By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Call of Duty WW2 and Switch?

Pemalite said:
bonzobanana said:

That isn't fair or realistic though. Switch is really limited by its portable mode which is 150-200 gflops, the docked performance is really just used for an upscale or anti-aliasing or both. It doesn't reload new assets when you dock and undock it just switches between 2 output drivers.

Nope. Too soon to call that.

bonzobanana said:

The Switch has total memory bandwidth of 25.6GB/s and the ps4 176GB/s so 7x performance there

Nope.

bonzobanana said:

Switch is about 12,000 mips cpu compared to about 37,000 mips (after the OS has taken one cpu) plus their is CISC optimisations you can make on ps4 which probably makes it about 4x and of course  in graphic power about 10x going from 150-200gflops to 1750 gflops.

AMD and Intel CISC cpu's tend to work internally as RISC these days.

bonzobanana said:

Lastly mobile chipsets tend to underperform a bit because the chipsets are designed to conserve power and don't make use of as many support chips on the pcb so that probably drops it slightly again. Skyrim should be a good indicator of the  Switch performance level as that game has both high cpu and gpu demands so will give the system a good workout and makes comparisons with both last gen and current gen hardware easier. 

Skyrim can run on a toaster...

All the consoles have terrible CPU's.
The Switch's A53 cores are garbage. The A57 are semi-decent, but hampered by clockrate... But are 50% wider than Jaguar, however it's a core design that is starting to show it's age.

Jaguar though... AMD's CPU's were shit at that time. Jaguar was the worst AMD offered.

There is still a bit of a leap between Switch and the Playstation 4, but I wouldn't call it generationally different.
The Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox Scorpio, Playstation 4 pro are all faster than the base Playstation 4.... But generally it's thanks to the sheer number of Cores that allows these consoles to push past the Switch overall in the CPU department.

bonzobanana said:

If you look at the Nvidia Shield box which has twice the cpu power of Switch and 2.5x the gpu it struggles to run a lot of pc ports that well. They are at a limited performance level so you would expect Switch to perform well below those.

We need to keep in mind that there is an API difference. Most Switch titles should be using a low-level API, which does give it a slight edge in many aspects over the nVidia Shield. Is it enough to make up for the shit clock rates? Who knows. - We probably won't know untill a developer details information about it.

bonzobanana said:

Alternatively perhaps someone can explain how a game running at 384 gflops in docked mode can instantaneously drop to 150 gflops performance and continue at the same frame rate in portable mode while still utilising graphic assets and features designed to make good use of 384 gflops of performance.

That's easy. Because Gflops isn't the be-all, end-all to a systems performance. You need significantly more to render and output a game, so perhaps stop using it within the context you are using it?

I'll just say 'Nope' to all your comments seems easier really and leave others to look at the figures and judge themselves. 

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:

I'll just say 'Nope' to all your comments seems easier really and leave others to look at the figures and judge themselves. 

Well. Your "Figures" are correct. You are just missing some extra ones that are extremely relevant. - I was hoping you would figure it out for yourself though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

would be cool to see but they'd probably have to gimp it a bit and then honestly I highly doubt Sony/Micro would be happy about that. COD historically has been such a heavy third party franchise on those platforms so.... Frankly I doubt it will happen but maybe a late port is possible if the Switch sells awesomely and convinces Activision to bother