By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Don't Assume Nintendo Will Drop its 3DS/Handheld Line: Here's Why

Johnw1104 said:

Yeah, in that situation though Nintendo really hasn't abandoned their two platform approach. That's really the key observation here: Nintendo has always provided two different platforms at different price points via the handheld and console markets, and while the 3DS will inevitably be retired there's definitely a chance that some variation of the Switch takes its place.

I don't see it as a 2 platform approach. If we consider a slightly smaller Switch as a new platform, then PS4 Pro and XBX are new platforms. And 3DS had the base model, New 3DS, 2DS, New 2DS and a XL variant for most of them.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Johnw1104 said:

Feel free to do so, talk is cheap after all :D

As for your first criticism, the Nx being described as a third pillar in all but name was something I only discovered while researching this thread. When first announced, Iwata told people the launch of the Nx would not spell the end of support for the 3DS and Wii U, and that they were talking with developers to make sure the Wii U and 3DS continued to receive releases and software once the Nx launched. This obviously proved to be largely untrue as far as the Wii U is concerned, but it was a claim that Nintendo felt it had to make to keep people buying Wii U's in the meantime. The rest of your paragraph is essentially exactly what I stated, so we don't seem to be disagreeing there.

Otherwise, I've never bought the "Third Pillar" claims and certainly don't believe Nintendo could maintain three hardware platforms simultaneously. I'm not sure where you got that impression, but I was merely mentioning how they've marketed things in the past to hedge their bets. Regardless, you seem to be ignoring the crucial backwards compatibility of the DS with GBA games, rendering the GBA virtually pointless. That's a key difference that guaranteed the GBA would be phased out unless the DS was absolutely rejected by consumers.

That Nintendo never used the term "third pillar" to describe NX/Switch is all anyone needs to know. This term carries weight and therefore it's avoided intentionally when it doesn't get mentioned. I'd actually like to ignore this third pillar thing altogether because it works neither as a pro or a con for your greater claim.

If you look back to the announcement of the Nx, "third pillar" was being used across the gaming community. Iwata certainly didn't use the phrase itself as everyone and their mother by then knew "third pillar" meant "one of these three is soon to disappear", but his description was almost identical to that of the original third pillar speech, complete with promises that they were working to make sure the Wii U and 3DS continued to receive releases following the launch of the Nx. Obviously this did not happen for the Wii U, but it's the same lie most tend to tell to make sure they don't hurt the sales of their current consoles in the meantime.

Point 2: Indeed, Nintendo won't leave the handheld market. But since Switch is a hybrid and therefore incorporates handheld needs, Nintendo doesn't need to create a separate 3DS successor to remain in the handheld market. For further evidence, look at the country where handhelds reign supreme; Switch is already being accepted as the 3DS successor.

The classification of the Switch is obviously one of those difficult bits of semantics, where one can consider it a "handheld" but it prefers "portable console", it performs more like a console, is much larger than a typical modern handheld, and features a higher price point than what one would expect from a handheld.

To avoid such semantics about whether or not Nintendo will leave the handheld market, let me instead say that we shouldn't assume they'll abandon their two-platform approach. Personally, I think a likely possibility is that in a couple years (say late 2019 or so) a mini version of the current Switch hardware will become the new standard "dedicated handheld", which would also make it much easier to port games from one to the other whenever it seems worthwhile, and it will be followed by a stronger console-grade Switch a year or two afterwards. That seems to satisfy both their desire to provide a proper handheld and console experience, filling multiple price points like they currently do, and streamline game development for easy porting.

Point 3: Nintendo had two platforms in the past not because of safety reasons, but because technology required it. Having two separate platforms is the reason why one wouldn't do so well at times, because the split development resources didn't allow for the necessary support. So now that technology doesn't constitute an obstacle anymore, Nintendo moves to a single platform because that's much safer for business. Additionally, it's better to have one successful platform than having one success and one failure on your hands.

Point 4: This is already addressed in the final sentence of my rebuttal to point 3.

