By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Switch Buyers Are Primarily Men In Their 20s/30s

Those damn casuals.. oh wait :/

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:

I was just speaking to my Dutch cousin who's in town visiting (I think he's like 24 or something) and he was super excited to see I had the Switch, but after talking learned he STILL had never heard that the "Wii U" was a thing after the Wii.

I can also say I've actually encountered a number of people around my age in 20's in 30's who bought it specifically for Zelda and really liked the console itself, whereas I virtually never met anyone that had a Wii U outside of the most committed "gamer" friends.

The personal experience of one person can't be said to represent everyone for sure, but in just under two months I've seen more enthusiasm and awareness of the Switch than I did over the past half decade for the Wii U.

That's been my experience as well, and a common theme from what I've heard. Of the people I know who have a Switch at work, only one of them besides me owned a Wii U. All of my Wii U buddies have already upgraded, minus one. 

Things are definitely looking brighter and Nintendo needs to capitalize and not waste too many resources on the 3DS. Dropping the price with the New 2ds will sell the system by itself. It'll be a good budget item for parents with younger kids.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Bu-b-b-but Nintendo is for kids :(

Soundwave said:

I think Switch by it's very design also appeals most to adults.

Think about it: if you're an adult but you've kinda grown away from gaming, it's probably largely because it's fucking hard to get gaming sessions in with all the responsibilities of an adult. Switch lets you get your core gaming fix your smartphone/tablet can't give you, without having to go back to the freaking PS2 era on 3DS, with games that still look decent on your HDTV set. 

That concept I would argue in actuality appeals most to adults. Kids don't give a crap about convenience as much because they have plenty of time and motivation to play games at all times. You'd need a fire hydrant spraying water to keep them from playing video games.

This is me! And im just a uni student xD 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Good. Hopefully they won't remove the boob slider this time, knowing their audience.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Older gamers, I'm talking actual older gamers, not 13-19 year old kids, are interested in a variety of games. Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, NBA2K, Street Fighter, Bomberman, Skyrim, FIFA, are all a yes.

They just don't want something that's marketed and looks like a toy. This is a big no-no. And yeah sure the odd FPS or racing sim doesn't hurt.

FallingTitan said:
yvanjean said:

Where did they get does stats?!? I bought a Nintendo Switch and I'm 35. Oh Wait!!!

Who care about kids and teens, 20s and 30s have much more buying power. Bring on Metroid, xenoblade 2 & Animal crossing.

not really. the kids get their parents who are 20-40's to buy them games/consoles and in much higher amount then a working professional who can't game 24/7.

I buy WAY more games now than I ever could have hoped to be bought for me as a kid. 20s-30's persons without kids are most definitely the biggest buyers of video games. All of my friends who now have kids buy a lot fewer games than they used to - even counting the ones they buy their kids.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

StuOhQ said:
FallingTitan said:

not really. the kids get their parents who are 20-40's to buy them games/consoles and in much higher amount then a working professional who can't game 24/7.

I buy WAY more games now than I ever could have hoped to be bought for me as a kid. 20s-30's persons without kids are most definitely the biggest buyers of video games. All of my friends who now have kids buy a lot fewer games than they used to - even counting the ones they buy their kids.

Yeah me too. I had to beg, beg, beg to get new games when I was a kid. Barely convinced my parents to get a Super NES because we already had an NES too. Had to basically wait until birthdays and Christmas time to get anything. Once I got my own job even in my late teens, I'd buy what ever game I wanted when ever I wanted it. 

The amount of games I had for N64 versus SNES doubled and it wasn't because I liked gaming more, it was because I could buy games for myself. Not only that I had a second console too (Playstation), which in my SNES days would've been unthinkable. I remember one kid on our street had a SNES and a Genesis and it was a big deal, lol. 

Very interesting, Switch is currently booth buy primarily men In Their 20s/30s, while 3DS is primarily booth buy kids and higher percent of female.
That's definitely effect buy currently price point of Switch and 3DS and currnet offer of their games, how times passes, with more diverse games, lower price, Switch will be bought more buy kids and female, and 3DS will ofcourse die.

He could snap that console in 2 with just his fingers. And then eat it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3