By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The love of knowledge: my lust for all-things gaming

Now, I don't know about you guys, but personally, I love learning. I love reading about all sorts of subjects and topics, and in the past have spent numerous hours just searching up topics to increase my knowledge.

Now, considering that video games are one of my main interests, I have also spent a lot of time looking up info on that too! I love sites like Hardcore Gaming 101, which gives detailed write-ups on various different video game franchises, The Cutting Room Floor which shows content that was left in the files of the game but doesn't appear in the actual game itself, and others. I also love watching documentaries, ranging from the history of companies, consoles and gaming franchises, to the development history of video games. I love learning about retro games, from the mainstream to the obscure.

More recently, I've also tried learning about retro PC games. I have always mainly been a console gamer myself, so delving into the PC realm has opened up a new world that I still have a lot to learn about. I just love learning about video games so much! Thousands and thousands of titles to know about, so many different ideas represented, so many innovative titles, so many stories behind each and every one of them. I can't say for certain how many games I know of, but all I can say is that there are many more I don't know of, and that's what is importatnt

So guys, are you similar? Do you love learning about games? Or maybe you have a different hobby? I like learning about history, languages, politics and cultures too. But in terms of the nerdy/entertainment side, I've mainly been into video games, along with music (so, I do try to learn about different metal bands too). I guess I also was a huge fan of the WWE, so I did try to learn about that too. I assume that there are people here that are movie buffs, TV show buffs, anime buffs, manga buffs, and a wide assortment of others!! I'd love to discover new games courtesy of you guys, and it'd also be interesting to know what spurs your lust of knowledge!

Around the Network

Currently playing Bioshock on PC
Zelda DLC on Switch
Metal Gear Solid on 3DS
Limbo on iPad

Now you're learning

tripenfall said:

Currently playing Bioshock on PC
Zelda DLC on Switch
Metal Gear Solid on 3DS
Limbo on iPad

Now you're learning

I already am familiar with those games, but I guess I now know what you're playing!!

I agree completely, sometimes I find that I'm more in love with reading about the gaming industry than actually playing the games. And as far as games you should check out? The only one I can recommend is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Because it's my favorite game of all time, and while it's not that unknown of a game it's certainly a title that has slipped under the radar of some avid gamers.

So if you have the time I'd definitely say find a copy of this for the Gamecube or at least read up on it. It's an amazing psychological thriller and has an enthralling story. Especially if you enjoy Lovecraft inspired games, then this is a can't-miss experience.

A7XRayDog247 said:
I agree completely, sometimes I find that I'm more in love with reading about the gaming industry than actually playing the games. And as far as games you should check out? The only one I can recommend is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Because it's my favorite game of all time, and while it's not that unknown of a game it's certainly a title that has slipped under the radar of some avid gamers.

So if you have the time I'd definitely say find a copy of this for the Gamecube or at least read up on it. It's an amazing psychological thriller and has an enthralling story. Especially if you enjoy Lovecraft inspired games, then this is a can't-miss experience.

Man, I was so jealous of my uncle!! He found that game at a yard sale for less than a dollar, yet here I am, I unable to find the game for a decent price. I think I also have that problem, I read about games more than I actually play them.

Around the Network

I may have more to say later, but if you're interested in flexing your thinking muscle as well as experiencing "old school" PC games, then give the Myst series a whirl. No walkthroughs. I'll see you in a few months.

I've learned more about games then i've ever played them, for better or worse(i'd like to think it's for worse haha). Youtube is mostly at fault, it just makes it to addictive to hear other people analyze games. One series about semi-oldish games I LOVE is "Death of a game". It's about the death of games(mainly MMOs), or studios, and why it was caused. It's intersting, even if i've never really played an MMO before.

If you want to learn about old PC games, why not just play a few of them after getting some knowledge? I'd recommend Fallout 1-2 and DOOM.