Point 9: This goes back to point 3. There's no benefit in splitting development resources.

There is truth to what you say regarding the need for both a console and a handheld due to inferior technology in the past, but that's not the only reason they've done it. While there is overlap, the handheld market has targeted a different price point and consumer from the start for them. They are not mutually competitive with one another, which has been evidenced by times where both were simultaneously successful and others were both were struggling for sales (early 3DS and Wii U). I'd argue that there's not a Nintendo console we can point to that performed poorly in sales where the primary causes of said difficulties was the resources spent on the Gameboy/DS line. Instead, it was generally a combination of outdated design decisions, poor marketing, and lack of third party support.

Otherwise, one platform is inherently less safe than two, which is why nearly all companies (especially manufacturers) attempt to diversify as much as possible. By your logic, while you could indeed say that having one successful platform is better than one success and one failure, you could also say that one success and one failure is better than just one failure; I'm pretty sure Nintendo was happy to have the GBA and the 3DS throughout their Gamecube/Wii U experience.

Point 5: Switch revisions can solve all of that. The hardware can be shrunk, the price can get lower, the form factor can be changed, all depending on what is deemed necessary. Remember that the 3DS launched with a single model at $250 and didn't serve the prices and form factors of the DS family. Revisions take care of such stuff.

I agree here to an extent, as like I said above I feel the most likely future involves a shrunk down Switch in the future. The key point for me is that, for the Switch to maintain its appeal by offering a console-like experience, the hardware will have to be larger and more expensive than the typical handheld market would allow for. While I think we may very likely see a mini-switch shaped more like a typical handheld in the future and it will fill the void of the 3DS, I imagine we'll still see a stronger and larger Switch following in its wake that will receive exclusives the mini can't handle (or at the very least gets watered down ports of). In such a case, though, Nintendo would still be maintaining the two platform approach that has served them so well.

Point 6: There are no laws that forbid games with lower development budgets.

Of course not, but when people pay for a console they expect titles to be console quality. Whereas certain announcements generate a lot of excitement when they're releasing on a 3DS, I imagine the visuals and such would be more prone to criticism were they designed with a console-quality platform in mind. That's how people tend to behave, anyway; for instance, if the recent 2D Metroid was the only Metroid announced and was exclusive to the Switch, I imagine mixed into excitement to see the franchise returning would be a lot of questions and criticisms regarding the visuals. The average person's reaction to an announcement is generally determined by how well the game matched their expectations, and said expectations are higher on the Switch.

Point 7: You really are an idiot.

There's no need for that. This is about as innocuous a discussion topic we could possibly be engaged in; it's not as if we're discussing how to properly deal with ISIS and extremism lol

There's no need for a separate handheld line to sell Switch as a hybrid. The market accepts Switch as a hybrid because it offers all the functionality that is expected from a Nintendo home console. This is your worst point by far and you must have tripped and hit your head on the edge of a table or something. Or maybe you assumed nobody will be reading until that point while at the same time a huge list increases credibility for your argument.

I'm not sure why you're so hostile to this particular point; it's definitely one of the least important of the list, but there's truth to it. Marketing, as we all know, is 99% perception; you're aiming to make the consumer believe whatever will maximize sales regardless of how accurate it is, and it's why everyone makes such an effort about making sure they're all using the same, marketable terms and phrases to describe their products across multiple industries. Nintendo knows this, and it's why they sent clear instructions to everyone under the sun that this be described as a portable console/hybrid, and not a handheld.

In the end I think most of us recognize that the semantics and distinction between what constitutes a "handheld" and a "console" are seriously antiquated, but they're clearly important all the same. Following the Switch's reveal we had plenty of people here talking about how Nintendo had bowed out of the console race to focus on handhelds and there are still many who consider this to be a handheld. That perception matters when it comes to selling the console, and Nintendo clearly recognized this from the start as they attempted the tricky balancing act of providing portability while maintaining the appearance and performance of a console.

