By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 70% of Millennials Believe U.S. Student Loan Debt Poses Bigger Threat to U.S. Than North Korea

Nymeria said:
eva01beserk said:

I get your point, but it is still up to the individual to accept the terms of that investment by doing a cost/ benefict analisis. If this generation(By the way am part of the millenial generation and did not comit this mistake) sees value in it then its their fault. There are cheaper schools to attend, there are part time clases, there is no need to go out of stated and dorm whyle you can do anything from home. So even whyle its true that education cost have skyrocketed and salarys have decline it still up to the individual to at least think before they act and get into so much debt and for what. 

But like I said before, it was the High Schools that encourage this behaviour. they thought us that we could do anything and the money would come later, just that we needed a college degree to be succesfull. I had many friends who where duped, but I just happened to like medecine and engeniring, a lot where interested in fashion, games, sports and other nonsense now most work in retail. Its not the kids problem is improper education by the teachers before we decided to go to college and Im pretty sure thats something that still goes on.

In my experience the average person doesn't understand finances, and the 16-25 year bracket even less so.  Asking them to figure it out has in part led us down this path.  Can call it condescending, but these things need to be explained to them.  I know many parents with good intentions put pressure on the golden ticket of university and how it assured middle class status.  Why I mentioned a new conversation needs to be had about education, training, and careers.  We, as in millenials, are the first generation since the depression era to take a step backward financially and that new normal brings adjusted expectations.

I think we mostly agree that inflated expectations have come crashing down on people in their 20s and 30s.  I think high school should be more job and life oriented with a subject simply called "life" where you learn skills around the house, understand taxes, how to do all sorts of basic aspects of being an adult.  I know some really smart 18-22 year olds who revert back to 12 year olds when it comes to capacity to take care of themselves and handle adult situations.

Agree with you there 100%

at the bolded, How could I forget that it was thanks to my parents that basicly stoped me and grounded my thoughts about going to a really expensive university. If I dint have the parents I have who might as well said yea, go to any uni you want, even as an engenier I would be like 80k under and that would suck. Thankfully I worked part time, my parents convinced me to go to a cheaper school and they paid for most of it so I got out debt free.

I guess I was braging and I was about to do something almost as stupid myself :p

But still, its in high school that it should have been thought and why most kids are going through this issue.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Cirio said:
I agree with what eva01beserk said. High schools do a TERRIBLE job at explaining the scope of college and finances. It's kind of ridiculous that 18 year olds who have lived with their parents their entire lives and have had little to no responsibilities are immediately expected to make $30,000+ decisions in a matter of weeks. An Intro to College, or an Intro to Finance class should be MANDATORY in all US high schools, but unfortunately schools would rather focus on simplifying their curriculum so they can boast "higher graduation rates". In this day and age with rising costs everywhere, schools should empower their students to learn more about money.

I fell in this exact trap myself. It was further exasperated because I am an immigrant and had no clue about American finance. My family thought college was the "golden ticket" to the American dream, and my high school
further promoted that belief, though their intentions were to brag about what % of their graduating class was going to college, rather than helping their students make educated decisions. Fortunately, I chose the medical field and am about to become a doctor, so I'm good. However, most of my high school peers who went to college did absolutely nothing worthwhile with their degrees, and are now working as waiters, cashiers and tellers with 30K+ in debt.

Yea, they are basicly just kids who where given a lot of money, its just ovbious that they will blow it. Lets just hope things take a turn for the better in the next 5 years. As I hear, high school kids today see the mess new college grads are and are learning from it. I wish I could remember the article i read and post it here. But thanks t the internet and how winy most of thouse millenial faliures are, its spread wide that poor education is not benefitial. I dont remember if it said anything about debt, or if debt for a good degree was worth it, all I remember was that they planed to stay away from useles degres.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Quick question: how do you end up in this much debt as a student? I know in the USA you have to pay for college, but aren't there state alternatives as well? Why do you get student loans aside from paying for college?

JinxRake said:
Quick question: how do you end up in this much debt as a student? I know in the USA you have to pay for college, but aren't there state alternatives as well? Why do you get student loans aside from paying for college?

You can only a get a scholarship if you are smart and have enough luck