By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think the 2D Mario team is workin on ?

I've been wondering this for quite some time: the 2D Mario team last worked on Mario Maker and now that we have that amazing tool it'd be too dull to simply make another 2D Mario just with slightly improved graphics so I started wondering: what if they worked on a new IP ? What if the team that made countless identical games finally had the opportunity to make something new ? what would they do ? what would you want them to work on ?

Around the Network

The 2D team is separate from the 3D team? I never actually knew that. Maybe they're doing Mario Maker for the Switch?

I was going to say Pikmin 4 but then I remember Miyamoto saying recently that they had to delay production of it to focus on higher priority projects. If that's the case, I'd say they're making another 2D Mario game that's different from the NSMB games along with a Mario Maker port. I think they got the message that while people still love 2D Mario, they're sick and tired of the NSMB formula that's been milked for a decade.

Mario Maker 2 for the switch

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'm fine with either Super Mario Maker 2 or a completely new 2d mario (new art style and engine).

If it's New Super Mario Bros Switch I'm going to hang my shelf.

Around the Network

Hopefully a fresh take on 2D Mario.

Barkley said:
I'm fine with either Super Mario Maker 2 or a completely new 2d mario (new art style and engine).

If it's New Super Mario Bros Switch I'm going to hang my shelf.

Home improvement isn't the answer! 

If I recall, Miyamoto said they will work on new kind od 2D Mario, so that means that NSMB is finally dead and that's great thing.

I do love the 2D Mario games, and they always sell so well, so I'd love a new take on 2D Mario that tries to be more adventurous than it's recent titles.

Miyamotoo said:
If I recall, Miyamoto said they will work on new kind od 2D Mario, so that means that NSMB is finally dead and that's great thing.

If you are refering to this , http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/06/e3_2016_new_kind_of_mario_game_is_coming_says_shigeru_miyamoto then I think he was talking about Super Mario Odyssey. 

I personally think they will combine NSMB with Mario Maker, and add things like multiplayer support to the Mario Maker side of things.