This is one of the key reasons they've continued to market the 3DS and plan smaller, more portable versions, as when this question arises they point to the 3DS family as being their handheld line, supporting the idea that they haven't bowed out of the console race and that their superior Switch hardware is indeed a step above your typical handheld. This perception of it being a portable console was crucial to their marketing campaign, and it helped to generate hype and interest while also justifying what would otherwise be a prohibitively high price point for your typical handheld.

It certainly isn't necessary for the Switch's wellbeing and I wouldn't claim as much, then, but it does help provide a visual distinction.

Point 8: Kimishima has commented on this and told investors that Nintendo is always working on new hardware, but there is no separate 3DS successor planned to release anytime soon. This points towards Switch truly being the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS. Also, mainline Pokémon was announced.

That's possible, and this one was definitely just speculation on my part, but it seems like fairly safe speculation. When considering Nintendo's exceedingly old obsession with constantly releasing new models (heck, they've already announced the New 2DS XL lol), as well as the very ambitious longshot that the Switch was following its least successful console in history, I sincerely doubt that they didn't have plans for a possible follow up to the 3DS should the Switch not pan out (something everyone thought was a serious possibility until just a few months ago). These things take years to design, so they'd certainly not wait until the Switch had failed to work on a possible follow up.

Point 10: A Nintendo handheld receiving first party support after its successor has already launched is normal. The DS received the exclusive Pokémon Black/White 2 about 15 months after the 3DS had launched (Japanese dates). Also, once again, Switch serves the handheld market, so your entire premise of an exit is wrong.

This is where I think we see a difference of perception, as while the Switch is indeed portable it does not fit the handheld's market. It is prohibitively expensive for those who were only interested in typically priced handhelds, it is much too large to be conveniently portable or carried in the pocket, it has seriously limited battery life, and in general is far more "console" as far as the important qualities of price, performance, size, batteries, and controls are concerned than it is handheld. It is for those reasons that I personally love it and do feel it's absolutely fair to call it a "portable console", but it also precludes it for the moment from filling the portion of the market that the 3DS currently satisfies.

Like I said before, I think the most likely endgame here for Nintendo is to release a smaller, more handheld-esque Switch in the future that will sell alongside a more powerful counterpart and fill the handheld void. Such a system would probably allow for easy porting, but in order for the Switch to continue to justify its claims of being a portable "console" it will have to feature exclusives that one would not get on their lesser offering. In that way, then, Nintendo would still be sporting a more streamlined two platform experience. It's possible that they'll simply drop their typical handheld lines entirely and focus only on the "portable console" that is the Switch, but there's not much incentive for them to do that right now and we really shouldn't assume that said move is in the near future.

I responded to your post. I do hope you'll read it as I love these discussions.

torok said:
Johnw1104 said:

Yeah, in that situation though Nintendo really hasn't abandoned their two platform approach. That's really the key observation here: Nintendo has always provided two different platforms at different price points via the handheld and console markets, and while the 3DS will inevitably be retired there's definitely a chance that some variation of the Switch takes its place.

I don't see it as a 2 platform approach. If we consider a slightly smaller Switch as a new platform, then PS4 Pro and XBX are new platforms. And 3DS had the base model, New 3DS, 2DS, New 2DS and a XL variant for most of them.

Perhaps I should have clarified, while I see a smaller, less powerful Switch filling the handheld void alongside it's full-fledged "portable console" counterpart being a possibility, in that instance the console would have to feature exclusives which fully utilize its superior hardware to justify its claims of being a console, as well as the higher price point.

Basically, it wouldn't just be the minor difference you see between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, but instead would feature exclusives and the like. To do otherwise would be to hamstring a console that is already on the tail end of console hardware capabilities.

A supposed 4DS, or whatever you would call it, is no longer viable at this point in time.

They will keep the 3DS around through 2019 to milk it dry. And, then they will release the Switch Mini (possibly Fall 2019) for $200 to take its place.

They will not release a separate handheld with games that do not run on the 2DS/3DS or the Switch anytime before 2023.

