By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Pirate Of The Caribbean 5 Is Being Held For Ransom By Hackers

Pirate Of The Caribbean 5 Is Being Held For Ransom By Hackers

Pirated pirates.

One of the summer’s biggest movie releases has been stolen and is being held for ransom. It has been reported that hackers have demanded a payout from Disney or else they will release Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales onto the internet.

According to Deadline, hackers have demanded "an enormous amount of money," to be paid in Bitcoin, or else they will release the movie in increments online. The site reports that the studio is refusing to pay and is currently working with the FBI.

While Disney has not officially commented on the story, chief executive Bob Iger did confirm to ABC employees on Monday that the incident had taken place. The identity of the stolen film was not revealed, but Deadline has since learned that it is the latest entry in the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean series. The movie is set to hit theaters on May 24.

Deadline spoke to online security expert Hector Monsegur, who explained that while big studios like Disney have tight security measures, there is no guarantee that the many third party companies involved with a movie's production would have the same level of online protection.

"You have all these vendors and small production companies which don't have great security," he said. "[They] probably don't have the budget to focus on their own security, so hackers get in pretty easily."

This is the second incident of a high-profile production being held for ransom in recent weeks. Earlier this month, a hacker claimed that he had stolen the latest season of the Netflix show Orange is the New Black, and was similarly demanding a payout from the streaming giant.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pirate-of-the-caribbean-5-is-being-held-for-ransom/1100-6450075/

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Never even knew there was a new Pirates film coming this year, let alone next week! Now I want to see it... free advertisement right there

Hey, maybe these "hackers" are paid by Disney as a publicity stunt.  Yeah.

Ka-pi96 said:
Never even knew there was a new Pirates film coming this year, let alone next week! Now I want to see it... free advertisement right there

I'm probably not going to see it. I think that the series should have ended after the third movie.

Ka-pi96 said:

There was also a new Star Wars, a new Fast n Furious, new Alien btw

Love the series. I'll still hit the theatres either way without thinking twice to see it in all it's glory.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

This is a perfect example of why in modern times movie studios need to give customers the choice of how they want to watch the film on release day. Allow people to buy the disk, download, stream and go to the theaters day one. Most movies are pirated and online anyways soon after release. Most people would pay for them.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

lol it's funny how Bitcoin has become this perfect black market currency for all kinds of criminal activity. I don't imagine that was the initial goal.

So the pirates have pirated a pirate's movie, and are threatening to allow other pirates to pirate the pirate's movie as well. What an irony.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'm going to watch it.

Sure its another Pirates movie but the last one was 6 years ago so I don't mind, and I need variety. I'm tired of majority seeing super hero movies year after year after year after year........after year..................................after year.

BraLoD said:
Internet ransom is becoming really popular lately...

almost like a lot of people use the internet, interesting

Twitter @CyberMalistix