By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - The Official Heavy Metal Thread

Do you like extreme metal?

Yes 43 63.24%

No 17 25.00%

See Results 8 11.76%

Total:68

I'd recommend these releases from Cradle of Filth: Midian, Dusk and Her Embrace, Cruelty and the Beast, Nymphetamine and Bitter Suites to Succubi (this is like a stop gap EP with some re-recordings, covers etc, but there's also four new songs that are all fantastic). Also, their style/Dani's voice has changed a bit throughout their career, so liking/disliking one of these albums doesn't necessarily mean you'll feel the same about some of the others.

Around the Network

At long last, we have new Kalmah in our lives.

drbunnig said:

At long last, we have new Kalmah in our lives.

Hmm, I've never even heard of Halmah before myself.

Check out They Will Return and Swampsong. Very similar to early Children of Bodom.

VGPolyglot said:
drbunnig said:
Rotting Christ are a good band. Sakis has a very distinctive sound to his playing. Their last few albums have been a bit disappointing though. They were at their strongest from around 1997 - 2002 (A Dead Poem through Genesis).

I'm just getting into them myself, downloading Spotify on my PC really have re-awoken my interest to discover new albums. 

I've been into them since the mid to late 90s.  They've gone through a few different sounds, though never anything too abrupt from one album to the next. Their early sound is fairly raw, their mid era is a lot slower and much more melodic, and their later stuff tends to combine the two. Though there has always been a pretty good sense of melody throughout most of their career. But I agree, the last 2-3 albums have been a bit...weird?  Though I'll admit I probably haven't given the last few their due.

Triarchy of the Lost Lovers to Theogonia is probably where you wanna start.  And depending on if you like what you hear, you can work your way back to the couple of more raw black metal releases, or onward into their more experimental sounds of the last 2-3 albums.  A Dead Poem is easily my favourite, though.

One of my top bands of all time.

Around the Network

Metal rules long live black Sabbath

CladInShadows said:
VGPolyglot said:

I'm just getting into them myself, downloading Spotify on my PC really have re-awoken my interest to discover new albums. 

I've been into them since the mid to late 90s.  They've gone through a few different sounds, though never anything too abrupt from one album to the next. Their early sound is fairly raw, their mid era is a lot slower and much more melodic, and their later stuff tends to combine the two. Though there has always been a pretty good sense of melody throughout most of their career. But I agree, the last 2-3 albums have been a bit...weird?  Though I'll admit I probably haven't given the last few their due.

Triarchy of the Lost Lovers to Theogonia is probably where you wanna start.  And depending on if you like what you hear, you can work your way back to the couple of more raw black metal releases, or onward into their more experimental sounds of the last 2-3 albums.  A Dead Poem is easily my favourite, though.

Actually, I'm much more accustomed to raw black metal so maybe it'll be easier for me to start from there

VGPolyglot said:
CladInShadows said:

Actually, I'm much more accustomed to raw black metal so maybe it'll be easier for me to start from there

Sure, go nuts! Thy Mighty Contract is a fine slab o black metal.

And while we're on the subject, I posted this in one of the metal threads before, but it's worthwhile again:

Rotting Christ - Non Serviam

Moonsorrow - Non Serviam

A nice folk metal take on the original Rotting Christ song.

Album of the Week: Havohej - Dethrone the Son of God (1993)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOQtzHlR6q8

What happens when you get an early-90s death metal guy trying to play black metal? Havohej!! This album is extremely comical at times with how cheesy the lyrics can be, but the songs themselves are pretty great. They tend to be short, with like 15 tracks in a 28 minute span, so it is generally balls-to-the-wall action!! However, I actually tend to prefer the more death-styled songs on here, I Arose Part 2 probably being my favourite track on here.