By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The BEST ever! & My FAVE ever! (read OP)

Simply do 2 things. First post what you think is the best game ever made and briefly why. Then post your favorite game ever and briefly why it is so.

The BEST EVER!- Pac-Man. Why? It's the perfect game when you think about it. Besides being one of the first gaming Icons the game had "Pac Fever" for a reasons and why to this day 30+ years later people still play Pac-Man. The game is timeless. It does not age. Google let's you play it free if you google Pac-Man. It's easily one of the most replayable games ever made as well. Yes there is more complex games but that's the point. Pac-man's simplicity is what keeps it the best game ever made. This game is not one of my favorites at all. In fact I was never a huge fan. I do recognized there is a good reason it's still played today when no one now remembers Robo Dangar despite how awesome that game is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pacman&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7i632uZ3VAhVpx1QKHf_-C0AQ_AUICSgA&biw=1216&bih=600&dpr=1.58#clb=clb

My favorite EVER!- Ys Books I&II TurboGrafx16 version. This is one of the best games ever from a company called Falcom. They created the very first JRPG and guess what...it was an Action RPG in 1984. Ys is kind alike Zelda as a RPG on SPEED. Short as it's onlyt 12 hours each game. It's 12 hours of gaming bliss however. TG16 verison has the first voice acting in a JRPG...and it's actually GOOD! The music by Yuzo Koshiro is his best work ever IMO. In fact it's my favorite OST to any game ever. On the surface nothing truly stands out. You buy armor go form town to town. Kill bosses in dungeons. Thing is with the music and speed you do it makes it so fun. The intro on the TG16 version STILL gives me chills everytime I see it. This was the first CD based console and boy tey showed it off well.  There is a good reason this game has quielty become one of the most ported video games in history.

Around the Network

I really admire people's ability to look at old retro games like Pac-Man and explain how it's one of the greatest gaming experiences due to it's simplicity, though it's a bit of a worn out point and you could easily say it for just about any early video game. I wish more developers would try to emulate the simplicity of these games in 3D spaces. I want to play a video game and get to it - there's rarely a need for tutorials and the like.

To go on a bit of a rant - the best game ever, and your favorite game ever, are the same exact thing. Seeing people try to judge games on an objective merit is ludicrous because while it's great to try and be objective as a reviewer, we can never achieve true objectivity. This ultimately stumps "best game ever" lists and makes them increasingly less interesting because everyone talks about the same games. You can explain objectivity and the parameters around it(innovation, story, fun factor etc.) but you can never explain the objective merit of which games are supposed to be held to because it doesn't exist, it's just an opinion.

Games are by definition supposed to entertain you, and I don't just mean in the "fun" kind of way, I mean they're supposed to pull you through a set group of emotions to keep your brain busy. If one game entertains you more than another, it is the better game, because by definition the developers accomplished their objective better in that game than in the other one. As great as it is that Pac Man has lived on, I wouldn't call it the best game ever because there are so many other games more representative of what gaming can do that Pac-Man. Pac-Man has also lived on as a small time-waster instead of the Phenomena it used to be.

I do like your points a lot though. I almost bought YS on steam on a whim a couple of times - maybe it's time to just do it!

Personally I would say Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, very generic picks and the like. 

There is no "best game ever". Such a premise would imply that all people are the same, which they are not. That's why I think the worst part of gaming fandom, by far, are the elitists who try to dictate what is and is not a "game".

Now, that being said, I think Chess is the most well-designed game I've ever played by far.

Regarding games like Pac-man, one of the negatives of the rise of the NES as opposed to the Atari generation was that, for awhile, games were generally memory based as opposed to reflex based. That means that once you learned a level, you pretty much mastered it. I remember reaching a point where I could beat every NES game I owned within minutes while barely paying attention.

My favorite game ever is Final Fantasy Tactics. I used to fire it up and run a level in Deep Dungeon any chance I had. I got every weapon, item, skill, and character. All my characters were max level, with all abilities. It was just a blast to play.

I wish we had more intros like the one in the OP. That is indeed a good voiceover.

Best Ever: Perhaps.. if we were to be objective, I would have to give it to Diablo 2. Aged well. Simple to get, Good amount of lore, interesting world and characters, timeless and addicting gameplay, it still has it all, 17 years after its release.

Favorite: Depending on the week, I will either say FFX or Persona 3. Both games, to me, are a deep journey - wonderful characters, stories, while not super original, are beautifully told, the music is a perfect fit, the atmosphere is there, and, they do what few other games can for me: they pull me deep into their world. I would write more if I had more time, so I will finish here!

So the video I posted. The narrator is the same voice actor who did Skeletor in He-Man. Go figure lol!

Around the Network
pokoko said:
There is no "best game ever".

pokoko said:
There is no "best game ever". Such a premise would imply that all people are the same, which they are not. That's why I think the worst part of gaming fandom, by far, are the elitists who try to dictate what is and is not a "game".

Now, that being said, I think Chess is the most well-designed game I've ever played by far.

Regarding games like Pac-man, one of the negatives of the rise of the NES as opposed to the Atari generation was that, for awhile, games were generally memory based as opposed to reflex based. That means that once you learned a level, you pretty much mastered it. I remember reaching a point where I could beat every NES game I owned within minutes while barely paying attention.

My favorite game ever is Final Fantasy Tactics. I used to fire it up and run a level in Deep Dungeon any chance I had. I got every weapon, item, skill, and character. All my characters were max level, with all abilities. It was just a blast to play.

Nothing that is objectively chosen as so. Many that are subjectivley chosen as so becaus ealmost everyone thinks they know it and that's partly why the topic exists.

Aah, this reminds me of the Screwattack show "The Best Ever!" where members would give their own answer to the question and it would be a different topic each time. That was a good one...

Anyways, my BEST EVER game would probably be Chrono Trigger? It just feels so expertly made from the excellent cast, presentation, story, music and gameplay. It feels practically flawless to me. Few games feel as well made as that game.

As for my favorite ever, maybe Tetris Attack? It's my absolute favorite puzzle game. Trying to make matches of 3 and have more blocks fall into sets or 3 or more for as long as you can, while trying to crush your opponent as well as stay alive from their incoming blocks with a quick pace makes for intense battles. I used to play this daily when I had spare time, and talking about it now makes me wanna play it. One game I could go back to anytime.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread