By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Online announced

Decent price.
I can afford it, but i'm not 100% sure if i want to afford it yet.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Well that's basically as low as we expected so there's that but it's essentially all $20 for online play. PSN and Gold are pricer but the value they offer makes it a compelling purchase even without online play.

I think I'd rather save the extra $40 and spend them as I please.

taus90 said:
Am I missing something here!! How on earth is this cheap service.. $20 for a year just to play online on a console that will not see Overwatch, Destiny 2, GTA Online, rocket league or any other big multiplayer third party games??

and free games are classic games which basically doesnt cost anything to nintendo to give out.. unlike Sony and MS offering where they have to give money to developers to put it on the system for free.

How is this better than PSNOW???

People are fine with $60 a year for consoles that wont see Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem for Switch.

Value-wise it's not better, but that's why it's cheaper, which makes it better for the majority of people who are only buying subscriptions because online play is locked behind them.

DialgaMarine said:
I'm still on the fence about my Switch. MK8 has been fun, but the UI is so incredibly bland that I simply can't see myself paying any amount just to play games online. Plus, given Nintendo's track record, I don't foresee a lot of games having online play anyways.

Great! Then that should make the decision of whether to sign up for this service or not a lot easier.

RolStoppable said:
spemanig said:

...NES/SNES are worth cents if anything at all. It is very much not the same. Objectively, this you're getting less for less.

That's your takeaway from the NES Classic?

Interesting point, I wonder how well a closed system containing a handful os PS+ / Gold 'free' classics would fare?

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
spemanig said:

...NES/SNES are worth cents if anything at all. It is very much not the same. Objectively, this you're getting less for less.

Not entirely true as some games like Chrono Trigger were sold at prices well above a few cents some were and still are sold at more than what newly released games are. Most of the most sort after games would cost you more than the 20 quid a year to play them all.

Not only are there are isolated cases in literally everything, but all of those cases are due to scarcity, an issue that doesn't exist in the digital market place. Chrono Trigger, the digital game, is worth pennies if anything at all. Most of the sought after games, digitally, would be worth a dollar or two put together period, if that if we're just talking about NES/SNES games.

It's sadly the lesser of three evils, I'd much rather free online and an optional VC subscription, which I would sign up for. But at $20/yr it's manageable, and the PS4/Xbone are innately around $20/yr more expensive due to power consumption.

RolStoppable said:
spemanig said:

I think the system is worth $60. The games alone are absolutely not.

spemanig said:
RolStoppable said:

But the system is nothing without the games! There's a paradox here.

Signature goes here!

spemanig said:
RolStoppable said:

I understand your position. However, I'm not entirely sure how are we supposed to value games. There are classic games that I'm willing to pay a lot for them nowadays. But that's just subjective value. 

Which is what matters to me in the end. As a consumer 20 bucks is such a good deal for me.