By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Help with piano

monocle_layton said:

I've started piano not too long ago. It's going fine, but I was wondering what I could do to consistently improve over the next few years. I'm not in any rush, so any feedback of any sort would be appreciated.

For reference, I am using a Yamaha 88 key keyboard that is weighted. As of now, i know the basics and can play simple/basic songs

I play quite a bit of classical piano, but I did it since a young age, and don't remember exactly how I came to know how to play, lol...

As for learning pieces/practicing hard segments: 

Playing something wrong over and over again is completely useless, in terms of improvement, and a great way to integrate permanent mistakes. So you need to start off smaller, easier. You can:

-Play each hand seperately;

-Play slow enough for your brain to take each step in consideration;

-Play very small segments.

In the beggining of the learning process, the first two are necessary; but I would suggest relying only on the last point as soon as possible. Muscle memory IS NOT LEARNED AT A SLOW PACE, and is crucial for learning piano, especially later on. So, this means, you take a couple notes, short enough that you can visualize what you do before playing them (and thus don't make a mistake), worst case 3 consecutive notes and play them in a (controlled) loop. Do this until you start feeling that it's easy, and you don't have to think about your notes anymore. Then, take the last notes, and start the next loop off of that. Do this for the whole segment (or cut the segment in half if this process takes over 30 minutes.) Then, start joining pairs of segments, again, in a loop until it feels instinctive, then pairs of pairs of segments, etc...

Another thing: the first thing you need to do is establish a comfortable fingering that you will ALWAYS use, and write them down. Ideally (not always possible), place consecutive notes in such a way that you would naturally play a chord. This is important to do, because everyone has a different hand (can't always rely on what's on the score), and changing fingers repitition upon repitition makes muscle memory harder to acquire.

Feel free to ask any further questions - piano is one of my passions.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
palou said:
monocle_layton said:

I've started piano not too long ago. It's going fine, but I was wondering what I could do to consistently improve over the next few years. I'm not in any rush, so any feedback of any sort would be appreciated.

For reference, I am using a Yamaha 88 key keyboard that is weighted. As of now, i know the basics and can play simple/basic songs

I play quite a bit of classical piano, but I did it since a young age, and don't remember exactly how I came to know how to play, lol...

As for learning pieces/practicing hard segments: 

Playing something wrong over and over again is completely useless, in terms of improvement, and a great way to integrate permanent mistakes. So you need to start off smaller, easier. You can:

-Play each hand seperately;

-Play slow enough for your brain to take each step in consideration;

-Play very small segments.

In the beggining of the learning process, the first two are necessary; but I would suggest relying only on the last point as soon as possible. Muscle memory IS NOT LEARNED AT A SLOW PACE, and is crucial for learning piano, especially later on. So, this means, you take a couple notes, short enough that you can visualize what you do before playing them (and thus don't make a mistake), worst case 3 consecutive notes and play them in a (controlled) loop. Do this until you start feeling that it's easy, and you don't have to think about your notes anymore. Then, take the last notes, and start the next loop off of that. Do this for the whole segment (or cut the segment in half if this process takes over 30 minutes.) Then, start joining pairs of segments, again, in a loop until it feels instinctive, then pairs of pairs of segments, etc...

Another thing: the first thing you need to do is establish a comfortable fingering that you will ALWAYS use, and write them down. Ideally (not always possible), place consecutive notes in such a way that you would naturally play a chord. This is important to do, because everyone has a different hand (can't always rely on what's on the score), and changing fingers repitition upon repitition makes muscle memory harder to acquire.

Feel free to ask any further questions - piano is one of my passions.

Just bookmarked your response. I appreciate all the great tips