By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-rays sale percentage tracking

Great thread thank you SSJ12

JUST REMEMBER!!! HOW BIGGER THE SIG, HOW SMALLER THE ****

Around the Network
leo-j said:
akuma587 said:
One of the best things Blu-Ray has going for it is consumer satisfaction. Studies have shown that aroun 85-90% who made the shit to hi-def are glad they did. Hi-def media is a good product, with a lot of potential for the future, the key is just convincing people to make the switch. People are familiar with discs, so that may make it easier. The added bonus of making their old DVD's look better is great too, although it may cut into BD catalog sales.

Thats not funny man, SD is not $hit.

Nice, that was a pretty good typo you caught there.  Must have been a Freudian slip on my part.  SD-DVD still has plenty of uses for me because I can pirate it very easily.  It is still too cost-prohibitive on Blu-Ray, although I am sure I'll be doing it eventually.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD.

3/28: Blu-ray 88% HD-DVD 12% DVD 94% Blu-ray 6% - Source

That 94% vs 6% number is *completely* misleading as that is the BD top 20 vs the DVD top 20. Considering there has been no huge releases lately and there's a much smaller set of BD discs for new BD owners (and old BD owners alike) to choose from compared to DVD, comparing such a tiny fraction of the market (only top 20) will *heavily* favor BD.

The number could very well be 98% DVD vs 2% BD.

you can't compare a product 8 years ago vs a product now very easy. Thats like saying the PS2 is killing the Wii in sales this generation. You can only compare the top selling titles. Nielson VideoScan is highly respected in the industry so if they wish to track the top 20 best selling titles of the week I'm not arguing and you shouldn't either.

I'm not arguing, I'm simply stating the fact that it is misleading. They're comparing such a tiny section of the market and therefore it is going to be very favorable to BD, which doesn't have the breadth of DVD. That's my only contingency, and my contingency is correct.

There's nothing wrong with Nielson -- they even state that they're only comparing the top 20. It's up to the reader to realize what that means, and I'm only pointing this out so that all of the readers have an extra chance to notice it.

Look at the releases for DVD.  Nothing.  No good new releases, nothing that will get a lot of sales. So while DVD owners are buying outside of the new releases list, and BD owners are as well, BD owners are more likely to be buying the same 20 DVDs because they have many, many fewer to choose from.  Before you get excited about that 8%, realize that it is an incomplete and temporary number.  We don't even know what movies are in the top 20 for each.

ssj12 said:
TheBigFatJ said:
ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD.

3/28: Blu-ray 88% HD-DVD 12% DVD 94% Blu-ray 6% - Source

That 94% vs 6% number is *completely* misleading as that is the BD top 20 vs the DVD top 20.  Considering there has been no huge releases lately and there's a much smaller set of BD discs for new BD owners (and old BD owners alike) to choose from compared to DVD, comparing such a tiny fraction of the market (only top 20) will *heavily* favor BD.

The number could very well be 98% DVD vs 2% BD.

you can't compare a product 8 years ago vs a product now very easy.  Thats like saying the PS2 is killing the Wii in sales this generation.  You can only compare the top selling titles.  Nielson VideoScan is highly respected in the industry so if they wish to track the top 20 best selling titles of the week I'm not arguing and you shouldn't either.

Actually it is funny that you should bring up the argument of the PS2.  Isn't the same type of thing happening with the PS2 software sales?  Because the majority of it's title fall oustide the top 200, those sales don't get added to the totals for PS2 software.  PS2 software is actually probably the best selling from week to week, but because it is spread across so many titles below the top 200, the real total doesn't show up.

I know you are just trying to work with the data that is available, but you have to understand some of the counter aguments as to why this isn't a good comparison of the Bluray vs DVD markets.  I would really like to see what percantage of sales for each format are in the top 20 only.  It would be nice to see what the true market percantages are.

Updated

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Pretty slow week except for Alvin and the Chipmunks.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD. Blu-ray vs DVD average life to date (ALTD) totals are done by me as a track of the average of the % since this began.

3/23: Blu-ray 88% HD-DVD 12% LTD: 67/33 DVD 94% Blu-ray 6% ALTD: 94/6 - Source

3/30: Blu-ray 84% HD-DVD 16% LTD: 67/33 DVD 92% Blu-ray 8% ALTD: 97/3 - Source

4/6: Blu-ray 64% HD-DVD 36% LTD: 67/33 DVD 96% Blu-ray 4% ALTD: 97/3 - Source

misleading title, misleading first post, misleading thread.  Nowhere in the title or start of the thread does it even say that it's only the top 20 titles.  I can't believe you're so brainwashed to think it's only viable to compare the top 20 and anything below that doesn't matter.  I'm sure every title out of the top 20 of blu-ray is selling at or near triple digets and that's exactly why they close to do this misleading comparison.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
ssj12 said:

This thread is to track the weekly sales percentages posted by Neilson VideoScan for Blu-ray vs HD-DVD and Blu-ray vs DVD. Blu-ray vs DVD average life to date (ALTD) totals are done by me as a track of the average of the % since this began.

misleading title, misleading first post, misleading thread.  Nowhere in the title or start of the thread does it even say that it's only the top 20 titles.  I can't believe you're so brainwashed to think it's only viable to compare the top 20 and anything below that doesn't matter.  I'm sure every title out of the top 20 of blu-ray is selling at or near triple digets and that's exactly why they close to do this misleading comparison.

here is the hole in your argument, this is exactly how Nielson started tracking VHS vs DVD, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, VHS vs Beta-Max. So taking that into account their samples of numbers will grow as Blu-ray grows.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
johnsobas said:
ssj12 said:

misleading title, misleading first post, misleading thread. Nowhere in the title or start of the thread does it even say that it's only the top 20 titles. I can't believe you're so brainwashed to think it's only viable to compare the top 20 and anything below that doesn't matter. I'm sure every title out of the top 20 of blu-ray is selling at or near triple digets and that's exactly why they close to do this misleading comparison.

here is the hole in your argument, this is exactly how Nielson started tracking VHS vs DVD, Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, VHS vs Beta-Max. So taking that into account their samples of numbers will grow as Blu-ray grows.

lol, that's not a hole at all.  It doesn't matter if that's how they tracked in the past, it's a very biased way of tracking something.

Also saying that their samples will grow when it starts to favor Blu-ray is exactly my point about why this is a biased way of tracking. 

Also this week when HDDVD market share jumps 20% it should be a good indication of how small the market still is.