By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 will beat Xbox One X due to price advantage, says analyst

PS4 will beat Xbox One X due to price advantage, says analyst

PS4 and Xbox One X are gearing up for a hardware battle later this year, but Michael Pachter reckons Sony’s machine has the advantage thanks to one key factor: Price.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has indicated that PlayStation 4 has little to worry about in regard to competition from the impending Xbox One X.

Speaking in the latest episode of Pachter Factor, the ubiquitous industry mouthpiece said that Microsoft’s upcoming high-end console is unlikely to sell well due to the simple fact it costs twice as much as Sony’s current-generation machine.

I think it won’t sell so well because it cost twice as much as  PlayStation 4,” said Pachter. “I mean I think that’s the easy answer and you know again PlayStation 4 and Xbox One S are nominally are priced at $299 and they’re pretty regularly discounted to $249 and they are almost always bundled with something so the $299 version you kind of have to be a moron to pay $299 for a console now and not get a piece of software for free which does have a perceived value of 50 bucks.”

You’ll be able to get to Christmas Xbox One X launch date and for $600 you can buy a PlayStation and an Xbox and get a piece of software for each for sure like I promised that and If you can’t get that I’ll give you the 50 bucks difference,” Pachter further stated. “I’ll give you software you’re going to find that during the Holiday Season between Black Friday and Christmas. I promise you at least 5 days in that period you will be able to buy each console for $300 and free pieces of software. For $600 you can buy both consoles and two games, and for $500 you can buy an Xbox One X and no games and if you want to buy two games at least another 100 bucks so the value proposition is ONE CONSOLE TWO GAMES or TWO CONSOLE TWO GAMES.”

Xbox One X has been a hot topic since its unveiling at E3 back in June, particularly when it comes to its performance in comparison to PS4 Pro. In particular, Sony has been accused of forcing parity between games on both systems, something which it has strenuously denied. 

In addition, while many gamers have expected a PS4 Pro price drop as a result of the Xbox One X’s release, the fact it’s priced significantly higher than Sony’s machine means we are unlikely to see a price cut before Christmas.

http://www.psu.com/news/33701/ps4-will-beat-xbox-one-price-advantage

Personal comment: Ya, it's another Pachter article.  Deal with it. 

Around the Network

Patcher strikes again!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I think Pachter is known well enough around here that he doesn't have to be referred to as "analyst" in the title. In any case, it's not like the goal of the XBOX was to outsell the PS4, not even MS expects that (or at least they shouldn't be!)

Playstation will win because Sony dominates Europe and the Xone isn't nearly as popular as the PS4. It has literally only won one week since launch due to PS4 shortages. Hell even the pro and Xone S will sell more than Xone X.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Probably the first piece of sense I've ever heard that guy say.
I love the new Scorpio but I agree that from a purely sales driven point of view the base model PS4 is going to take a gigantic turd over the PS4 Pro and Scorpio.
At the moment out of all PS4 sales the Pro only makes up for about 20% of sales with the base model outselling it
4-1
http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/06/06/ps4-pro-represents-nearly-one-in-every-five-ps4s-sold

4K screens look amazing, but the jump is premature. Just when FINALLY consoles were able to give us quality 1080p games @ 60FPS we had to get all excited about a resolution that frankly we haven't got the processing power for, but it might help to sell a few Sony Bravias along the way.

The Scorpio is a really cool niche product for the top end of town, a consumer that doesn't mind spending big money but for some reason doesn't want to buy a gaming PC. Patcher has this one right.....

Around the Network

This isn't even a debate.

The PS4/Pro will obliterate the One X. What people care about are games and price point, not whether this 4k or that 4k is the "fake" one.

Sure, they'll see that the X is the strongest, but it won't look so powerful when a $500 console is against a $250 console and a $350-400 one that also does 4k

Seems like the obvious answear.
People expecting the Xbox One X to suddenly drastically change how the Xbox One sells vs the PS4, are going to be dissapointed.

The Xbox One X wasn't even made to be competing with any of them though(perhaps that could change in the future I guess?), which is why Microsoft was fine with pricing it at $500 since they said they know this is a product for people who really want extra for their money and that it's more of a high quality item for people who are willing to pay for the best that's available right now.

A lot of people seem to be trying to paint it as Microsoft trying to overtake the PS4 with the Xbox One X but Microsoft has literally said the opposite of that this entire time. 

He just made X1X successful.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Whoever wrote that article sucks. The translation of what Pachter said is terrible.