By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Future of Tech and the Nintendo Switch

HoloDust said:
Nah...future is streaming services - it gives ultimate control over content and paymodels to service provider and once infrastructure is good enough, everyone will jump the ship. So in the end, it won't matter if you're on the move or at home, your games are streamed and your paying monthly/yearly subscription.

Talking about hardware though. And I hope streaming isn't the future when it comes to gaming: modding capabilities would take a hit I think.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
HoloDust said:
Nah...future is streaming services - it gives ultimate control over content and paymodels to service provider and once infrastructure is good enough, everyone will jump the ship. So in the end, it won't matter if you're on the move or at home, your games are streamed and your paying monthly/yearly subscription.

Talking about hardware though. And I hope streaming isn't the future when it comes to gaming: modding capabilities would take a hit I think.

What about hardware? With streaming, it becomes irrelevant for end user - sure, you need something to control the game, or if it's handheld, to control and see the game, but other then that, everything is on servers and it's been slowly, but consistently upgraded over time.

Personally, I would not like this sort of gaming future - but I'm fairly certain that's where we're heading.

HoloDust said:
KLAMarine said:

What about hardware? With streaming, it becomes irrelevant for end user - sure, you need something to control the game, or if it's handheld, to control and see the game, but other then that, everything is on servers and it's been slowly, but consistently upgraded over time.

Personally, I would not like this sort of gaming future - but I'm fairly certain that's where we're heading.

Those are the examples I have in my original post: computers, phones, and televisions are all pieces of hardware as are gaming devices. These have to do with the hardware aspect of tech.

On the software side we have, like you said, streaming: services like Netflix which allow one to watch television shows or movies on THEIR schedule, not some television network's schedule.

Convenience.

Digitally-downloaded games on a console also mean one no longer needs to swap a disc or cartridge out of the console to play a different game and digital downloads means no need to drive to a brick-and-mortar store to buy a game either.

There it is again: convenience.

I don't believe the future of gaming is in streaming(as least as primary), unless you mean owning the rights to a game and access it (ie going pure digital download). But if you are talking gaming will go the way of say Netflix I would say you have drawn a false equivalence between movies/tv and gaming.

Certain genres may trend towards streaming (I could see sports games going this way) but most others will not.

I say go back 15 years and go to blockbuster. They rented games, movies, tv series on DVD or VHS. But games were never never their strong point, certain types of games were seen as rentals for sure, but generally speaking renting games was never very popular. So while tech has changed, consumer preferences really don't that much.

People never wanted to own every movie they watch, so Netflix or digital rentals completely satisfies them. People want to own their games, yes certain games they just want to play quick or just try out and would rent.

I see the future of gaming going digital, but streaming. Naw. It will have its place, but it will not be the preferred route. I get annoyed enough with online only games that I enjoy and then cannot play because internet or servers are down. It would be highly irritating if I could not play any games unless my internet was always 100% up.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

KLAMarine said:
HoloDust said:

Those are the examples I have in my original post: computers, phones, and televisions are all pieces of hardware as are gaming devices. These have to do with the hardware aspect of tech.

On the software side we have, like you said, streaming: services like Netflix which allow one to watch television shows or movies on THEIR schedule, not some television network's schedule.

Convenience.

Digitally-downloaded games on a console also mean one no longer needs to swap a disc or cartridge out of the console to play a different game and digital downloads means no need to drive to a brick-and-mortar store to buy a game either.

It is convinience - once everything is streamed, you will have the same quality whether you're home or on the go. This is one of the reasons why I see streaming hitting hard in some not so distant future.

But it's not just that - I'm fairly certain that future streaming platform holders will use the same trick that's been used throughout the history of gaming to reel in the audience - flashy visuals not possible on previous platforms. It's just that this time they can sell you different visual packages depending on how much you pay, cause you'll be paying for server proccessing time, not for actual hardware itself.

This will provide you with the choice of having something that no standalone consumer hardware would be able to pull off, if you go with, let's say, Elite package, or you can go with some other more modest package suited to your needs and budget.

I can't say I'm too happy with this future, but given how much control this gives to platform and content holders, I'd say they'll do whatever it takes to persuade audience to convert to that.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
JRPGfan said:

I think the resolution crap will end with 4k.... it should be a long time until we go higher.
Much rather they spent additional resources on other graphical aspects than just the resolutions.

Maybe at some point in the far far future, a mobile phone can do that stuff.
However I have my doubts.

