By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Muslims take on playing ancient mythology games?

Tagged games:

Kerotan said:

I'm aware that many Muslims have issues playing games with Christian or other modern day influences or actions. It can be a sensitive subject. Or even games that involve things their religion prohibits. Like drinking alcohol. 

So my question is. What do Muslims think of games that feature ancient Greek,  Egyptian,  norse gods etc. Are they comfortable getting into the world of rival gods or do they have a distaste. 

Genuinely curious. 

Hello Kerotan.

The main problem is "Time", I have been thought that I will be asked about the time I have spent in my life and what did I do with the life that I was given by God on judgement day.

How time is being managed?

There is a saying in my religion "Work for your worldly life as if you are living forever, and work for your Hereafter as if you are dying tomorrow".

Greek gods, alcohol, norse gods or rival gods has nothing to do with it, and it is not a sensitive issue at all, There is only one Creator.

Then comes other things including, but not limited to (nudity, cursing) which is a big problem.

That is all I can think of at the moment, and by the way I am a Sunni Muslim/console gamer.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
JRPGfan said:

Where did you get your information on the Qur'an and what it says? 

Qur'an does forbade all intoxicants (really this includes drugs as well) and very similar dietary constraints as Jews; including pork. Don't read in the the filthy terms as being infections. Those are all modern day attempts to reason why it is forbidden. The context has always (Jewish and Muslim) to be unclean religiously for some reason.

Here is a good set of quotes/translations and opinions on the context of intoxicants in the Qur'an if you are curious.
https://www.quora.com/What-verse-in-the-Quran-clearly-states-that-drinking-alcohol-is-strictly-forbidden

Did you not read the link you yourself qouted at me?

Chapter 5, Verse 90 “O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, stone alters, and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.”

"intoxicants are wine actually."  - qoute Dino Mustafić (muslim, with friends that are scholars in it)

That user, speaks the language and says, people saying "intoxicans" are mis-translateing it.

The actual word in the koran isnt "intoxicans" but "wine".

Thats what I mean. People are "reading" things into it, that arnt the words used in the koran.

But if you look though the koran you can find mentions of various alcohol, by name, saying they are sinfull.

However you wont find "mead" in there.

Where do I get this?

My father told me, he heard it from a muslim.

Found it funny, like a loop hole they have in there about it, and remembered it because of that.

He told me, and I remembered it for the same reason.

Supposedly mead, a alchole made from honey, is supposed to be okay to drink by muslims.

GUNNER7070 said:
Kerotan said:

I'm aware that many Muslims have issues playing games with Christian or other modern day influences or actions. It can be a sensitive subject. Or even games that involve things their religion prohibits. Like drinking alcohol. 

So my question is. What do Muslims think of games that feature ancient Greek,  Egyptian,  norse gods etc. Are they comfortable getting into the world of rival gods or do they have a distaste. 

Genuinely curious. 

Hello Kerotan.

The main problem is "Time", I have been thought that I will be asked about the time I have spent in my life and what did I do with the life that I was given by God on judgement day.

How time is being managed?

There is a saying in my religion "Work for your worldly life as if you are living forever, and work for your Hereafter as if you are dying tomorrow".

Greek gods, alcohol, norse gods or rival gods has nothing to do with it, and it is not a sensitive issue at all, There is only one Creator.

Then comes other things including, but not limited to (nudity, cursing) which is a big problem.

That is all I can think of at the moment, and by the way I am a Sunni Muslim/console gamer.

Thanks brother!  Love getting insights from actual Muslims who understand the issues first hand. 

I have a similar question for Jews and Christians and all those gods rivaling their own.

I'm Muslim and I banged every chick I can in the Witcher 3

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
bananaking21 said:

I made that mistake too :(

And banged all 3 witches :(

As a Muslim I had to put myself in Geralts shoes and do the right thing. Banging them was the right thing to do lol

JRPGfan said:
Kerotan said:

Like drinking alcohol. 

Its apparently not all types of alcohol.

