By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online app available for download today

How do you like the app?

Greatest thing since sliced bread 0 0%

Ok ... I guess? 3 30.00%

Why Nintendo! WHY! 7 70.00%

Total:10

Cool app.

Around the Network

If the Wii U can have built in VC, I still don't know why the Switch doesn't :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Ljink96 said:
Slarvax said:

You can't lock your phone while using it.

Sounds like garbage to me. Hopefully the Discord thing goes through. Or better yet, just use discord on your phone...

Yeah, I've already used Discord voice chat while playing on the Switch.

Nintendo doesn't care about people going online on their own. They hate the image of the lone gamer staring at the TV in a darkened room. Their focus is siblings, real life friends, spouses and families going online together. Having to dress up like an airline pilot just to speak to people online is overkill when everyone has an 'always on' communication device in their pocket.

It's Wii Speak 2.0 and it isn't aimed at the GTA/FPS gang. It's for local mp-online games like ARMS, Mario Kart, Just Dance, FIFA and Minecraft. It's the simplest, cheapest, most portable and versatile solution to going online with more than one person.

Also, Nintendo can now tailor their online games to take advantage of cellphone tech like GPS for Pokemon or camera/video functionality without having it built into the system itself.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

VGPolyglot said:
Ljink96 said:

Sounds like garbage to me. Hopefully the Discord thing goes through. Or better yet, just use discord on your phone...

Do you currently like how the Discord app works?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do you currently like how the Discord app works?

Well, it's not integrated with the Switch, but yeah, it's nice being able to talk to multiple people while playing it.

ktay95 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What about when you're playing at home and do have a constant internet connection?

And what about if you're a Windows phone user and couldn't use the app even if you wanted to?

Windows Phone user

That's like buying a Vita and bitching about Mario and Pokemon not releasing on it

Minecraft on Switch. 

Gourmet said:
Sideloading on the console would require RAM and CPU reserved ALL THE TIME. Like games can't even use 3GB of the RAM on XBO/PS4. For a feature less than 2% use even in highly teamplay games like MOBAs. Seriously, this is for the better.

Or, you know, have a device powerful enough to handle it to satisfy all of your users instead of just the people who don't use it anyway?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ktay95 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What about when you're playing at home and do have a constant internet connection?

And what about if you're a Windows phone user and couldn't use the app even if you wanted to?

Windows Phone user

That's like buying a Vita and bitching about Mario and Pokemon not releasing on it

Because yeah, it's known that your console gaming options depend on the mobile phone you own, so you have to plan your next 3 to 5 years of consoles and games purchases when you want to buy a new phone. 

"You don't own the latest Sony Xperia? Too bad, you can't turn on your PS4 anymore." Sounds legit, right? 

The arguments that some people defending this present are hilarious, from the "airline pilot" thing (it certainly easier to disable your phone from locking itself), to freeing up technical resources (didn't stop the Dreamcast from producing great games), to this being the next logical step from their advancement into mobile (Sony actually makes phones, didn't push them toward retarded decisions though).

This is an ad-hoc afterthought and it needs to be rectified. This "solution" is in every way inferior to most other options available to people.