Why? Physics.
There are laws of physics that could make it impossible to advance that far ahead.
We re reaching the end of how far down we can shrink these chips (ei. 5nm might be as small as we can make things)

Anyways thats a far ways off, and even then, there will be advantages to BIGGER systems, than smaller ones.
Does this mean a Switch 2? is a bad way to go? not at all.

I just dont think thats the route PS5 or XB2 take, or the future of consoles (other than nintendo).

I fear that won't be the case, we already have 8k, who know what will be next after 8k..

Paperboy_J said:
Yeah, I think the Switch is pretty much the future of gaming. No one ever thought smartphones would overtake dedicated cameras. No one ever thought the house phone would disappear. No one ever thought people would want to watch movies and tv shows on the go, yet look what happened.

Graphics and power will always be number 1, right? Gamers will always want power first and that will never change! There's no way hardcore gamers will sacrifice power for portability, right? Just watch.

We already have before planty cases where graphics and power are not most important, latest ones are Wii and 3DS, actually this is only generation where power and graphics are important but that just because PS4 offers better power and graphics over XB1 for same price, while in all other things they are identical. Power and graphics are not so important if you have different product that gives you different possibilities and experience.

Agreed. Not to mention, the graphical power of portable consoles is rapidly catching up to home console. Hell, Zelda BoW looks goregeous. And Switch is powerful enough that it's capable of having Skyrim ported to it, likely with enhanced graphics too. 

Home console has gone off the deep end with super-powered consoles and gimmicks like 3D and VR that have so far been met with tepid results. I think we're at a point where graphic quality is reaching "good enough" to the majority of the market. Of course there will always be the techies who strive for photorealism but I thinik they'll increasingly become a minority, especially as costs of game development skyrockets. Many here have said things like, Switch won't sell because of its outdated hardware. Ironically, I think Sony and MS are the ones who will ultimately prove to have the outdated hardware, as things move more and more towards portability, and a breaking from the TV screen. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

HoloDust said:

It is convinience - once everything is streamed, you will have the same quality whether you're home or on the go. This is one of the reasons why I see streaming hitting hard in some not so distant future.

But it's not just that - I'm fairly certain that future streaming platform holders will use the same trick that's been used throughout the history of gaming to reel in the audience - flashy visuals not possible on previous platforms. It's just that this time they can sell you different visual packages depending on how much you pay, cause you'll be paying for server proccessing time, not for actual hardware itself.

This will provide you with the choice of having something that no standalone consumer hardware would be able to pull off, if you go with, let's say, Elite package, or you can go with some other more modest package suited to your needs and budget.

I can't say I'm too happy with this future, but given how much control this gives to platform and content holders, I'd say they'll do whatever it takes to persuade audience to convert to that.

I think streaming has a few issues to iron out before it ever becomes feasible.

Latency is a big one, streaming video games does introduce input lag... I for one do not look forward to Streaming video games as I am so far removed from any big server farms, it would be a terrible experience.

Rendering quality is another, having a compressed video feed streamed to your screen that has compression artifacts isn't as good as rendering it locally.

I do think it will happen eventually, but I don't think the *entire* planet is technically ready for it yet.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Agreed. Not to mention, the graphical power of portable consoles is rapidly catching up to home console. Hell, Zelda BoW looks goregeous. And Switch is powerful enough that it's capable of having Skyrim ported to it, likely with enhanced graphics too.

Breath of the Wild looks last generation though.

Skyrim is last generation also. Not exactly making a good argument for yourself. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

I think streaming has a few issues to iron out before it ever becomes feasible.

Latency is a big one, streaming video games does introduce input lag... I for one do not look forward to Streaming video games as I am so far removed from any big server farms, it would be a terrible experience.

Rendering quality is another, having a compressed video feed streamed to your screen that has compression artifacts isn't as good as rendering it locally.

I do think it will happen eventually, but I don't think the *entire* planet is technically ready for it yet.

Oh, I don't think we'll move to streaming as only or major way of gaming anytime soon - I agree, we're nowhere near technical capabilites for that - latency and bandwidth for good compression is not there yet for most of the world. But eventually, we'll get there...not that I'm too happy about it as well.

JRPGfan said:

I think the resolution crap will end with 4k.... it should be a long time until we go higher.
Much rather they spent additional resources on other graphical aspects than just the resolutions.

Maybe at some point in the far far future, a mobile phone can do that stuff.
However I have my doubts.

