By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In some ways Microsoft have the right idea

I'm willing to rebuy old games on new platforms though. So I dont quite care about MS's way of doing things.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
konnichiwa said:
I think PS5 will have BC, PS3 digital games were not so popular like they are now, I expect a lot of people never bought a retail game digitally on PS3 but did on PS4. I expect that at some point PS3 PSN will go down and all your digital games are gone.

You like other people's misfortune ?

Not really but it is simply the truth, so many mp games have closed servers it is just a matter of time.

LethalP said:

What do you think? Should Sony be focusing on an ecosystem instead of resetting their library every generation, falling behind the competiton in choice?

Every generation? PS2 played PS1 games, and the early PS3 played PS1 and PS2 games.  It was great having three systems in one, but it didn't sell that well and lost Sony lots of money. PS4 has been a huge success for them and seem to focus on streaming for older titles.  I think PS5 might have BC assuming they do similar architechture, but Sony has been told by the market that they value big new third and first party titles over older games.

konnichiwa said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

You like other people's misfortune ?

Not really but it is simply the truth, so many mp games have closed servers it is just a matter of time.

I see.

Zkuq said:
Weak backwards compatibility and related uncertainty is probably the biggest reason I'm steering further and further away from console gaming and towards PC gaming. I've been more of a PC gamer almost always, but I didn't really have anything against console gaming either. I started to like console gaming less and less during the 7th generation, and now I don't like it very much anymore.

This.

Also the lack of consistant performance across the board has also had me sticking more with PC, as I could simply upgrade my hardware if the performance isn't up to spec or even mod the game, with consoles it's you being stuck with the same spec and same eprfromance level as everyone else who bought the same console.

The way console gaming is atm doesn't appeal to me, especially with the way things have been going this gen. I hoenstly don't see PSn going "toe to toe" with Steam and all the other clients, let alone dominating and decimating all of them at once. What I want is on PC or goes to PC and that keeps me going. MS isn't really getting my money much these days because they don't release to where I buy my games from (GoG, Origin, Battle.net, Steam etc), they've also shown over the decade or two that they aren't really that fussed about improving their image and products within PC gaming, which makes them the last company I'd want to buy from.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I don't mind playing old games, as long as they're retooled for VR. (Rez Infinite best so far, can't wait to play Skyrim on psvr) HD remakes are fine too (Ico/Sotc HD, Windwaker HD amazing). Replaying a few older games with a new GPU to run them beyond max settings used to be fun (FSX, HL2, it's been a while since I played on PC)

Replaying games with BC not so much. They don't have enough upgrades to make it feel new and it almost always disappoints due to the nostalgia effect. The only BC games I've finished were FF12 and GoW2 since I played them for the first time on ps3. With everything that I played before, half an hour of reliving the past is usually enough.

For all the complaints about remasters, Crash Bandicoot is selling gangbusters. I doubt it would have even made a blip if it was simply a digital BC version on psn. How much did this version sell https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ca/games/crash-bandicoot-(ps3-psp)/cid=UP9000-NPUI94900_00-COMBINED00000001

LethalP said:

See to me one of the biggest draws to a platform like Steam is the ability to play a game as old as Half Life 1 and Overwatch under the same service. We don't think of that as backwards compatibility, it's just an old game we can play on any modern PC thanks to Steam. Imagine if PS and Xbox let you do the same but with their library? I could go buy a PS1 game as easily as buying the newest game and it would all be under the PSN service. They would carry over to new PS consoles as they release just like Steam games do on new PC's. That's what I think MS are trying to achieve. Their 360 emulation can only get better as time passes and Xbox consoles become more powerful. It's a long term process and I think MS have it right.

How is PC a "service"?. PC is a platform, Steam is the store. Overwatch is also sold on an entirely different store, same with EA's games as well. You have multiple companies out there with multiple stores, while consoles only go via one store that's built into their console.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Nymeria said:
LethalP said:

What do you think? Should Sony be focusing on an ecosystem instead of resetting their library every generation, falling behind the competiton in choice?

Every generation? PS2 played PS1 games, and the early PS3 played PS1 and PS2 games.  It was great having three systems in one, but it didn't sell that well and lost Sony lots of money. PS4 has been a huge success for them and seem to focus on streaming for older titles.  I think PS5 might have BC assuming they do similar architechture, but Sony has been told by the market that they value big new third and first party titles over older games.

Every generation going forward I mean. I'm talking about the long term though. Over time Sony could build their ecosystem to have PS1/PS2/PS3 and PS4 games under the same roof, all purchaseable on PSN. The same way we can buy any game from Wolfenstein 3D to CoD on Steam, why not be able to access any PS title on your latest Playstation? Create a culture like Steam where they encourage people to buy games of all ages, where it's shelf life is beyond the few months it's relevant in the media. But still have the new games, everything Sony is doing now plus the vast PS library at your whim.

I don't even think they should market it as backwards compatability, just have it be an all encompasing library of PS games on PSN. Even if it isn't disc based. Like Steam for PS games.

Chazore said:
LethalP said:

See to me one of the biggest draws to a platform like Steam is the ability to play a game as old as Half Life 1 and Overwatch under the same service. We don't think of that as backwards compatibility, it's just an old game we can play on any modern PC thanks to Steam. Imagine if PS and Xbox let you do the same but with their library? I could go buy a PS1 game as easily as buying the newest game and it would all be under the PSN service. They would carry over to new PS consoles as they release just like Steam games do on new PC's. That's what I think MS are trying to achieve. Their 360 emulation can only get better as time passes and Xbox consoles become more powerful. It's a long term process and I think MS have it right.

How is PC a "service"?. PC is a platform, Steam is the store. Overwatch is also sold on an entirely different store, same with EA's games as well. You have multiple companies out there with multiple stores, while consoles only go via one store that's built into their console.

Overwatch was a bad example, I just mean games of any age. I also mean't Steam as a service like Xbox Live and PSN.

LethalP said:
Chazore said:

Overwatch was a bad example, I just mean games of any age. I also mean't Steam as a service like Xbox Live and PSN.

Yeah but you're just amounting Steam as if it's the only client for PC and the only "service". PC has multiple clients out there, consoles only have but one, so you can't really mold PC into being exactly like PSN/XBL, you aren't even paying online on PC either.