By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Blind Rhythm Heaven player sends letter to Nintendo and receives reply in braille

Tagged games:

that is sweet.

well done big N

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Such a nice story, and so awesome that Ninten even took the time to respond in braille too. I wonder now if that means would could get another Rhythm Heaven game in the future. I'd love another new title in the series.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I wonder how braille works for japanese people since they use Kanji, do they have to learn how to write in normal letters the japanese words ? I bet it's a lot harder than for other blind people...

Luke888 said:
I wonder how braille works for japanese people since they use Kanji, do they have to learn how to write in normal letters the japanese words ? I bet it's a lot harder than for other blind people...

I don't think blind people know how letters "look" like. Braille should be an universal language, so it should be equally easy and hard for everyone. Though I don't much about the subject, so don't take my word for it.

OT: my heart T_T

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Luke888 said:

I don't think blind people know how letters "look" like. Braille should be an universal language, so it should be equally easy and hard for everyone. Though I don't much about the subject, so don't take my word for it.

OT: my heart T_T

As far as Pokémon thaught me it's just dots patterns each of which rappresents a regular letter, for Japan or China that wouldn't work...

Around the Network
Luke888 said:

Hiragana and Katakana are syllabic; they are readable with enough context clues. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Braille

"Japanese Braille is the braille script of the Japanese language. It is based on the original braille script, though the connection is tenuous. In Japanese it is known as tenji (点字?), literally "dot characters". It transcribes Japanese more or less as it would be written in the hiragana or katakana syllabaries, without any provision for writing kanji (Chinese characters)."

"Japanese Braille is a vowel-based abugida. That is, the glyphs are syllabic, but unlike kana they contain separate symbols for consonant and vowel, and the vowel takes primacy. The vowels are written in the upper left corner (points 1, 2, 4) and may be used alone. The consonants are written in the lower right corner (points 3, 5, 6) and cannot occur alone.[1] However, the semivowel y is indicated by point 4, one of the vowel points, and the vowel combination is dropped to the bottom of the block. When this point is written in isolation, it indicates that the following syllable has a medial y, as in mya. Syllables beginning with w are indicated by dropping the vowel points to the bottom of the cell without additional consonant points.[2"