By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed so... is Zelda BOTW GOTY?

is Zelda BOTW GOTY?

Yes 350 69.86%

No 126 25.15%

Super Mario Odyssey is GOTY 25 4.99%

Total:501
Barkley said:
contestgamer said:

Has it ever sold 10 mill plus? No. SS didnt even break 4 million, which is like an indie number. 

Wtf.... You have a very strange defintion of Niche, and 4 million an indie number??? Maybe 0.01% of Indie games reach that height.

4 Million is an excellent number for a AAA game.

And no its not, how many times has Square come out and said selling 5 million of Tomb raider and other properties was a "disappointment"? 4 million is disappointing

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Barkley said:

Wtf.... You have a very strange defintion of Niche, and 4 million an indie number??? Maybe 0.01% of Indie games reach that height.

4 Million is an excellent number for a AAA game.

And no its not, how many times has Square come out and said selling 5 million of Tomb raider and other properties was a "disappointment"? 4 million is disappointing

I think you have a very narrow defintion of AAA.

CoD selling 4 million would be dissapointing, Infamous selling 4 million would not.

The Crew didn't reach 4 million afaik, don't see them complaining.

Barkley said:
contestgamer said:

I think you have a very narrow defintion of AAA.

CoD selling 4 million would be dissapointing, Infamous selling 4 million would not.

The Crew didn't reach 4 million afaik, don't see them complaining.

Those are niche games too though. I'm not saying people need to complain. I'm not saying niche as a deragatory term - I'm simply stating that it's a niche franchise. It doesnt change the fact that Zelda is one of the best franchises ever, if not the best.

Horizon, Nier, and Persona will all get double digit GOTY awards as well. Zelda is the darling of critics, and will always get GOTY regardless.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:

How can you say someones OPINION is not realistic? xD

Exactly, not to mention "one of best games ever" is an opinion too. One opinion doesn't cancel out another one...

Very possible that there will be people who think Nintendo have at least 3 games better than Zelda this year, and also very possible some of those people will be in handing out GOTY awards or something similar too.

Actually not, that is fact based on critical reception of game.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Jpcc86 said:

The highest rated doesnt necessarily win.

Maybe so, but usually, it is.

Not true, actually. The highest reviewed non port/remaster game (by Metacritic scores) has not won the greatest amount of GotY awards from major critics (using this list) since Uncharted 2 in 2009. It's only happened twice in the past 15 years, with the other instance being Metroid Prime (2002). So, no, not usually.

contestgamer said:
mZuzek said:

Now, look in the mirror and say to yourself "Zelda is a niche franchise" without grinning.

Has it ever sold 10 mill plus? No. SS didnt even break 4 million, which is like an indie number. 

This made me laugh

Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time have sold more than 10 million btw

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually not, that is fact based on critical reception of game.

No, it's not. Something being "one of best games ever" can never be a fact. One of the highest rated according to metacritic, sure, but that's not what you're saying.

Yes it is and of course it can, and actually lots a reviews called Zelda Botw "one of best games ever", there is reason why game has 68 perfect scores.

Kyuu said:
Cloudman said:
It's def possible, but there is still Horizon, Persona 5, and perhaps even Mario has a chance. It just means one less competitor, haha.

I can't think of any title besides RDR, GTA, TloU and Mario that could stand a chance at The Game Awards. Persona is niche and Horizon is a new IP from a meh developer.

Yeah, I couldn't think of other titles that I feel have a good shot, though I'm not well informed on all the games coming this year. I do think Horizon has a shot, since reception on that game as been good overall. Persona 5 however likely doesn't, sadly, since the game and its genre is rather niche in the gaming space. The game sounds excellent though and should get a spot as a contender at least.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Ka-pi96 said:
MTZehvor said:

Not true, actually. The highest reviewed non port/remaster game (by Metacritic scores) has not won the greatest amount of GotY awards from major critics (using this list) since Uncharted 2 in 2009. It's only happened twice in the past 15 years, with the other instance being Metroid Prime (2002). So, no, not usually.

Did you... add them up on that list yourself? :O

You could use this site https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/
Adds total GOTY awards per year up for you. It has Uncharted 4 being highester rated on metacritic and having most GOTYs, although that includes reader GOTYs which is what puts it above Overwatch for total.

I did add them myself, although I didn't take reader GotY's into account. I'm never quite sure what exactly people are talking about when they say a game is "the" game of the year, so I tend to assume most critic awards.