By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: A look into what happened with MercurySteam’s Metroid pitch for Wii U and 3DS

It was rumored a couple of years ago that MercurySteam attempted to pitch a Metroid game for Wii U and 3DS. Then in 2016, the studio denied that report. What makes things really interesting is that, last week, Nintendo and MercurySteam announced Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS.

So what happened here? Liam Robertson, who reported on the rumor originally, shared his latest findings in a new video.

We know that development on Metroid: Samus Returns started roughly two years ago, which is when the original speculation started. Nintendo reached out to MercurySteam after hearing the team would be interested in making a Metroid title of its own. MercurySteam apparently wanted to make a first-person adventure on Wii U and a companion game for 3DS. Nintendo didn’t want to move forward with Wii U, but its portable was still an option.

After the big N passed on MercurySteam’s hopes of tackling something original, the developer was said to be exploring a potential remake of a 2D Metroid. Super Metroid may have been among these. As for the Metroid Wii U pitch, it’s rumored that MercurySteam took some of the concepts there for its new IP Raiders of the Broken Planet.

Here’s the full report from Robertson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoV5SbM_V8M

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Nice read. Nintendo did the right thing: it's less risky to give them a remake on an established handheld than an AAA FPA title built from the ground up. Actually, any team with technical talents can make a good remake. Look at bluepoint... the guys are masters on it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

While I would have loved a Metroid title on Wii U, this was probably a sound decision by Nintendo. If they had released a Wii U title, it may not have sold well, and killed the chances for the series to progress. End result: we wait a few more years for Prime 4 on Switch, will likely sell much better and revitalize the series.

But damn, if I'm ever looking forward to Samus Returns. Metroid fans better go out and buy it!

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

zelmusario said:
While I would have loved a Metroid title on Wii U, this was probably a sound decision by Nintendo. If they had released a Wii U title, it may not have sold well, and killed the chances for the series to progress. End result: we wait a few more years for Prime 4 on Switch, will likely sell much better and revitalize the series.

But damn, if I'm ever looking forward to Samus Returns. Metroid fans better go out and buy it!

Indeed, I think that would have been the case if it did release for the Wii U, unfortunately

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]