By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo First Party Software Problems

I consider Nintendo first party in 2017 to be incredibly strong.

Three new IPs having a good launch (ARMS, Snipperclips, 1-2-Switch).

Xenoblade 2, FE Warriors, and Pokken filling gaps.

MK8D tearing up the charts with Splatoon 2 likely to do the same.

And Mario and Zelda will likely compete for GotY.

There is the notion that we should be concerned about 2018, with mostly B-team titles annoucned so far (Yoshi, Kirby, SMT, Fire Emblem). But I'm not worried. Remember that we only learned about ARMS six months ago. Mario + Rabbids was first seen at E3 but will be out in August. We got the first glimpse of Odyssey almost exactly one year before it was released.

They've got more stuff in the pipeline that we don't know about.

Around the Network
John19 said:
NawaiNey said:

No one cares about you not caring. Fact is Nintendo had the least amount of games and has the lowest average score for it's top games. Had the least amount of 90+ games, least amount of 80+ games. Had the least amount of successful IPs, and by far the least amount of New IPs successful or otherwise. I understand that there are people like you who love everything Nintendo and don't care for anything by anyone else, but barring that kind of biasedness, there's no way to argue againt the fact that Nintendo has the worst first party games.

I don't think that's really a valid thing for you to say when the two highest rated first party games from that list were made by Nintendo, and it's looking to be a repeat with at least one of their games this year and gen

Yeah that's great that they have two really high rated games (though they're both the same game selling to the same people twice), but people need a lot more than a couple games throughout the generation. There's a reason Wii was all but dead halfway though the PS3's lifespan even though they released at the same time. There's a reason Wii U had a lifespan of like 3 years. Nintendo's software output is terrible overall unless you're one of the people who just love playing the same 5 franchises Nintendo puts out on every system, and they have no 3rd party support to fill the gaps either. 

NawaiNey said:

Yeah that's great that they have two really high rated games (though they're both the same game selling to the same people twice), but people need a lot more than a couple games throughout the generation. There's a reason Wii was all but dead halfway though the PS3's lifespan even though they released at the same time. There's a reason Wii U had a lifespan of like 3 years. Nintendo's software output is terrible overall unless you're one of the people who just love playing the same 5 franchises Nintendo puts out on every system, and they have no 3rd party support to fill the gaps either. 

Wow, look at all this bullshit. 

NawaiNey said:
collint0101 said:

Dude it's all personal opinion. If you look at the 90+ range I don't care for mlb, uncharted, god of war or killzone but I enjoy the hell out of all of Nintendo's 90+ games. Outside of pure numbers there are no objective facts when it comes to stuff like this 

No one cares about you not caring. Fact is Nintendo had the least amount of games and has the lowest average score for it's top games. Had the least amount of 90+ games, least amount of 80+ games. Had the least amount of successful IPs, and by far the least amount of New IPs successful or otherwise. I understand that there are people like you who love everything Nintendo and don't care for anything by anyone else, but barring that kind of biasedness, there's no way to argue againt the fact that Nintendo has the worst first party games.

You're arguing about video games, a form of entertainment. You can go on and on about the number of releases all you want but at the end of the day if Sony makes 7 games and I only enjoy 4 of them then I would consider Nintendo to be better if they only make 5 but I happen to enjoy all 5. On top of that you have to factor in the handhelds. Nintendo supports their handhelds more than their home consoles while Sony does the opposite so if you compare to ps3 to the Wii then ps3 wins but the DS probably has the PSP beat by a good bit but honestly I don't really care either way I just go where the Japanese stuff goes which is on both Nintendo and Sony systems

Kyuu said:
pokoko said:
They probably will have problems after 2018. That's the future, though, and the success of a console is usually decided early. They absolutely did the right thing by front-loading their line-up. Pull people into your ecosystem first, worry about late-cycle content production later.

Besides, we already know that Nintendo fans are fine with Nintendo consoles losing support early and being set adrift while they work on content for the next console. I've seen a lot of people say they were satisfied with support for the Wii U and there is no doubt the Switch will get more.

I think GBA is more noteworthy an example when it comes to fans excusing Nintendo's bullshit. At least Nintendo moving on from the poorly-designed Wii U to the Switch was jusified by its low sales and its out-living the GBA. Seriously, a mere 3~ year support for a handheld approaching 70m sales? is that the reward for the gamers who made it a success?! They even lied that the DS was intended to complement Gamecube and GBA rather than replace the latter.

Sony's support for Vita was even poorer than Wii U but that too is somewhat justified after the failure of several AA and AAA Sony developed games that hardly sold or driven hardware sales, and the fact that Sony won't dare to make a new portable. Maybe unless it replaces their home console.

OT:

Nintendo is one single company, they can only do so much to compensate the typically weak third party lineup. So the problem is ultimately one of a relatively poor third party support. Hopefully this is going to change with the Switch if owners prove that they care about non-Nintendo games to a fairly large extent.

Yeah Sony sucks in the handheld department, just as much as Nintendo sucks in the Home console department, probably a little more.

