By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has a game ever helped you through a crisis?

My mom passed away in June and that's really messed up my summer a lot. But, as fate would have it, I discovered this wonderful game called She Remembered Caterpillars later that month that has helped me through the grieving process. By "helped", I DON'T mean that it was just so entertaining that I couldn't help becoming distracted from my problems. No, I mean that it actually connnected with me on the subject of loss and grief. She Remembered Caterpillars is thematically about the inevitability of death and our desire to hang on and keep those we've lost alive in some way, even if it's only by keeping their name in circulation.

Especially when I was really in that moment, I HATED people telling me how to feel about my mom's death! What I wanted more than anything was for people to accept how I felt about it -- that I didn't want to let go -- and understand. That's all. I got that from She Remembered Caterpillars. I feel like the people who made this wonderful game have gone through similar experiences and just simply relate. That made me feel less alone. And THAT's what I needed. Not reassuring words that try to get me to forget about the one I lost and hurry up and let go. Just understanding.

Has a video game ever helped you through an especially difficult time in life?

Around the Network

Persona 4 Golden.Its tales about friendships and each hardships each one went through helped me when I had problems of my own with my friends and loved ones.

And I know you dont want to hear any of this, but I just really wanted to leave this one comment.Clinging to memories of your mother is fine.Its more than fine really, its healthy, as holding on to the happy memories of any loved one is important.But its more important to accept what happened and never cling only to the past.Otherwise this will eat you up inside.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Yeah, I was going through a really tough year in 2004 when I moved. Some really terrible and kinda brutal things were going on in my life and I rented Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for game cube and could really relate with the characters. I was so absorbed in that game that it was unbelievable. It really helped me find strength inside and became on of my favorite games of all times. I ended up buying the game when I was on the final Liquid fight :P Beat the game another 3 or so times.

You can bet that MGS4 hit me hard with all the Deja Vu from going through Shadow Moses. I had to try not to tear up and my heart would become very heavy. Overwhelmed from both the feelings of Joy and Sorrow rushing though me at the same time. (Ironic isn't it?!) I also cried like a little bitch during the Microwave scene. Seeing what happened to Naomi Hunter and Octacon fucking crushed me. Solid Snake suffering and all that other shit. MGS4 is also one of my favorite games of all times and effected me so powerfully on the emotional side.

I'm more or less still going through that process as my mother passed away in January. Games do help me from time to time, but I feel like interacting with friends helps me more.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Hmm. I just never thought of it like that. I've been gaming for about 25+ years, so it did in a lot of ways help me through some stuff. It's a really good distraction for when you're depressed, going through a rough time or stressed out.

Around the Network

I am not really like that myself. I generally play games when I'm in a good mood, if I'm feeling depressed or stressed out I tend not to play video games. So, I guess I'm not the same as you in that regard. But I'm glad that you had something to help you get through it.

Uncharted 4 came out right after my wife had left me. She was going through addiction issues - we tried to work it out but she decided not to come back. That game got me through some really dark days. Elena's scenes particularly hit me hard. I sent Naughty Dog, along with Neil and Bruce, a thank you message after I had beaten it. That game will always have a special place in my heart.

When I'm in a bad mood I tend not to play games otherwise I wouldn't enjoy playing it. That's just me however I have this weird opposite effect whenever​ I play the mass effect series lol.

Like something in my life gets F'ed up while I'm playing it :P

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Hmm...not sure if it's the same thing, but I played quite a bit of Fire Emblem Heroes the beginning of this year. My dad lost his battle with cancer in February, and was bed-ridden his last few weeks with us. I spent a lot of sitting next to him, waiting for him to wake up or be lucid enough to talk, so it was nice having a game I could play quickly and drop right away. It was a nice distraction to keep from getting overwhelmed emotionally while waiting, not deep enough that I would forget where I was whenever I put it aside to talk to him.

I suppose this would apply to a lot of mobile/handheld games...this just happened to be the one I had at the time.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Nowhere near a crisis, but FF Tactics on PS1 definitely helped me through a bout of depression in 7th grade.