The koran names the drinks of alcohol and what their made from, as being banned (its litteral for each exemption).

Alcohol made from such and such = banned.

But the prophet never "thought" of alcohol made from Honey.

Muslims are allowed to drink "mead" (like the old beer's vikings drank, made on honey), because its not named anywhere that they cant drink it.

Also alot of stuff dont make sense today in the Koran.

They are not allowed to eat "pig" because its filthy.

Back in old days, they had problems with parasites in pigs, so not eating pig could keep you from getting infected.

So the koran says dont eat pig (in the old days, to keep people free from parasites).

Today you can buy bacon in the super markets, and its without parasites, and there are no issues with eating it.

Muslims are missing out man, Bacon is amasing.

Well actually anything that intoxicates so much that you loose all senses is banned. So that's why tea and coffee are not there since not all that intoxicating. And pig along with others is basically a prohibition based on rules set for us. There is a saying that this world is like a prison for Muslims. They have a set of rules and they have to follow them. I have heard that donkey actually tastes better than most meats but we're not allowed that as well. Intoxication is prohibited so any drug that does this is out of the question its just alcohol is the most common thing that intoxicates you that much.

And regarding games nudity is an issue but I don't think gamer Muslims care but religious symbolism is no problem I have never heard of that being a problem at all

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
bananaking21 said:

I made that mistake too :(

And banged all 3 witches :(

lol. you think thats every chick you can bang in the witcher? 

I played Final Fantasy XI online, and Final Fantasy XIV online with people from Kuwait. Was in a LS (guild) with them.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
JRPGfan said:
superchunk said:

Where did you get your information on the Qur'an and what it says? 

Qur'an does forbade all intoxicants (really this includes drugs as well) and very similar dietary constraints as Jews; including pork. Don't read in the the filthy terms as being infections. Those are all modern day attempts to reason why it is forbidden. The context has always (Jewish and Muslim) to be unclean religiously for some reason.

Here is a good set of quotes/translations and opinions on the context of intoxicants in the Qur'an if you are curious.
https://www.quora.com/What-verse-in-the-Quran-clearly-states-that-drinking-alcohol-is-strictly-forbidden

Did you not read the link you yourself qouted at me?

Chapter 5, Verse 90 “O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, stone alters, and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.”

"intoxicants are wine actually."  - qoute Dino Mustafić (muslim, with friends that are scholars in it)

That user, speaks the language and says, people saying "intoxicans" are mis-translateing it.

The actual word in the koran isnt "intoxicans" but "wine".

Thats what I mean. People are "reading" things into it, that arnt the words used in the koran.

But if you look though the koran you can find mentions of various alcohol, by name, saying they are sinfull.

However you wont find "mead" in there.

Where do I get this?

My father told me, he heard it from a muslim.

Found it funny, like a loop hole they have in there about it, and remembered it because of that.

He told me, and I remembered it for the same reason.

Supposedly mead, a alchole made from honey, is supposed to be okay to drink by muslims.

Well than your father's Muslim friend doesn't understand the religion. It is all about equivalence if something like this is banned and that other thing has a similar effect so that must be banned as well. Its a form of jurisprudence in Islam whose name I cannot remember in Islam. Another example is that if you as a son can pay the debt of your father then you can can also perform hajj for him if he never got the chance. 

alkhamr
---------------Arabic - detectedAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZuluArabic - detected

Wine
---------------AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZuluEnglish

اسم
vintage
خمر, محصول, غلة الكرم, قطف العنب, موسم القطيف, عهد نشوء شيء
wine
نبيذ, خمر, عصير
booze
خمر, مرح صاخب, شراب مسكر
red
أحمر, اللون الأحمر, صبغ أحمر, خمر, السياسي الأحمر
port
ميناء, المنفذ, مرفأ, بوابة, باب, ميسرة يسار
inebriant
خمر, شراب مسكر
boose
شراب مسكر, مرح صاخب, خمر

All of these are translations these include booze which is also called sharab maskar aka intoxicants

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also