Why? Physics.
There are laws of physics that could make it impossible to advance that far ahead.
We re reaching the end of how far down we can shrink these chips (ei. 5nm might be as small as we can make things)

Anyways thats a far ways off, and even then, there will be advantages to BIGGER systems, than smaller ones.
Does this mean a Switch 2? is a bad way to go? not at all.

I just dont think thats the route PS5 or XB2 take, or the future of consoles (other than nintendo).

tolu619 said:
Those are some really good points. The trade off is power. Once people can have similar power in a device like the switch as they are used to from high end consoles, convenience be the major factor in choosing what to buy. But for now, many are not satisfied with the trade off
RolStoppable said:
Dallinor said:

Certainly the near-future. It's way too limited in scope to be the entirety of the future.

They're not satifisfied, so they go, where? The industry massively retracts and the flagship franchises just dissapear? Sony and to a lesser extent Xbox are the home of third party games, they are the chain stores that reach the masses . Third parties will follow them, because although you mention Sony needing third parties, the reality is third parties at present, given the direction the industry has taken, also need Sony and MS, or a similar version of them, to reach their audience. They are the safe bet.

By juggling you mean, like the Switch, the future of consoles? And 3 years on, with market trends and comparable hardware to analyse, it will end up being half-baked?

1. I don't claim it to be the entirety. But it's going to be more successful than the stationary home consoles it competes with. Not only because of the convenience, but also because portable devices have a higher chance to become personalized items, i.e. households are going to own more than one Switch.

2. The PC will always exist. Microsoft could put out a stronger box every three years to stay within reach of gaming PCs, but without calling anything a new generation and not making anything exclusive; that doesn't take much effort and doesn't contradict their current direction of less emphasis on Xbox. With these two things in mind, there will be pressure on Sony to put out a powerful box too. Microsoft may only have a strong presence in the USA and the UK, but it's these two markets (USA being the most important by far) that Western AAA publishers focus on.

3. Juggling a home console and hybrid means a standard PS5 like you'd expect (stationary home console to stay within reach of gaming PCs) and a hybrid that plays PS4 games as long as publishers care enough to port them. The hybrid in this scenario would be halfbaked because it would be a console that plays old games and goes up against Switch which gets all of the latest Nintendo games.

About Sony and AAA publishers, the former will probably schedule HW evolution also based on the needs of the latter, if they'll keep on being relevant for its consoles. In the short term the safest bet will be to extend its 8th gen life as long as posssible, so, if the hybrid way will be shown by facts as the only viable one, portable HW will be able to offer a performance jump anyway, at least compared to the previous entry level model.
A halfbaked PS5 home + PS4 portable solution wouldn't work more than with meh results: if they won't go the Switch way, with a hybrid device, better either two different architectures, each one dedicated to its specific purpose, home or portable, or a unified architecture with home and portable (possibly hybrid) different devices that offer the same CPU power (viable a little less power on the portable, that would run very few auxiliary programs, or none at all, when not docked) and different GPU power, but this would need very good dev tools that make scaling the game graphics as easy as possible with results that go beyond the automatic scaling offered by most modern game engines.
One more thing: except for devs and publishers mostly targeting power whores, most devs could welcome the pause Switch approach offered on skyrocketing HW requirements for PC and home console games, this, if widespread enough, would change Sony approach too, that having already done a step in this direction with PS4 HW, a lot less expensive than PS3 one if taken at any same time from respective launches, could appreciate cutting costs even more.
Power whores may rant as they want about 4k and even 8k, but the vast majority of gamers, even on PC, eventually reach a point where they're happy with the same performances for quite a long time and from then on they upgrade only when a significant performance boost is possible at a cheap price.
As for VR, it still needs to better input devices, methods, paradigms a lot, but this needs new brilliant ideas and very little additional HW power, while for graphics, like plain stereoscopic 3D without VR, it just needs twice as much GPU power as plain 3D projection on single 2D displays, a given graphics level on traditional displays becomes reachable by VR in less than a half generation time, so a 2020 hybrid will be able to offer VR at Switch res or more and 1080p on 2D displays at decent framerates, this means that HW power will be a problem only if they keep on the power whorish way, but it's very likely that tha vast majority of both devs and users will be happy with the most viable approach.
On one thing only Sony will need to be prodigal, main RAM size, as vast and detailed worlds with many detailed items could eventually start needing to be loaded dynamically or divided in chunks on devices with less RAM. This way less expensive timed exclusives could become de facto permanent ones if porting to the platforms with less RAM were too expensive compared to the possible additional revenue generated.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

HoloDust said:
KLAMarine said:

Convenience.

So what do you feel this could mean for the future of hardware's form factor?