By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will there be a market for a N64 mini next year?

Exactly this.  Build a Raspberry Pi and see how that N64 works for ya.  A PSX mini would be easier.

Around the Network

I'm going to wait until the NES super mini comes out, NES mini with 100 games!

Yes definitely, but only if it includes Rare games. They also could release a NES classic second edition with more games.

A lot of the top games were produced by Rare, it'll be interesting to see what they decide to do

I think it could happen, but it may end up being the last of 'classic' systems from Nintendo. I don't think they'd do a gamecube classic.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
JRPGfan said:
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Dr. Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party 3
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Starfox 64
LoZ Majora's Mask
LoZ Ocarina of time
Yoshi's Story

^ I could see something like this on a N64 mini.
Just not sure its enough.

I know they would work out the rights for some Rare games on there. Microsoft seems to be pretty chummy with Nintendo right now.

Projected price: $89.99

They're priming us for a $100 GC-Mini :)

Hardly N64 Mini would be only $10 more expensive than SNES Mini when we know that SNES Mini is $20 more expensive than NES Mini. Most likely price would be $100.

JRPGfan said:
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Dr. Mario 64
Mario Golf
Mario Party 3
Paper Mario
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Starfox 64
LoZ Majora's Mask
LoZ Ocarina of time
Yoshi's Story

^ I could see something like this on a N64 mini.
Just not sure its enough.

This plus:

Turok

Perfect Dark

Goldeneye 007

Blast Corps

Ogre Battle 64

For an excellent library of just under 18 games.

An N64 Mini faces two serious problems: the original system's controller is awful, and the system's library is far narrower and hasn't really aged as well as the NES and (especially) the SNES Mini. And if Nintendo can't gain access to Rare's titles, or Factor 5's Star Wars games? That's a lot of the system's best games, not even in the package.

Now, I'm not saying it can't (or shouldn't) be done, but it will be more difficult for Nintendo to do right, and even the best circumstances won't yield a library as wide and iconic as the last two mini consoles.

I think that's a much tougher proposition than the NES and SNES. A lot of the early 3D games do not hold up very well today. Frankly, many of them totally suck to play at this point.

Also, the N64 was not anywhere near as popular as their two previous systems. So, I do not think it's a given that this is coming next year. Maybe they'll do something like a revised NES classic, with some additional games, to sell to people that couldn't get the first one.

VAMatt said:
I think that's a much tougher proposition than the NES and SNES. A lot of the early 3D games do not hold up very well today. Frankly, many of them totally suck to play at this point.

Also, the N64 was not anywhere near as popular as their two previous systems. So, I do not think it's a given that this is coming next year. Maybe they'll do something like a revised NES classic, with some additional games, to sell to people that couldn't get the first one.

Whilst accurate, some of the games *have* aged extremely poorly... The Nintendo 64 was still home to some of the greatest games of all time.
More people should be exposed to those titles in my opinion.

With that, if you are buying a *classic* console for graphics, then you are buying it for the wrong reason.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--