By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo could get all the third party support in the world.

Let's face it. Nintendo hasn't had the best third party support since the SNES. Why? What happened?

Wii: Graphically underpowered. Third party devs would rather sell to the combined PC + 360 + PS3 owners than take a chance making their game for a single system. Wii sold well, but active user base was very low. Very little third party support.

N64: Carts were expensive and couldn't hold as much memory. Cutting edge graphics. Low sales compared to PS1. Nintendo pissed devs off with tyranical bussiness practices from the NES/SNES days. Very little third party support.

Gamecube: Tiny Disks were a pain to make games for. Sales of the console were low. Best third party support after NES, and SNES.

NES/SNES: Graphically competitive. Good sales. Easy to develop for.  Fantastic third party support.

So what does Nintendo have to do to get good third party support? Simple. Make a system that is graphically competitive, sells well, and is easy and cheap to make games for.

Around the Network

I thought we were already past this point? The Switch is out and is doing well, I don't think there's much to discuss now.

Hopefully they will never do this. The Switch is far superior to any other console imo.

Wii's third party support was great, by the way. Not exemplary or anything, but great. It really didn't need amazing graphics to get games on it.

Cerebralbore101 said:

So what does Nintendo have to do to get good third party support? Simple. Make a system that is graphically competitive, sells well, and is easy and cheap to make games for.

And then Nintendo dies as a console manufacturer and still doesn't get third party support. At least right now they have Japanese low and mid-tier third parties in the palm of their hands, and are making porting to Switch an easy option for Indie - AA titles, despite the performance differences. 

The worst thing Nintendo can do is directly compete with the PS4/XBO because they are so far behind in brand-loyalty, online infrastructure, etc, and the market is already crowded. Nintendo is doing the right thing by pushing into the handheld market, and merging it with their home-console infrastructure. Making ports easy allows for moderate (albeit not the best) third-party suppport, the ball just has to get rolling. 

Around the Network

Buy 30 million PS4s, cross out the Playstation logos, put a Nintendo sticker on it and there, Nintendo could have the same 3rd party support as PS4.

VGPolyglot said:
I thought we were already past this point? The Switch is out and is doing well, I don't think there's much to discuss now.

It's only been 2 months.

Wright said:

Wii's third party support was great, by the way. Not exemplary or anything, but great. It really didn't need amazing graphics to get games on it.

What games did it get? I have a pretty solid Wii collection and I can only think of five good third party titles for it.

spemanig said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's only been 2 months.

Yeah, and I guess it makes it way too early for me to be trying to wrap my head around a successor to the Switch.