By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Edition Metascore Prediction - 92 Meta and 92,32% GR

etking said:

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

Or maybe, just maybe, MK8 was already one of the best racing games in existence and got its score reduced by the lack of proper battle mode. And yes, battle mode is huge. We're talking COD's Domination huge.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

I have to admit i'm somewhat sceptical that what the Deluxe edition offers over the original is the difference between a game being ranked (at least on metacritic) in the 600s versus the 90s, but i seem to be the minority in thinking that :p

I think maybe a different perspective might help via four questions:

1. How could it be improved? (the main problem in the original that generally lost it 1/10 or 1/5 depending on the scale was fixed)
2. Are there better kart racers available?
3. Are there any technical problems?
4. Are there any kart racers even remotely close that are also portable?

The main thing reading the reviews is that, unlike the previous ones, reviewers are having trouble finding anything to criticize. At this point the only thing people seem to point to is the comparatively simple online multiplayer system, but even that saw some improvement from the original.

With all that in mind, it's not that hard to imagine it rose ~5 points on metacritic.

Off to a good start. I may end up not winning this prediction, but I'd gladly lose if it scored higher. With the extras added on it, I can't really see why it'd score lower.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

F.Scofield said:
etking said:
Switch reviews seem to be biased / influenced by free consoles and bribery.
BotW already did get inflated scores which in no way reflected the game's major flaws or player opinions.

And increasing the score of a 3 year old 88 Wii-U game to 93 for no reason points towards unfair and biased reviews. The new Battle mode alone, despite being the heart and soul of every Mario Kart game, cannot be the explanation.

LOL, someone please post the salt popsicle flavour gif.

It's alright, just let it go.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Now the question is, can it get higher score than Persona 5?

Around the Network
Kristof81 said:
Now the question is, can it get higher score than Persona 5?

No, it's already below it, it's only going down from here. It won't move far if it does at all though.

Edit: Correction they're currently both 94.

Johnw1104 said:
Zekkyou said:

I have to admit i'm somewhat sceptical that what the Deluxe edition offers over the original is the difference between a game being ranked (at least on metacritic) in the 600s versus the 90s, but i seem to be the minority in thinking that :p

1. How could it be improved? (the main problem in the original that generally lost it 1/10 or 1/5 depending on the scale was fixed)

The main thing reading the reviews is that, unlike the previous ones, reviewers are having trouble finding anything to criticize. At this point the only thing people seem to point to is the comparatively simple online multiplayer system, but even that saw some improvement from the original.

With all that in mind, it's not that hard to imagine it rose ~5 points on metacritic.

I never said it wasn't deserved, my interest in the Mario Kart series has always been somewhat limited so i can't comment on that front. I'm just somewhat surprised that all it takes to push a game from a unremarkable score (relative to metacritic's general curve) to the all-time top list is some linear improvements. I'm not aware of any other comparable upgrade resulting in such a dramatic change, which makes me think a lot of it is down to portability. That's perfectly fine in general, but it's going to make me more subjectively critical of the scores Switch's games in general get. Knowing that should help me keep my expectations in check.

BraLoD said:
Zekkyou said:

It's a similar case compared to P4 and P4G.
Golden scored better than P4 did (though P4 was already a 90) exactly because it came to the Vita, the very same game on PS3 wouldn't have score the 93 the Vita version did, as the original didn't on PS2.

I should have thought about it that way, instead of thinking the usual port factor would happen xP
P5 Platinum on Switch/PSP3 would score like Breath of the Wild XD

Jim (think was him) even openly docked points because it (P5) wasn't on the Vita!

Hmm.  You're right this handheld grace does explain a lot.  I always wondered why Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D managed to top the originals but this perspective really explai-

...oh.  Wait, that's right they both scored 4 points lower on 3DS.

Seems this whole handheld grace thing might just be a bit exaggerated or mostly imagined.  

Um verdadeiro #LUSHO! <3

Higher score than I predicted. Be it a new or remaster, Nintendo is doing amazing on Switch games.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Zekkyou said:
Johnw1104 said:

I never said it wasn't deserved, my interest in the Mario Kart series has always been somewhat limited so i can't comment on that front. I'm just somewhat surprised that all it takes to push a game from a unremarkable score (relative to metacritic's general curve) to the all-time top list is some linear improvements. I'm not aware of any other comparable upgrade resulting in such a dramatic change, which makes me think a lot of it is down to portability. That's perfectly fine in general, but it's going to make me more subjectively critical of the scores Switch's games in general get. Knowing that should help me keep my expectations in check.

I think the main difference is that, being part of a franchise, everyone expected to have the Battle feature that previous installments had, so it lost a lot of points there. Really, it was already an excellent game that should have scored higher than 88, but for whatever reason didn't just take the existing gameplay and engine and provide a few maps for people to fight one another on lol

As far as most remasters go, this one is rather unique... it had room for improvement and most others are rather linear and sport one style of gameplay.