By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genre changes that worked?

CaptainExplosion said:
eva01beserk said:
So far Im against everything said in this thread. Not a game has been a genre change, just an advancement in tech. 2d to 3d, should not count. Linear to open world either. also changing camera positions, first or third person view is not a genre. And for the one who said turn base rpgs going action rpgs, this is the only one i think is closest. Still rpg is the base game.

You're also against singular posts it seems. =P

I am, it bothers me when someone responds to a single point and ignores the rest. So individual points makes sense. :p

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Mummelmann said:
Jak & Daxter going from wacky platformer to darker 3rd person adventure/action/shooter style, easily the best game in the series.

Yeah, but that kinda lead Naughty Dog to eventually abandon cartoony games they were known for. -_-

That's true, but they've evolved into a studio that makes perhaps the best action games in the world, so the trade-off is acceptable for me. Besides, there are other developers who had that style that I miss more, like Free Radical. As long as ND titles retain their excellent quality, I don't mind change, I'm more opposed to developers who remain the same year after year. ND are also good at daring to develop new IP's, something that's rare in today's industry and very few are willing to take risks or shake up the recipes.

Wolfenstein would be good example. The original Castle Wolfenstein was centered on infiltration more akin to Metal gear, complete with a Top Down view. Wolfenstein 3D is basically the first codifier of the FPS Genre

Well, most of the ones I can think of are 2D-3D transitions, like Metroid, Mario and GTA. While some may say that they don't count, I'd say that they deviated enough from their 2D versions to be considered as separate.

eva01beserk said:
So far Im against everything said in this thread. Not a game has been a genre change, just an advancement in tech. 2d to 3d, should not count. Linear to open world either. also changing camera positions, first or third person view is not a genre. And for the one who said turn base rpgs going action rpgs, this is the only one i think is closest. Still rpg is the base game.

I'd argue camera change does make it a different genre, hence why we have FPS and third-person shooters. They play very differently, with third person shooters tending to have more of an emphasis on cover, and FPSs being more fast paced and twitchy. Sure, you could just lump them as shooters, but then you could jsut throw 2D shooters in there too, and they play wildly different.

That's why I'd say Metroid Prime would be considered a successful genre change. It was more than just a 2D to 3D change, like with Mario or Zelda. More emphasis on combat, scanning the environment, puzzles, etc.

Around the Network

Dynasty Warriors going from a fighting game to a hack n slash.

I guess Resident Evil 4 is the most successful. It moved from a slow-burn survival-horror to an action game.

I know a lot of folks will disagree, but I think Banjo-Kazooie moving from platformer to vehicle construction sim was successful. Nuts & Bolts isn't in the same ballpark as Banjo-Kazooie but I believe it's a solid game.

Would Red Faction: Guerrilla count? It moved from shooter to sandbox action.

No one has mentioned Castlevania yet? Really!?. 8-16 bit era they were linear action games. With the 32 bit era and beyond became a side scrolling Action RPG with Metroid elements..thus creating the term Metroidvania.

CaptainExplosion said:
SegataSanshiro said:
No one has mentioned Castlevania yet? Really!?. 8-16 bit era they were linear action games. With the 32 bit era and beyond became a side scrolling Action RPG with Metroid elements..thus creating the term Metroidvania.

Super Metroid did it better. =P

Anyone remember when NaughtyDog made Jak X Combat Racing?

Super Metroid is not a RPG.

CaptainExplosion said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Super Metroid is not a RPG.

Still did the exploration and item collecting better. =P

Just so you know I fucking hate SOTN. Castlevania 4 and Rondo of Blood plus Bloodlines are my jam.