By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 360, PS3 Wii, when will the next gen war start??

Anyone have any predictions? and why? Will Wii introduce something? the XBOX was a short lived lifespan, will the 360 be?

We know the PS3 is good to go for 10 years (graphically), they may even implement their own motion sensor with their strange hand type control patent.

Does 360 still stand a chance? What about Japan?

What about the HD DVD vs Blue RAY, who will win? Or will it end up like the VHS vs 4 head VHS vs beta?? Their eventually has to be one format for entertainment movies, history has proven it!

Around the Network
dpmnymkrprez said:

Anyone have any predictions? and why? Will Wii introduce something? the XBOX was a short lived lifespan, will the 360 be?

We know the PS3 is good to go for 10 years (graphically), they may even implement their own motion sensor with their strange hand type control patent.

Does 360 still stand a chance? What about Japan?

What about the HD DVD vs Blue RAY, who will win? Or will it end up like the VHS vs 4 head VHS vs beta?? Their eventually has to be one format for entertainment movies, history has proven it!

The PS3's graphics will be good for 10 years but the system will be in a similar position (graphically) as the Wii is when the next systems are released; in other words developers will still be able to do a lot but it will no longer be a selling feature of the system. What this means is that in 2011 it will need to be an affordable alternative to the newer systems and will need a steady supply of good games in order to remain in the race; two things that will be hard because of the high initial price and low initial sales.

Beyond that, between 2010 and 2012 all three systems will see follow up units ...

I'm pretty sure the next gen will start in 2011, PS3 is not set for 10 years graphically though... it won't be long before we'll have things similar to cell processor for the PC and bigger HDD, better GPU's etc. PC's strength is in that they're upgradeable all around PS3 really isn't so much, it will always be as it is except for minor changes like bigger hard drive new case etc. 360 stands a chance but doubtful it will come in first. About beta and the VHS formats, they existed for a while together before one ate the others. I really think HD-DVD vs Blu-ray will carry on a bit longer then it needs to as people are only recently upgrading from VHS - DVD in mass majority they just aren't ready for a new format.

Well you both have good comments, Lets play Devils advocate........We all know the XBOX was a flash in the pan and was prematurely scrapped for the 360, Anyone see this happening with PS3.........and at the time people were thinkin,3 years?? and MS wants a newer better system made??..... I think MS made a good decision, anyone think something like this will happen in .say 2 years or so??By then the 360 will be 4, pushing 5 years. If MS releases another one, the Wii will be forced to release another one(might not be ready)and will MS incorprate motion sensor? and if so, what about Sony?? then you are right and it wouldnt be for 10 years. any other takeers?

Only one thing is certain - the system with the lead will not launch the next-gen console first. They have no reason to - they're already winning, and starting a new-gen just brings about the end of your winning console sooner and starts a new cycle that you might not win. 360 came out so quick because the Xbox got its butt kicked by the PS2 so MS wanted a new start. Ditto for Sega with the DC after the Saturn, Saturn after the Genesis, Genesis after the Master System, etc. (man Sega was always launching early for all the good it ever did them).

Around the Network
DKII said:
Only one thing is certain - the system with the lead will not launch the next-gen console first. They have no reason to - they're already winning, and starting a new-gen just brings about the end of your winning console sooner and starts a new cycle that you might not win. 360 came out so quick because the Xbox got its butt kicked by the PS2 so MS wanted a new start. Ditto for Sega with the DC after the Saturn, Saturn after the Genesis, Genesis after the Master System, etc. (man Sega was always launching early for all the good it ever did them).

Excellent point, I think maybe the wii , will get overconfident(winning) then I think out of nowwhere someone will announce, that not only have they been working on, but are going to launch something superior and catch everyone with their pants down.

ps2 has been out for 7 years so whos to say that the ps3 cant last for ten

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Next Gen War has already started, about half a year ago, when the PS3, and Wii were released. And URNotE, the PS2 was a major success, which is why it lasted for 7 years. The PS3, in comparison to the PS2, is a complete failure, and might not even last 1 year. I know I'm over exaggerating, but don't expect the PS3 to last longer than the PS2, because that is highly unlikely.