By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - E3, MS' desperation/wise move, Nintendo's cowardice/cheapness, report card, etc. UPDATE!

Who will win E3?

Microsoft 29 13.06%

Sony 90 40.54%

Nintendo 73 32.88%

Someone else 6 2.70%

See results. 24 10.81%

Total:222
TheBraveGallade said:

Mostly a good assesment; however I disagree on one thing about your opinion : nintendo's directs. Ninty WON E3 2014 cause of it, and did great in 2015 as well. Ninty doesn't need a press conferance. If anything they 'skipped' last E3 by NOT doing a direct.

About ninty droughts, that is going to be FAR less likly this gen because most of ninty's resources will go to switch and switch alone. We are basically going to have double the output from them.

Also one detail: sony is going to start to REALLY trail behind in japan. With there being no new handheld in sight, sony's gradp on the japanese market is going to plummet drastically. The ps4 was just a wii U competitor there trying to catch up untill it did... last october, when the switch was announced. In the portable dominated japanese market, it might just get most smaller japanese devs to switch over. After all where will all the vita games go, ps4? No.

I don't think the Directs win any E3, just the info given in them. I think a full press conference would do the same and better. Also show confidence. I like the Directs myself, but I just don't think they belong at E3. But I absolutely agree about Sony losing market share in Japan. I think a PSP2 with similar capabilities to the Switch would be a good idea. 

Around the Network

The press conferences are cringey anyways. Nintendo has found a winning formula with digital videos like durects and spotlight plus live with treehouse. It would be stupid for them to revert to convention when they found what many of their fans and critics think is a better idea anyways. It saves us all a lot of time and cringe. Its focused only on the games no awkward scenes no pauses that ruin the momentum. Why does being on stage make anyone any better than a video event? E3 is all about the game and the Ninty way is the most focused game centric gamer friendly version out there. Just look at EA conference 1 hour 30 minutes but the actual content is like 30 minutes or less. That's at least an hour of yours mine and theirs wasted time. For a console unveiling it might not be the best way but for showing a ton of games its much better. When you got something better why would you revert to convention that's not cowardice its basic intelligence

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

niceguygameplayer said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:
Nintendo choosing to not go for a traditional press conference does not mean that they are skipping E3. If they were truly doing that, they wouldn't be there at all (no Treehouse, no tournaments, no nothing).

I understand that they are making a small effort, but look at Microsoft. They are up first, with the most to lose. But they are boldly making an effort with a long press conference, not a video. I respect that.

Well, let's not forget the presentations are a small part of E3.  Most of it is on the floor.  Nintendo has more than twice the floorspace reserved compared to Microsoft.  

As for not doing a live presentation, that saves them very little money since they have film and edit it anyway and the bulk of E3 expense is on the floor.  So this isn't cheapness.  Shoot, they are spending extra compared to Sony and MS in some areas, what with the live streaming and 2 full blown tournaments.

As for length, being long doesn't equate to quality or even boldness.  Sony had a huge conference at E3 2014...and most people found it very boring.  Not because it didn't have good content, but because it was full of a lot of hot air.  Which is the issue with most live events.  Shoot look at Square Enix's conference last E3, I mean holy crap.  A video can be shorter and more focused.  Nintendo took less than 4 minutes last October and sent shockwaves throughout the gaming space.  Not saying they'll do that again, but that they could.  

Honestly, I still think E3 2014 showed that these videos have immense potential for E3.  Nintendo took half the time others do and had twice the impact.  We'll see if they can do it again.

niceguygameplayer said:
TheBraveGallade said:

Mostly a good assesment; however I disagree on one thing about your opinion : nintendo's directs. Ninty WON E3 2014 cause of it, and did great in 2015 as well. Ninty doesn't need a press conferance. If anything they 'skipped' last E3 by NOT doing a direct.

About ninty droughts, that is going to be FAR less likly this gen because most of ninty's resources will go to switch and switch alone. We are basically going to have double the output from them.

Also one detail: sony is going to start to REALLY trail behind in japan. With there being no new handheld in sight, sony's gradp on the japanese market is going to plummet drastically. The ps4 was just a wii U competitor there trying to catch up untill it did... last october, when the switch was announced. In the portable dominated japanese market, it might just get most smaller japanese devs to switch over. After all where will all the vita games go, ps4? No.

I don't think the Directs win any E3, just the info given in them. I think a full press conference would do the same and better. Also show confidence. I like the Directs myself, but I just don't think they belong at E3. But I absolutely agree about Sony losing market share in Japan. I think a PSP2 with similar capabilities to the Switch would be a good idea. 

E3 is about announcements. It doens't matter with what tools you do it as long as you deliver the message to a lot of people and let them talk about your products. Nintendo doing directs is a wise decision, because they have more controll of what they want to show and how to do it. Live gameplay demonstrations fails like wii music or zelda skyward sword can be avoided. Also people can play their products and the treehouse gives an even more insight on the games, where ms and sony only have the press conferences. Nintendo is dominating E3 with their presence.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

niceguygameplayer said:
TheBraveGallade said:

At the end of the day, the outcome of the e3 Presentation will be the games/ the products/ the services they offer. There will be some bitching for a couple of weeks based on the presentation but after that........ 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Peh said:
niceguygameplayer said:

E3 is about announcements. It doens't matter with what tools you do it as long as you deliver the message to a lot of people and let them talk about your products. Nintendo doing directs is a wise decision, because they have more controll of what they want to show and how to do it. Live gameplay demonstrations fails like wii music or zelda skyward sword can be avoided. Also people can play their products and the treehouse gives an even more insight on the games, where ms and sony only have the press conferences. Nintendo is dominating E3 with their presence.

What?  Did Sony cancel the live stream they do every year?  What do you mean?  You have a source for this?

niceguygameplayer said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:
Nintendo choosing to not go for a traditional press conference does not mean that they are skipping E3. If they were truly doing that, they wouldn't be there at all (no Treehouse, no tournaments, no nothing).

I understand that they are making a small effort, but look at Microsoft. They are up first, with the most to lose. But they are boldly making an effort with a long press conference, not a video. I respect that.

What difference does that make exactly? Aside from the amount of talking about what the trailers should have summarized already. This isn't some ancient battle for honor and glory. It's just a bunch of tech companies announcing software they're programming that might be released in the next 12 months.

And saying Nintendo is "skipping" E3 is just factually wrong, since they have about as much space reserved as Sony. A correct thing to say would be they're not handling E3 in the way that you personally prefer.

Why does Nintendo "need" to do a live press conference full of cringe worthy speeches and awkward pacing? Those things are a waste of time. Not to say that video presentations can't have time wasters/cringe/awkwardness, because THEY DO (ahem 10 minutes of an interview about yarn ahem), but they're much more reliable than stage presentations.

You already lost a crap ton of "credibility" due to those statements.

pokoko said:
Peh said:

What?  Did Sony cancel the live stream they do every year?  What do you mean?  You have a source for this?

Sony has a live stream? To be honest, I never heard of that. Sorry for wrong statement.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Nintendo 1st. MS will be 2nd. Ubi probably 3rd. Sony....I don't care.