By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 100 Countries Ranked In Terms Of Gaming Revenue...

Qwark said:
DialgaMarine said:
It's hilarious to see how many people still deem Japan as an irrelevant gaming market, even though it's the third largest in the world.

Depends on whether you see the EU as market or not and in comparison to EU and NA Japan isn't really that big of a market. That's why Sony's main focus is on capturing and holding Europe and not trying to win back Japan.

If you could combine the Asia area than it would be part of the biggest market. Too bad the other Asian countries don't have much love for consoles.

Around the Network
think-man said:
TheBraveGallade said:

well as a korean, I can confirm that the mobile market is HUUUGE over here. and PC gaming as well. consoles have NO place here exept for ninty handhelds.

I'm surprised consoles haven't really taken off in Korea, what is the general reason for this?

Free-to-play no doubt.

think-man said:
Qwark said:

Depends on whether you see the EU as market or not and in comparison to EU and NA Japan isn't really that big of a market. That's why Sony's main focus is on capturing and holding Europe and not trying to win back Japan.

If you could combine the Asia area than it would be part of the biggest market. Too bad the other Asian countries don't have much love for consoles.

But the Asian markets are in general not seen as the same market they don't even share the same currency or have an EU. Besides Asia doesn't give a damn about home consoles, they do like handhelds though. The Switch could do rather well over there.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

shikamaru317 said:
Zkuq said:

So, uh, I was interested in other numbers as well... Sorry for the long post, and I hope I didn't screw up anything. Something broke when I pasted the data into LibreOffice, but I think I managed to fix it. All units are USD as you'd expect.

Revenue per person:

Lol, Luxembourg being above the US is hilarious. 

Well, considering  a Luxembourger has generally a higher pay (and a 2000€ minimum wage, just saying), it would actually be hinarious if it wasn't

Zkuq said:
shikamaru317 said:

Well, it's a rich country as far as I know, so not that odd. But considering how little we usually hear from these small countries, it does indeed feel strange. Personally I find the high ranking of Qatar even stranger.

The problem in the case of Luxembourg is that often the market is so small it gets fused with the Belgian one both due to size and historical reasons (Luxembourg and Belgium shared the same currency since after World War 1 in an Economic Union, basically one of the precursors of the European union in this regard). In fact, while my Wii U is registered as being in Luxembourg (the first console I owned which recognised the country, I would have needed a belgian Adress for the Club Nintendo rewards.

make no mistakes however, gaming is huge here in Luxembourg, though historically more predominatly on PC than on consoles.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Zkuq said:

So, uh, I was interested in other numbers as well... Sorry for the long post, and I hope I didn't screw up anything. Something broke when I pasted the data into LibreOffice, but I think I managed to fix it. All units are USD as you'd expect.

Revenue per person:

Luxembourg is almost always near the top of these sorts of lists.. it's just a super wealthy micronation in Europe (smaller than Rhode Island for reference) that is on all money-related lists lol... not quite Monaco, but close to it.

Also, from what I understand it's rather important in Europe as far as the EU and international law goes.

Qwark said:
think-man said:

But the Asian markets are in general not seen as the same market they don't even share the same currency or have an EU. Besides Asia doesn't give a damn about home consoles, they do like handhelds though. The Switch could do rather well over there.

Asia likes handhelds? I think you mean Japan likes handhelds. Consoles are just too expensive for most of Asia.