Right now, 2DS is $80, N3DS XL is $200, Switch is $300, There is not enough room there, price wise, for a seperate non-Switch based "4DS". Especially as the switch gets cheaper each year.

Nintendo have cornered themselves by having a product like the Nintendo Switch that covers so many advantages:

-TV out
-Portable Splitscreen (which is also organic advertising)
-Many Controller Options
-Existing game library will be large by then
-etc.

As the price drops on the Switch, they will only be able to launch a new handheld that exceeds all of the advantages of buying a Nintendo Switch or buying a 3DS. (an example of such a possible handheld is, as many have mention, a Switch mini)

Anyway, with all that Nintendo has communicated about wanting software compatibility across many devices, the switch serves that role.

Right now, the Switch is hybrid hardware, another Switch SKU can be dedicated home console hardware, while another Switch SKU can be dedicated handheld hardware, etc. All sharing the same game library, same OS, but with different form factors.

Having to only make games for one system, with many form factors, eliminates redundant development costs. This also allows Nintendo to be more agile in having a regular release schedule of games, which they irrefutably struggled with both the 3DS and Wii U years on end.

It is likely that the Switch will outsell both lifetime hardware and software totals of the 3DS and Wii U combined. All while reducing manufacturing costs, development costs, and marketing costs as they only need to target 1 platform. Nintendo is diversifing in other ways with Android/iOS games, cards, amiibo, other liscenced merchandise, theme park, etc., etc. so their eggs are not actually in only 1 basket.

Anyway, The 3DS can only live for as long as people keep buying it. The 3DS is reaching lifetime saturation even with all of its revisions keeping it just above water.

Getting past 80m 3DSes would take several years more if Nintendo was that persistant, as YoY sales will drop as more and more now, people are replacing their 3DSes with Nintendo Switches.

Johnw1104 said:
torok said:

Perhaps I should have clarified, while I see a smaller, less powerful Switch filling the handheld void alongside it's full-fledged "portable console" counterpart being a possibility, in that instance the console would have to feature exclusives which fully utilize its superior hardware to justify its claims of being a console, as well as the higher price point.

Basically, it wouldn't just be the minor difference you see between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, but instead would feature exclusives and the like. To do otherwise would be to hamstring a console that is already on the tail end of console hardware capabilities.

I don't think Nintendo will ever again segment their game developers to one or the other gaming platform like the past with WiiU/3DS, Wii/DS, etc. 

Nintendo and Nvidia have a partnership right now, therefore their processors will likely power any devices in the foreseeable future (at least next 10 years). Right now the lowest a Tegra Processor can go is the X1 (more power than WiiU and slightly less power than a Xbox One) with the highest being the X2 (about on par with a Xbox One/PS4). The X3 (or whatever the new one is called) will highly likely be revealed sometime late Holiday 2017 or early 2018. It makes feasable sense especially when you are building on the same processor to create games that are compatible with both devices. Unless Nintendo decides to forego plans of creating a portable console and use a Nvidia high end GTX GPU or something, I can't see that changing.

What I expect is maybe the new Switch whenever it gets released would get the highest end Tegra Processor at the time (X3, X4, whatever) while the Switch-Mini if there was one, would feature a prior generation Tegra processor compared to the regular Switch. The Switch-Mini may end up downgraded in some capacity (smaller and lower resolution screen, less RAM, cheaper building materials, smaller battery, etc.) in order to create a price difference of $100-150 to get the device in the $150-200 range.

Around the Network

I don't. It would be absolute insanity.

trent44 said:

A supposed 4DS, or whatever you would call it, is no longer viable at this point in time.

They will keep the 3DS around through 2019 to milk it dry. And, then they will release the Switch Mini (possibly Fall 2019) for $200 to take its place.

They will not release a separate handheld with games that do not run on the 2DS/3DS or the Switch anytime before 2023.

