By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Cemu 1.7.5 Patreon released!, 4K 1.7.4 vs 1.7.5 Zelda BOTW comparison.

collint0101 said:
CladInShadows said:

You should be focusing your efforts on curbing piracy (illegal) not emulation (legal).

Well stopping the people that think it's ok to donate money to piracy tool would be the first step. That's basically like if a guy that jailbreaks iPhones set up a patreon. That's why I think publishers should start going after these people they're already going after the last gen versions of persona and​ Zelda how long will it be before these people start going after the switch or ps4 or xb1

You know, this is the ONLY emulator right now that actually attempts to make any money right?  And it barely runs anything. Every other one out there is free and most are open source.  I personally won't be spending a dime on CEMU, but if the guys want to take donations for their work, they're not actually breaking any laws by doing so. Look, I get that CEMU is the big new hot thing to talk about because it *gasp* runs Zelda at like 20 FPS or something (top end hardware required), and all the anti-piracy warriors feel the need to make themselves feel important, but you're kind of wasting your efforts on the small stuff.  Wii U emulation is much more prominent on actual modified Wii U consoles.  Why?  Because it only needs a 200 dollar console, not a top end expensive gaming PC.  And the games actually run (all of them), unlike about 98% of what you throw at CEMU.

And if you know anything about emulation (which it seems you don't), you'd know how ridiculous a statement it is to be worried about PS4 and XB1 emulation.  NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.  Not for 5-10 years.  BOTW is a Wii U game, a console that is on par with consoles that came out 11-12 years ago.

I've been using and following emulators since before you were born.  It hasn't killed the industry yet.  And it's not gonna start.  I'll just continue to play my legal games in high resolution while the rest of you try and save the world, one canceled emulator at a time.

collint0101 said:
CladInShadows said:

However big you think the number is, it's likely MUCH MUCH lower.  But whatever.  You people seem to have it in your head that all people emulating are a bunch of dirty pirates and nothing is going to change that.  It's getting tiresome.

It's just as tiring to see you people continue to be unwilling to admit that illegal emulation does have a negative impact on games. Try to downplay it all you want it doesn't make it right

There is no illegal emulation.  Only piracy.  And piracy exists on many consoles.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
collint0101 said:

With PC gaming becoming more popular the number of people out there with the necessary hardware are becoming more common

However big you think the number is, it's likely MUCH MUCH lower.  But whatever.  You people seem to have it in your head that all people emulating are a bunch of dirty pirates and nothing is going to change that.  It's getting tiresome.

There are actually some numbers out there

In the latest stable release of Dolphin, the development team added an opt-in statistics gathering dialogue that users encounter when they first run the emulator, asking to collect anonymous data. Obviously some users will decline, but Bourdon told me their numbers indicate around 50,000 daily users. For comparison, Nintendo sold around 20 million GameCubes and 100 million Wiis. If half of Dolphin's users opted in, that's still less than one percent of the console audience. http://www.pcgamer.com/the-ethics-of-emulation-how-creators-the-community-and-the-law-view-console-emulators/

50k or 100k daily users is still a significant amount for an average selling game. At what number does it become a problem?

There are easy things for cemu to do to show they care about piracy. For example, since they already have drm and register their users through patreon, they could release a tool to copy the original disc that digitally signs that copy with the patreon user ID and make it so the emulator only accepts signed isos. Works for their drm and adds a hurdle that encourages people to have the actual disc and do it the right way. (Ofcourse it will be hacked, yet you risk some nasty virus using hacks) People are far less likely to illegally share their game if their name is on it.

Directly running from disc is even better, but that seems to have performance issues in emulators. Digitally signing while installing the disc would be a great way to discourage piracy and distance emulators from being associated with piracy.

SvennoJ said:
CladInShadows said:

There are actually some numbers out there

In the latest stable release of Dolphin, the development team added an opt-in statistics gathering dialogue that users encounter when they first run the emulator, asking to collect anonymous data. Obviously some users will decline, but Bourdon told me their numbers indicate around 50,000 daily users. For comparison, Nintendo sold around 20 million GameCubes and 100 million Wiis. If half of Dolphin's users opted in, that's still less than one percent of the console audience. http://www.pcgamer.com/the-ethics-of-emulation-how-creators-the-community-and-the-law-view-console-emulators/

50k or 100k daily users is still a significant amount for an average selling game. At what number does it become a problem?

There are easy things for cemu to do to show they care about piracy. For example, since they already have drm and register their users through patreon, they could release a tool to copy the original disc that digitally signs that copy with the patreon user ID and make it so the emulator only accepts signed isos. Works for their drm and adds a hurdle that encourages people to have the actual disc and do it the right way. (Ofcourse it will be hacked, yet you risk some nasty virus using hacks) People are far less likely to illegally share their game if their name is on it.

Directly running from disc is even better, but that seems to have performance issues in emulators. Digitally signing while installing the disc would be a great way to discourage piracy and distance emulators from being associated with piracy.

I think that number is much higher than the number of people who aren't just curious about it and can actually run it.  Also, that's for an emulator for the Wii.  Which is based on the Gamecube, which is 16 years old. 

I'd be all about emulator developers being able to institute some kind of way to discourage piracy.  I just think that they'd need the cooperation from companies who are unlikely to be willing to work with them.  If they could do it on their own (and that goes for ANY emulator developer), I think it would be a great thing.  It would certainly be able to curb the "HURR DURR Emulation = piracy" folks.

collint0101 said:
Zkuq said:

Emulation requires way too much processing power to be viable for most people. It's not going to kill any game that was going to be even half-successful in the first place because not enough people can afford or are willing to spend enough to get a powerful enough PC. It would probably be sort of an achivement for even 100,000 people to emulate a single game, and that would certainly not hurt any decently successful games too much. Whatever piracy emulation is causing is probably not very much in the big picture.

With PC gaming becoming more popular the number of people out there with the necessary hardware are becoming more common

Considering the PC market has been on a declining trend in the recent years, I wouldn't expect PC gaming to be going anywhere very fast.