By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Emulation - The Legalities, Ethics, Benefits and Drawbacks

deskpro2k3 said:

I don't believe anyone when they say they're using Emulation for anything else but to pirate games.

If you want to preserve a game, buy it and keep it.

Yes it impact game sales, and developers.

I don't have data sources, but I know three people in real life that does it
, and I knew one user on this site that uses it to pirate games and he supported a PS3 jailbreaker.

To be honest i dont know anyone in real life who actually owned a game he or she was emulating... everyone was just pirating...

Are there people who own the game and are just emulating? sure there must be, but im yet to find the first one (thats not some comment on the internet).

Around the Network
estebxx said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I don't believe anyone when they say they're using Emulation for anything else but to pirate games.

If you want to preserve a game, buy it and keep it.

Yes it impact game sales, and developers.

I don't have data sources, but I know three people in real life that does it
, and I knew one user on this site that uses it to pirate games and he supported a PS3 jailbreaker.

To be honest i dont know anyone in real life who actually owned a game he or she was emulating... everyone was just pirating...

Are there people who own the game and are just emulating? sure there must be, but im yet to find the first one (thats not some comment on the internet).

a friend of mine ask to borrow some PS3 games, then he copied them into his harddrive. that's last time I lent him my games. They don't have to own the game, they could borrow it from a friend, or rent it for cheap.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Benefits: I can play Mario Party 2 in 1080p.

Ethics: IDGAF

Is it easy to emulate cell CPU ?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Is it easy to emulate cell CPU ?

Doesn't seem to be holding emulation back that's for sure. PS3 emulation is farther along than Xbox 360 emulation.

What are your views on emulation?
In full support. It preserves software, games and ecosystems, it brings games to a wider audience that otherwise might not have been able to experience said games... And allows people to revisit nostalgic eras in gaming. 

What benefits does emulation provide?
Better graphics, mods, online multiplayer (For games that don't have it), homebrew and more. 

Does it impact game sales?
Probably not to any great degree. Emulation rarely works with newer platforms and newer games, it usually takes time. (The WiiU being an exception to the rule.) Console sales usually drop-off to being non-existent after the initial release window. 

How do game creators feel about this?
I don't think it matters how they feel? It's going to happen whether they like it or not. They either embrace it, or face a loosing battle. 

What are the legalities and ethics around emulation?
Emulation is perfectly legal. Acquiring the games is where the legality issues resides. In Australia and many European nations it is perfectly legal to make duplicate copies of software/games for personal use, however... Those same rights don't extend to countries like the UK, USA or Canada. 

What percentage of those that use emulators are engaged in privacy?
Well. I would hope everyone is engaged in privacy. Most countries frown upon those who are perverts. 

Are there sources of data to support this?
The Bleem vs Sony precedent. Sony lost against the Bleem emulator on all accounts, cementing the idea that Emulation is perfectly legal. 

Let's discuss this!  Keep it civil, please.
You are not my real mother, you can't tell me what to do. :P

estebxx said:

I own all the games I emulate. Sometimes I even own multiple copies of a game.
For example I own a copy of Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64, Xbox 360 (Digital via Arcade) and Xbox One (Disc via Rare collection). And will thus Emulate it on PC too.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I was a fan of emulation when I was young and couldn't afford games. Now that I'm an adult with a job I wouldn't touch it. So many franchises I love as a kid are now gone forever, I'm not saying emulation and piracy caused this, but it most certainly didn't help it.

Spam removed - think-man

Pemalite said:

estebxx said:

I own all the games I emulate. Sometimes I even own multiple copies of a game.
For example I own a copy of Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64, Xbox 360 (Digital via Arcade) and Xbox One (Disc via Rare collection). And will thus Emulate it on PC too.

Ok, so nothing new then.

Emulation is cool, but let's not pretend the majority is pirating the games, just because people on hardcore gaming forums do/claim do to it the legal way doesn't mean 95% out there doesn't pirate stuff. Gaming fora are a small minority compared to the opinion/tastes of the mainstream casual gamer, it's easy af to download roms for the emulator on your smartphone, all kids do it.

1 thing I don't like about emulation is how ugly 6th gen era games can look in high resolution, they're not meant to be seen that way. On Gamecube/PS2 they had mystique around them with imperfections hidden, games looked bigger and better.

think-man said:

I was a fan of emulation when I was young and couldn't afford games. Now that I'm an adult with a job I wouldn't touch it. So many franchises I love as a kid are now gone forever, I'm not saying emulation and piracy caused this, but it most certainly didn't help it.

Yeah as I grew up I used less and less emulation. There's 3 reasons for that:

-more disposable income to buy current gen games

-grew up during the golden years of gaming, renting and borrowing was huge, saw many great games, so less things to go back to emulate

-ran out of classics to emulate, I still have a few I want to play but they're not a huge priority as many games go straight to my backlog these days

The sole Purpose of Emulation(at least for me) is to pirate 99% of the time, if they say they want to preserve their games(just an excuse for me the they should also preserve their games systems/console.