Right now, 2DS is $80, N3DS XL is $200, Switch is $300, There is not enough room there, price wise, for a seperate non-Switch based "4DS". Especially as the switch gets cheaper each year.

Nintendo have cornered themselves by having a product like the Nintendo Switch that covers so many advantages:

-TV out
-Many Controller Options
-etc.

As the price drops on the Switch, they will only be able to launch a new handheld that exceeds all of the advantages of buying a Nintendo Switch or buying a 3DS. (an example of such a possible handheld is, as many have mention, a Switch mini)

Anyway, with all that Nintendo has communicated about wanting software compatibility across many devices, the switch serves that role.

Right now, the Switch is hybrid hardware, another Switch SKU can be dedicated home console hardware, while another Switch SKU can be dedicated handheld hardware, etc. All sharing the same game library, same OS, but with different form factors.

Having to only make games for one system, with many form factors, eliminates redundant development costs. This also allows Nintendo to be more agile in having a regular release schedule of games, which they irrefutably struggled with both the 3DS and Wii U years on end.

It is likely that the Switch will outsell both lifetime hardware and software totals of the 3DS and Wii U combined. All while reducing manufacturing costs, development costs, and marketing costs as they only need to target 1 platform. Nintendo is diversifing in other ways with Android/iOS games, cards, amiibo, other liscenced merchandise, theme park, etc., etc. so their eggs are not actually in only 1 basket.

Anyway, The 3DS can only live for as long as people keep buying it. The 3DS is reaching lifetime saturation even with all of its revisions keeping it just above water.

Getting past 80m 3DSes would take several years more if Nintendo was that persistant, as YoY sales will drop as more and more now, people are replacing their 3DSes with Nintendo Switches.

First, I appreciate the well thought out and thorough response.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with the majority of your points. While I mentioned the 3DS I certainly did not mean to suggest that they'll be sticking with the 3DS specifically or that they'll soon be releasing a "4DS", but rather I only meant to suggest that we shouldn't assume Nintendo will consolidate all of its resources onto a single platform.

I too feel we're probably looking at a late 2019 Switch Mini that will serve the role of a proper handheld once manufacturing costs drop enough and the form factor is actually possible to allow for it. Not long after we'll probably see a more powerful Switch released to at least keep pace with the back end of console hardware, which is a key (if not primary) selling point for the Switch concept itself. At that point Nintendo would still have two platforms with the more powerful Switch likely sporting either exclusives or far superior versions that are ported to their weaker hardware, but they'd be very easy to port between and develop for both simultaneously. That, to me, seems like the most likely

For the moment though, as you point out, Nintendo has a price range covered from under $100 up to $300, and there's little motive for them to change anything through 2017 and 2018. By 2019, though, that replacement might be cost feasible, but the main suggestion here is that Nintendo won't want to limit itself only to a more expensive portable console, which excludes those who primarily bought their less expensive handheld offerings in the past.

The Switch Mini really seems like the only thing that could replace the 3DS line while also offering enough to justify it over the advantages you listed that the Switch itself offered, which would primarily be a lower cost, smaller size, stronger battery, and in general feature the shape, controls and aesthetic of your typical handhelds. There has always been a market for that sort of product, and I really doubt they'd have trouble finding one for their Switch Mini were it to have these features.

Otherwise, I certainly hope you're right about the Switch outselling the 3DS and Wii U. It definitely appears to be on the right track, but my only concern is in regards to how quickly the Switch may begin to lag behind dedicated consoles in hardware. Unlike the PS4 Pro or Xbox1 X which are at the peak of console hardware and receive ports of games designed for the more average PS4/Xbox1 hardware, the Switch is weaker than said average (not substantially so, but it is) and can't afford to fall much farther behind. A mid-gen refresh, meanwhile, would only solve this issue if they allowed for games to release on it that don't release on the original model, as requiring they perform on both would likely be prohibitively difficult more often than not. The issue is that I suspect such a mid gen upgrade will seem necessary within about 3 years or so, which would make for a difficult PR situation as OG Switch owners would justifiably not want to be left behind so quickly.

