By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SJW: Most Abused Term Ever?

Jumpin said:
Aeolus451 said:

That's backwards. Alot of the left considers progressives SJWs for the most part because they're responsible for things like culture appropriation and that sort of shit made trump being electied possible. 

You haven't disagreed with me on a logical standpoint.  People who are against progress are, by definition, conservative. So whatever anti-progress "left" people you are talking about are conservatives. These are the chuckleheads I am talking about.

Isn't "progress" somewhat of a relative term though? There's nothing "progressive" about silencing free speech, shaming, bullying, and making everything about race/gender by compartmentalizing and marginalize everyone into these groups rather than individuals. This is what SJWs represent, at least in my experience. 

By the way I'm liberal and hate SJWs. Those people aren't true liberals to me, they're authoritarians. There's a difference. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

The thing with the term SJW is that it's an imaginary strawman that hates everything you like and is also wrong about everything.
It denotes that the speaker using the term is incapable of making an argument and has to rely on an imaginary person he cannot lose against.
It is often used when said speaker is slighted in his views, no matter how trivial the matter.

In conclusion, I wouldn't say it's abused; I would say it's meaningless.

Jumpin said:
Aeolus451 said:

Progressive does not equate to progress nor does it stand for it in actuality. That's just a political group trying to conflate their group with or use things that are good (progress or equality) as symbols that no one would disagree wtih unless they're a bad person to most people.

Also, anyone who disagrees with progressives doesn't mean that they are a conservative or make them one. 

So far, you have some weird definition of progress, and you have claimed it is the left that are going around calling everyone an SJW.

Just a guess, but you're conservative and American?

Progressive doesn't equate to progress because it's a changable politcial movement that's defined by the actions and words of the self-identifying progressives within. As I explained before, a lot of political groups like to use common sense things as symbols while doing things not going with the spirit of the symbol. Would you consider culture appropriation a progressive idea or a regressive idea? 

ahh. I claimed some the left has been calling out the sjws/progressives but that doesn't mean or make them conservative for doing it. They are still liberal or on the left if they disagree with the crazy faction. Look up Dave Rubin. 

I'm a right leaning libertarian btw and yes I live in the states. If you're gonna try to say that progressives and sjws are different in europe, I'm gonna laugh at you in your face. 

Tulipanzo said:
The thing with the term SJW is that it's an imaginary strawman that hates everything you like and is also wrong about everything.
It denotes that the speaker using the term is incapable of making an argument and has to rely on an imaginary person he cannot lose against.
It is often used when said speaker is slighted in his views, no matter how trivial the matter.

In conclusion, I wouldn't say it's abused; I would say it's meaningless.

No, it's not a strawman but rather a fair description of certain kinds of people. They're mainly progressives.

SJW are usually people who care about others but come off as very unlikeable as they are rather snobbish and elitist and so determined in their values they look upon with hate and disdain with those who dont share their values.

Meaning, by being a bunch of jerks they turn people away from usually righteous causes they fight for.

There are racists and sexists in the world but not everyone who does not agree with your extreme viewpoint on something is a racist and sexist.