By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone liked the Don Mattrick era better than Phil Spencer?

Does anyone know the extent of Phil's involvement in the making of Xbox One? Phil was part of the team after all. For all we know, his plans were similar to those of Don. Kinect did set the 360 sales on fire, and a lot of people thought it was sensible to improve it and push in that direction further.

You shouldn't let Phil off the hook, especially that he sucked so far. Anyone replacing Don would've unbundled Kinect, If Don lasted longer he would've done that himself... so what else has Phil done? Blowing tons of money to secure TR for few months?

Around the Network

Console business is a side business for Microsoft, and now they're acting like it too. To me, this feels like it's in line with what Nadella's been doing with the whole company.

I'll give Spencer the benifit of the doubt till this E3. If he has nothing this year, then things will not improve. Peter Moore was definently the best head of the Xbox division, but now he works for EA. Yes, the best head of Xbox works for EA, take that in for just a moment...

Edit: Almost forgot that he did quit EA. He's now the head of Liverpool's football club. Good for him

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

shikamaru317 said:
barneystinson69 said:

I'll give Spencer the benifit of the doubt till this E3. If he has nothing this year, then things will not improve. Peter Moore was definently the best head of the Xbox division, but now he works for EA. Yes, the best head of Xbox works for EA, take that in for just a moment...

He's actually about to leave EA to manage a soccer/football team. It sucks to see him leave gaming Peter, please come back to Xbox and save us from Phil Spencer!!!

I remember reading about that a few months back. Almost forgot, I mean the guy was like the face of EA for years. Who is the current CEO of EA?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Mattrick did what he was told, just a puppet to the guy upstairs. He never caused the mess.
Phil is also a puppet, but fortunate that the guy upstairs changed things.

Love scapegoating, pathetic though.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
JRPGfan said:

^ this.

Who was the guy before Don Mattrick then? the guy responcible for Xb360 and how many jrpgs ect it got?

Is he still around at MS? get him back at the helm of the ship for xbox two?

Peter Moore.

Don Mattrick did not bring that many games he just made some franchises also available on xbox;...

Anybody else think Peter Moore looks like the Devil? Like he could be reasonably cast as the prince of darkness in a movie?

Anyways, Moore oversaw, and by some peoples estimate, greenlit the RROD castastrophy, knowing there was an issue, and still going forward with the hardware as it was. The most infamous Xbox event ever. I lost respect for him in how that situation was handled. For an extended period (close to 2 years), there was a lot of blustery hoo-blah, denial and inaction. They eventually made good, but still.....

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

shikamaru317 said:
barneystinson69 said:

I remember reading about that a few months back. Almost forgot, I mean the guy was like the face of EA for years. Who is the current CEO of EA?

Andrew Wilson, has been since 2013. But like you said, Peter Moore was the face of the company. He was the one who was out on stage at most of the press conferences. Peter Moore always was good on stage. Loved his Xbox E3's with the tattoos. 

E3 2006 with GTA IV, and E3 2003 (or was it 2004?) for Halo 2. I tell you, no "executive" today would be willing to put a tattoo on himself to announce a game. Those were the days...

Don Mattrcik was not the brightest CEO, was he ?

barneystinson69 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Andrew Wilson, has been since 2013. But like you said, Peter Moore was the face of the company. He was the one who was out on stage at most of the press conferences. Peter Moore always was good on stage. Loved his Xbox E3's with the tattoos. 

E3 2006 with GTA IV, and E3 2003 (or was it 2004?) for Halo 2. I tell you, no "executive" today would be willing to put a tattoo on himself to announce a game. Those were the days...

googled it...

Honestly, I don't know. Spencer is more camera-friendly, but hasn't done anything, really, to build up Microsoft's first-party studios. He probably wants to, but Microsoft doesn't want to throw a lot of money at a business line that's minor in the grand scheme of things.

Mattrick presided over some pretty lousy years for Xbox: 2010-2013. Looking back, 2010 seems to be the end of an era -- the last great Halo game and the introduction of Kinect, which would go on to hamstring the XOne launch.

Frankly, I don't think it really matters who the face of Xbox is. The glory years on 360 are gone and probably lost forever. Microsoft will continue to monetize evergreen series like Halo, Gears, and Forza, and continue to make money off subscriptions, controllers, and micro-transactions, but it won't invest the time and money into the Xbox ecosystem necessary for a true contender in the console space.