Basically, mid-gen refreshes have really complicated the picture for the Switch. I hope they're able to keep pace hardware-wise, meet the important price points, continue to offer cheaper alternatives, and not screw their fans in the process. It's a tightrope walk, but they're off to a great start.

shoichi said:
Johnw1104 said:

I don't think Nintendo will ever again segment their game developers to one or the other gaming platform like the past with WiiU/3DS, Wii/DS, etc. 

Nintendo and Nvidia have a partnership right now, therefore their processors will likely power any devices in the foreseeable future (at least next 10 years). Right now the lowest a Tegra Processor can go is the X1 (more power than WiiU and slightly less power than a Xbox One) with the highest being the X2 (about on par with a Xbox One/PS4). The X3 (or whatever the new one is called) will highly likely be revealed sometime late Holiday 2017 or early 2018. It makes feasable sense especially when you are building on the same processor to create games that are compatible with both devices. Unless Nintendo decides to forego plans of creating a portable console and use a Nvidia high end GTX GPU or something, I can't see that changing.

What I expect is maybe the new Switch whenever it gets released would get the highest end Tegra Processor at the time (X3, X4, whatever) while the Switch-Mini if there was one, would feature a prior generation Tegra processor compared to the regular Switch. The Switch-Mini may end up downgraded in some capacity (smaller and lower resolution screen, less RAM, cheaper building materials, smaller battery, etc.) in order to create a price difference of $100-150 to get the device in the $150-200 range.

Yes, I do remember reading that experts and people within Nvidia were predicting a 20 year long partnership with Nintendo which, while quite a presumption, definitely shows both parties are very happy with the arrangement right now.

It was unfortunate for the Switch that the Tegra Processors were just a tad too late for the Switch to utilize the newer option, as had the Wii U not been such a sales failure they probably wouldn't have felt rushed to release the Switch as soon as they did, largely necessitating they go with the X1. If they'd had just another half year or so, I imagine they would have gone for the X2, which would have been a great deal stronger and featured much better battery life. I hope the success of the Switch allows them to time their next release better with Nvidia.

Otherwise, yes, this is almost exactly what I suspect is going to happen going forward; the Switch Mini will feature less impressive hardware but will have all the size, price, and battery advantages of your typical handheld, while the Switch itself will receive a major upgrade so that it can continue to provide a console-like experience.

Johnw1104 said:

Yeah, a mini Switch becoming their new standard handheld was one of the possibilities I covered. It seems like it would be a natural evolution of both, though it would be weird to have a dedicated handheld be named "Switch".

Not if it can still switch between portable and home.

trent44 said:

-TV out
-Many Controller Options
-etc.

Nah, they've put themselves exactly where they should be. They get to take advantage of all the advances in portable technology which is something the competition can't do (4G/5G, flash memory, portable CPU/GPUs).

Unlike with a PS4 or 3DS, an alternative model doesn't have to be a replacement, it can be a companion. Whether it's a smaller, more portable companion or a more functional/powerful companion to the current Switch depends on what consumers want.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Johnw1104 said:

Yeah, a mini Switch becoming their new standard handheld was one of the possibilities I covered. It seems like it would be a natural evolution of both, though it would be weird to have a dedicated handheld be named "Switch".

Not if it can still switch between portable and home.

trent44 said:

-TV out
-Many Controller Options
-etc.

Nah, they've put themselves exactly where they should be. They get to take advantage of all the advances in portable technology which is something the competition can't do (4G/5G, flash memory, portable CPU/GPUs).

Unlike with a PS4 or 3DS, an alternative model doesn't have to be a replacement, it can be a companion. Whether it's a smaller, more portable companion or a more functional/powerful companion to the current Switch depends on what consumers want.

Yeah, it's certainly possible that a Switch Mini replacement to the 3DS line would still feature a dock of some sort. Really, with how well it's been received and how convenient it can be there's no reason not to include one, but I do still wonder if they actually would.