By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari Box: New Console From Atari (RUMORED to be a Modern Console)

As if the console market isn't crowded enough... this device has spent "years in the making" and is currently seeking developers for software.

https://www.ataribox.com/

Article from: https://segmentnext.com/2017/06/10/new-atari-console-atari-box-production-according-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WNsmCpdhhY

The game company Atari recently created a new website, and on it they’ve placed an intriguing teaser talking about what seems to be a new Atari console, called the “Atari Box”. While we don’t really know anything about it, it could be something to get excited about depending on its contents.

The most realistic (and likely) interpretation is that the Atari Box could be something similar to the NES Classic, which Nintendo released several years ago and which had over 30 NES games on it. While that only had a limited run, it was still highly successful, enough that Nintendo extended its formerly limited production.

If the new Atari console is something similar to the NES Classic, we may be able to play a bunch of classic Atari games again, which many gamers haven’t been able to do in decades (if they’re old enough, at least).Retro games, while not as visually impressive as games that are being made nowadays, hold a special place in many gamers’ hearts, which the NES Classic proved. If the Atari Box proves to be something similar, Atari may have a successful new thing on their hands.The console most likely is just an Atari version of the NES Classic, as in the trailer that Atari posted to promote the Atari Box it looked fairly similar to a vintage Atari console, including fake wood like the original Atari 2600.

Even if this new Atari console turns out to be like the NES Classic, however, hopefully Atari has learned from the mistakes that Nintendo made. Either it will be a limited run that will get expanded, or it will experience a lot of supply difficulties due to sheer demand.

Apparently, it's not a retro refresh according to one of the members closest to the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4w87fqLAQA

My guess is that it's being teased for E3. Will we have to add an Atari Discussion to the thread options soon? Has Atari been resurrected from the ashes to get revenge on Nintendo? Discuss this because...who knows what the hell's gonna happen.

Around the Network

I probably played hundreds of Atari games, in some way, shape or form. And I hate them all.
To me gaming was really perfected, console wise, with the NES and Master System. Those have games I can enjoy even today. Like Golden Axe Warrior on MS or hidden gems like Spiritual Warfare on the NES.
I know it is history and everything, but to me Atari games are a big mess.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
I probably played hundreds of Atari games, in some way, shape or form. And I hate them all.
To me gaming was really perfected, console wise, with the NES and Master System. Those have games I can enjoy even today. Like Golden Axe Warrior on MS or hidden gems like Spiritual Warfare on the NES.
I know it is history and everything, but to me Atari games are a big mess.

That's the thing, it supposedly isn't a refresh or a retro compilation. It's a new modern console according to the rumors. I agree, NES and Master System are the best entry point from games post 70's but I did have a great time with some of the Atari games. Adventure, River Raid, Haunted House, some of the games are fun but they aren't for everybody. 

Modern related? So, this has to be FreeBSD-based console more like Switch/PS4, or it's just me.

Is this gonna be the year of the memes? Is this when the human race turns into the filthy meme race?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Man, this is the year of revivals no one asked for.Shaq Fu 2, Bubsy, a new Atari console.... Well, it certainly makes things ecxiting, to say the least.

As for the discussion at the hand, if it is truly a new modern console, and Atari is really trying to reenter the console wars, my answer is:WTF.
Who was the one at Atari that thought this was a good idea at any kind of level?I mean, there is always that 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that they can pull this off, but they have no first party game whatsoever that would be enticing, Atari has been the equivalent of a hole full of shit in terms of quality games, and it has been bankrupt how many times by now?

What is this year with its weirds random revivals?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Man, this is the year of revivals no one asked for.Shaq Fu 2, Bubsy, a new Atari console.... Well, it certainly makes things ecxiting, to say the least.

As for the discussion at the hand, if it is truly a new modern console, and Atari is really trying to reenter the console wars, my answer is:WTF.
Who was the one at Atari that thought this was a good idea at any kind of level?I mean, there is always that 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that they can pull this off, but they have no first party game whatsoever that would be enticing, Atari has been the equivalent of a hole full of shit in terms of quality games, and it has been bankrupt how many times by now?

What is this year with its weirds random revivals?

I'm guessing it's the technologies made hardware and software cheaper cost, i'm looking at those popularity guys -> Nvidia, QualComm, Epic Games & Unity.

Now all those E. T cartridges are going to have company. It feels like a bad time to be jumping into the console space. Most gannets these days won't know what an Atari is.

I think it's pretty obvious this is an Atari 2600 mini console. Might be like the Sega one and take old cartridges.

Edit: Wait, the NES Classic launched several years ago?  Pretty sure it was just last year.

Ka-pi96 said:
Either y'all got trolled, or this is another Ouya

Oh... Yes, it can be a Funny-or-Die kinda of thing. remember the hoverboard?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.