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
NawaiNey said:

You're arguing about video games, a form of entertainment. You can go on and on about the number of releases all you want but at the end of the day if Sony makes 7 games and I only enjoy 4 of them then I would consider Nintendo to be better if they only make 5 but I happen to enjoy all 5. On top of that you have to factor in the handhelds. Nintendo supports their handhelds more than their home consoles while Sony does the opposite so if you compare to ps3 to the Wii then ps3 wins but the DS probably has the PSP beat by a good bit but honestly I don't really care either way I just go where the Japanese stuff goes which is on both Nintendo and Sony systems

Inded Sony sucks in the Hadheld space, I have no problem accepting that fact. Which makes it all the more baffling why Nintendo fans can't accept that Nintendo sucks in the home console space, when they so clearly do.

1) "ARMS - seems to be having a so-so launch, I don't expect this to do much. It is nice to see Nintendo try a new IP, though."

Maybe if Splatoon didn't exist you'd have a different perspective - based on sales figures and estimates, Arms has had a pretty good launch for a new IP.

2) "Splatoon 2 - looks fine. I can't figure out what makes this better than the first game, but Japan loves it, and I think it'll be interesting to see if this can do bigger numbers on Switch than Wii U. I'm not worried about it."

The fact that Splatoon 2 is on a semi-handheld and that Splatoon 1 was a surprise hit every where basically guarantees its sequel will sell better. Think of the original Halo and how it being a surprise hit made the 2nd one really hyped.

3) "Mario Odyssey - I am worried about this one. Nintendo really should be going 2D with Mario, the proof is in the sales figures. I was giving Odyssey the benefit of the doubt because Nintendo made great strides in open world with Zelda, but I think the game might have serious issues with the cornball theme song and strange mix reality and fantasy. Nintendo needs Mario to perform, they have no other guaranteed hits until Pokemon."

What?

THIS right here is the problem I have with sales analysis regarding Nintendo. It's like people only look at the sales figures and judge based on that. It was the same with Metroid and how people excuse a lack of Metroid sequels because "Muh less than 3 million". 2D Mario games do *NOT* sell consoles anymore. In fact I honestly think they only ever did because when they came out they were a nice novelty. What tetris did for gameboy, new Super Mario Bros did for DS - and you can't replicate that entirely. 3D Mario games sell consoles. I think the switch's selling point is a lot like the Nintendo's 64, where it's revolutionary technology(in handheld mode) with revolutionary games. Revolutionary Nintendo games sell, copycats run dry.

The rest of the games you mentioned are like "loyalty console sellers", where hardcore fans will buy consoles because they love these smaller more niche series. Prime could do gangbusters though if Nintendo pushed the boundaries.

"Ironically, I think Skyrim and maybe Rocket League will do as much to save Switch in 2018 than anything Nintendo has scheduled."

Uh...what? Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Switch, Kirby, and Yoshi are all announced for 2018. Kirby and Yoshi aren't system sellers like they used to be but they'll still sell consoles, the Switch will get a greater library that will incentive more consumers to buy it - and we'll still have a Pokemon ready. I'll admit it's not a *ton* but it's about as much system sellers as 2014 for Wii U(with a system with a much better library already and more hype and functionality).

NawaiNey said:
Kyuu said:

I think GBA is more noteworthy an example when it comes to fans excusing Nintendo's bullshit. At least Nintendo moving on from the poorly-designed Wii U to the Switch was jusified by its low sales and its out-living the GBA. Seriously, a mere 3~ year support for a handheld approaching 70m sales? is that the reward for the gamers who made it a success?! They even lied that the DS was intended to complement Gamecube and GBA rather than replace the latter.

Sony's support for Vita was even poorer than Wii U but that too is somewhat justified after the failure of several AA and AAA Sony developed games that hardly sold or driven hardware sales, and the fact that Sony won't dare to make a new portable. Maybe unless it replaces their home console.

OT:

Nintendo is one single company, they can only do so much to compensate the typically weak third party lineup. So the problem is ultimately one of a relatively poor third party support. Hopefully this is going to change with the Switch if owners prove that they care about non-Nintendo games to a fairly large extent.

Yeah Sony sucks in the handheld department, just as much as Nintendo sucks in the Home console department, probably a little more.

You've been making a few off topic posts in here. This thread is to discuss Nintendos first party output in relation to itself, not to compare to other publishers or platform holders. Please take that discussion to a more appropriate thread.

specialk said:
I consider Nintendo first party in 2017 to be incredibly strong.

Three new IPs having a good launch (ARMS, Snipperclips, 1-2-Switch).

Xenoblade 2, FE Warriors, and Pokken filling gaps.

MK8D tearing up the charts with Splatoon 2 likely to do the same.

And Mario and Zelda will likely compete for GotY.

There is the notion that we should be concerned about 2018, with mostly B-team titles annoucned so far (Yoshi, Kirby, SMT, Fire Emblem). But I'm not worried. Remember that we only learned about ARMS six months ago. Mario + Rabbids was first seen at E3 but will be out in August. We got the first glimpse of Odyssey almost exactly one year before it was released.

They've got more stuff in the pipeline that we don't know about.

I like you.

NawaiNey said:
collint0101 said:

Inded Sony sucks in the Hadheld space, I have no problem accepting that fact. Which makes it all the more baffling why Nintendo fans can't accept that Nintendo sucks in the home console space, when they so clearly do.

Because they don't suck. Even the Wii u which is by far their weakest console has stuff like Tokyo mirage sessions, piknin 3, Splatoon, xenoblade X ect. Also Sony's handhelds don't suck either both the PSP and Vita have some really high quality releases. You have this weird mentality that what you're saying is absolute fact but no you're arguing opinions and personal taste. There is no best or worst line up it's all about what you personally want to play