By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft and Sony are destroying their (and each other's) gaming business

Username2324 said:

^Last time I checked Microsoft was more in the hole than Sony, and to offset PS3 losses Sony has 2 other profitable gaming consoles out that are selling well. Sony has brand exclusives that Microsoft can never buy, while as you stated, Microsoft has to buy their exclusives, I don't think you're looking at the entire picture and I laugh at you for saying "Microsoft smells blood in the water." for if it is anyones blood it is Microsoft smelling their own blood.

Your logic in "Microsoft will use their longer production run to continually push down prices" is flawed, for the technology in the PS3 is so much more advance than the 360, as we all know technology prices drop radically every year, but what you fail to realize is that the technology in the 360 is so simple it can only get so much cheaper than it already is, while in the PS3, there is vast opportunity for reducing cost.

You also forget that Sony has been in this a lot longer than Microsoft, and they know where their money should be going, while Microsoft is throwing away 50 million for some extra content on a single game. I think it's safe to say Sony has atleast a few more tricks up their sleeve while MS has fired their big guns and were unsuccessful in stopping Sony.

You go on my 360 fanboy list.

According to the numbers provided in posts paragraph 1 goes out the window. Sony stands to lose over $3 billion soon and its losses are accelarating not slowing down. MS has managed to make a profit. Overall MS's pocket are much deeper than Sony's so comparing that point is moot. Sony stands no chance in a battle of deeper pockets.

Paragraph 2 is a myth started by... Sony. The hardware (CPU+Buses) are not more advanced just different unless you want to claim old Apples were faster than PC's. Take the hint they werent for 99% of normal usage and most of the time they were slower just like the PS3 has been proven to be slower in many x-platform games.

Sony as a company has some of the worst leadership I have ever had the displeasure of working for. I wouldnt go back to work for them for any reason except for doubling my salary then maybe I would put up with their internal BS and their lack of motivation/skill. Sony is in bad shape at this time.

For the record, I dislike MS/Nintendo just as much as Sony which is why I havent baught a console yet... although I am leaning towards the 360 for certain games.

Around the Network

I hear a lot of people saying Microsoft has deeper pockets. That's true. But Microsoft are not dumb enough to just keep sitting still and losing money! To be honest, if Microsoft comes out of this generation in the red again. I think their best option is to become like Sega and just make and publish games. They can become another EA if they wanted to lol.

"Microsoft and Sony are destroying their (and each other's) gaming business"

??? Competition is mostly beneficial. So the business does win. The profit of the two companies may not benefit but I am a consumer so who cares.

u2rocksbaby said:
Auron said:
NJ5 said:
libellule said:
NJ5,

YEAH YEAH, I know it

but it doesn't count the total PS sales, does it ?

whatever, let's say they made 3 billions (at very best) on the PS/PS2, so it is obvious they have lost everything.

True I was just comparing with PS2, not PS1.

They haven't lost everything, it's just kind of amazing that not even a PS2-like success would be enough to recover their losses with the PS3. Those losses are just unbelievable (almost as unbelievable as MS's losses with the original Xbox).

I'm going to bed pretty soon as I have to work tomorrow, so see you.

@Auron: Sorry but I'm not here to feed trolls anymore, I'd rather reply to well made posts like most of the other ones in the thread.

Yea it's much easier to pay attention to the posts praising how smart you are then to those which disagree with you. Alright i won't post anymore in this thread either. I await your next thread of bias.

Wow, what a complete troll. I'm suprised no one's told this guy to shove it. The OP didn't even mention the Wii, probably to avoid the notion that he might be a fanboy. Try reading posts next time for what they are: opinions to be respected...dumbass...

Wow... Way to go on you're first 4 posts. I never intended to enter their conversation till you did. All I can say is keep out of it. You know their after each others necks already. You're just advocating the fued.

Only two billion Dollars ? for the whole Ps2 thing ? thats nothing i cant believe it 120 Mio Consoles to an average price of maybe 200 Dollars are 24 billion plus maybe 600 Mio games for maybe 20 billions and 6 Billions for gamepads memory cards about 50 Billion Dollars so the Profit is only about 4% ? and all that money they lost on PS3 ? 11 Mio Consoles 200 Dollar los per console is 2.2 Billions But i read a long time ago that the losses are only 100-150 Dollar and you shouldnt forget Europe because there one console was on the beginning 599 Dollar sometimes even more at this time that was 800 Dollar per console and now the cheapest modell costs 399 thats 630 Dollar i think in Europe they make profits and they sold 5 Mio in Europe if they should lose even in Europe 100 Dollar they would lose in the U.S about 350 Dollar per console thats impossible. theynever lost 2 bln to Ps3 maybe in US and Japan thats 6.5 Mio the lost about 150 Dollar thats 1 bln

Around the Network

Netyaroze, Sony uses a lost leader strategy. It took Sony years to make money off of the PS2 hardware. This took a huge chunk out of the profits Sony garnered from its own software sales and licensing fees. Sony didn't make a profit off the PS2's hardware until its third year on the market and if you noticed that when they made the most money the PS2. When you use that type of strategy it great reduces your profits to create a larger userbase that the company hopes will make up for their initial losses.

"This took a huge chunk out of the profits Sony garnered from its own software sales and licensing fees. "

There are two additional small things.

First the PSP which is Sonys first ever handheld, so you can add its development and launch costs to the profit of the gaming division if you want to know how much money the PS2 made them. (It will be many hundreds of millions or billions by itself)

Secondly 2 billion 2000 are (for a public traded company) almost 4 billion 2008 because they expect a return on investment of 8%.

So the PS2 made them much more money than you implied.

NJ5 said:

they're competing so fiercely that the only winners in the business seem to be the CONSUMERS

Oh no!  The consumers are doing well!  How can we fix this?!