By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony US to shut down some servers

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130748

Sony America is pulling the online server plug on some of its old PS2 and PSP games.

Support for around a dozen titles will end on 30th June, according to dbTechno.

The better known titles are Lemmings on PS2 and PSP, plus Everybody's Golf and Jak X on PS2.

Sony Europe was unavailable for comment.

The full list of games losing online support is below.

PS2 Games

• Amplitude
  • Destruction Derby Arenas
  • Everybody's Golf
  • EyeToy Chat
  • F1 '04
  • Jak X
  • Lemmings PS2
  • My Street
  • Syphon Filter Omega Strain
  • This is Football 2004
  • This is Football 2005
  • Twisted Metal: Black Online

PSP Games

• Lemmings
  • World Tour Soccer 2

Around the Network

Ohhh

I thought they wanted to shutdown ALL their PSP/PS2 server and that sounded very bad to me.

I assume some people use their PS2 to play online (FFXI, MGS3)

Time to Work !

Sorry ... I know Im rude , but this is old ... ~ 3 days old ( wich means ~ 3 years on the internet ) :P ( jk ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

So this what they were talking about by saying "focusing PS2 owners to upgrade to the PS3" I get it now,

libellule said:
Ohhh

I thought they wanted to shutdown ALL their PSP/PS2 server and that sounded very bad to me.

I assume some people use their PS2 to play online (FFXI, MGS3)

MGS3 servers have been down for a long time now.  But that isn't Sony.

Around the Network

Well I suppose suuport had to end some time, it was porbaly costing money for sony to support the service which given the (likely) small numbers of people using it just didn't make it worthwhile. Sucks for any online PS2 owners though.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I don't agree with them shutting down PSP servers in a time when the system is still very active. Anyone that now buys either Lemmings or World Tour Soccer would expect the advertised online to work, because the PSP is still current. Yet another blunder by Sony rearing it's ugly head.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
I don't agree with them shutting down PSP servers in a time when the system is still very active. Anyone that now buys either Lemmings or World Tour Soccer would expect the advertised online to work, because the PSP is still current. Yet another blunder by Sony rearing it's ugly head.

I wouldn't really call it a blunder, there's only going to be a handful of people who want to play Lemmings online on their PSP. It looks like Sony didn't shut down any of the popular servers (I'm only guessing this from the fact that neither Ratchet nor Killzone were on the list).

Onyxmeth said:

Funny ... I actually went online with Lemmings ( EU ) a year ago , where the game even had downloadable maps ( Im not shure over the US ) and the servers where empty . Afther my many trials I found 2 guys , from what I can tell playing an arranged game . So no , its not a huge loss ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Doesn't seem to bad. More like shutting down servers that almost nobody uses anymore ('And that's how it should be) in contrast to the EA approach of shutting down servers of games that have their second incremental update (pardon new version) to force users to shell out another 60 bucks for the same game.