By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kimishima cautious about selling 10 million Switch units this fiscal year, third-party asked for big games quickly

Nintendo has set a target of moving ten million Switch units this coming fiscal year. However, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima is being cautious about that goal. Nikkei quotes Kimishima as recently saying, “I don’t think we can readily achieve the target [of selling 10 million consoles].”

Nikkei’s piece has one other noteworthy excerpt. The site reports: “An executive at one software company said Nintendo asked it to introduce major releases ‘as early as possible.'” Who might that third-party publisher be?

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Well, 3rd parties want that userbase as big as possible, obviously. But why wouldn't they just release games for the system too? I mean, they want an userbase to sell their products grown exclusively out of the effords of others, try some risks too. The early 3rd party Switch games have sold wonderfully for the most part, and they are A-AA games. A FIFA or an Overwatch at launch would have done even better.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

10m not happening imo.

How can Kimishima say the Switch can equal the Wii, but also hesitate on 10m units with one of the best 1st party line ups ever?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

After Wii U, It's better to be cautious.

Around the Network

If they release Splatoon, Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart (remaster) all in one year and can't ship 10 million, god help the Switch, that's most of their big series right out the gate.

I definitely expect it will happen, not sure why he's being cautious about it.

Slarvax said:
How can Kimishima say the Switch can equal the Wii, but also hesitate on 10m units with one of the best 1st party line ups ever?

You just didn't understand what kimishima meant!

Switch can equal the wii by lasting more than it, also with homes having more than one switch...

To clarify it how  he might think it: wii sold 70m in 4 years and other 25m  in two year ( +6m after being replaced ) , switch to do 70m in 6 years and another 25m in in three years , +5m  after being replaced ) !

RolStoppable said:
This doesn't line up with Nintendo's most recent Q&A session which must be treated as correct because it's officially translated by Nintendo. Whoever translated the Nikkei article must have made a mistake.

From which Q&A?

I called it before Kimishima ever did.

Jpcc86 said:
I called it before Kimishima ever did.

You're happy to announce Nintendo's shortcomings.  That doesn't make you a prognosticator or an analyst.