By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THE GAME COLLECTOR

Hi everyone, i need your help, i got the idea to buy old games from the nes, snes and playstation 1 era that are still factory sealed. I know that i couldn't buy all at once, we are talking about a lot of money. But i played the most time jrpg's so i know what games are special from that time that are a must have. I need hints from you about games from other genres, where you think they are special because there was only a limited edtion, or not much copies because it was a sleeper hit...thanks in advance for the help

Around the Network
ZODIARKrebirth said:

Hi everyone, i need your help, i got the idea to buy old games from the nes, snes and playstation 1 era that are still factory sealed. I know that i couldn't buy all at once, we are talking about a lot of money. But i played the most time jrpg's so i know what games are special from that time that are a must have. I need hints from you about games from other genres, where you think they are special because there was only a limited edtion, or not much copies because it was a sleeper hit...thanks in advance for the help

General tip since you want to go after factory sealed new copies. Sealed copies for old systems are very valuable and expensive and because of that there are a lot of fakes, especially for NES and SNES there are lots of reproduction fakes and for PS1 many of the sealed copies are actually re-sealed. Prepare to pay thousands of dollars for some games m8.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

ZODIARKrebirth said:

I have a rather expansive "collection" myself, though I avoid sealed as I only buy games I once enjoyed or know I will enjoy and plan to play them. That said, I do keep up to date with that general community, and if you're mostly looking for "rare" games as it appears you are I must inform you that, when sealed, they're exceptionally expensive at this point. Certain platforms, such as the NES and SNES, appear to be peaking in terms of cost, but that's only because they've already gotten so damn expensive that there's really very few people left willing to pay for them.

What you'll also find is that console gens always tend to see a spike in expense for collecting once they're around 15 years old, as the prices are generally substantially driven by people who owned some favorite console as a child and now are in their mid 20's with no family and expendable income. For that reason the N64 has seen the more popular and unique games climb in cost to acquire (even basic games that everyone had, such as Mario Kart or certain Mario Parties, can run up near the cost of a modern new release). Fortunately, the N64 library is rather limited so most games that are worth playing are affordable, with a few good ones (such as Conker's) running rather high but the rest being somewhat reasonable.

You really need to narrow your focus, though. So far I'd say that while it's more fun to collect for cartridge based consoles, you can get the best value from the PS1/2, primarily as they were so abundant and the games were akin to the Wii library (superior in quality to that shovelware but cost almost nothing to manufacture and so were pumped out en masse). You can get truly great Playstation games for next to nothing to this day, whereas just about all Nintendo consoles up until the Wii have become very expensive; the Gamecube, for instance, is that terrible perfect balance of being unpopular in its day but having a huge assortment of amazing games, and so it has become almost prohibitively expensive rather ahead of schedule.

Anyway, if you'd like to be more specific in your interests or goals I might be able to point you in the right direction; if you can't tell, I love talking about this sort of thing :)

WC4Life said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

General tip since you want to go after factory sealed new copies. Sealed copies for old systems are very valuable and expensive and because of that there are a lot of fakes, especially for NES and SNES there are lots of reproduction fakes and for PS1 many of the sealed copies are actually re-sealed. Prepare to pay thousands of dollars for some games m8.

thanks for the tip, can you hell me at what i must give attention do not buying a fake copy? is eBay a gold place for that?

Johnw1104 said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

I have a rather expansive "collection" myself, though I avoid sealed as I only buy games I once enjoyed or know I will enjoy and plan to play them. That said, I do keep up to date with that general community, and if you're mostly looking for "rare" games as it appears you are I must inform you that, when sealed, they're exceptionally expensive at this point. Certain platforms, such as the NES and SNES, appear to be peaking in terms of cost, but that's only because they've already gotten so damn expensive that there's really very few people left willing to pay for them.

What you'll also find is that console gens always tend to see a spike in expense for collecting once they're around 15 years old, as the prices are generally substantially driven by people who owned some favorite console as a child and now are in their mid 20's with no family and expendable income. For that reason the N64 has seen the more popular and unique games climb in cost to acquire (even basic games that everyone had, such as Mario Kart or certain Mario Parties, can run up near the cost of a modern new release). Fortunately, the N64 library is rather limited so most games that are worth playing are affordable, with a few good ones (such as Conker's) running rather high but the rest being somewhat reasonable.

You really need to narrow your focus, though. So far I'd say that while it's more fun to collect for cartridge based consoles, you can get the best value from the PS1/2, primarily as they were so abundant and the games were akin to the Wii library (superior in quality to that shovelware but cost almost nothing to manufacture and so were pumped out en masse). You can get truly great Playstation games for next to nothing to this day, whereas just about all Nintendo consoles up until the Wii have become very expensive; the Gamecube, for instance, is that terrible perfect balance of being unpopular in its day but having a huge assortment of amazing games, and so it has become almost prohibitively expensive rather ahead of schedule.

Anyway, if you'd like to be more specific in your interests or goals I might be able to point you in the right direction; if you can't tell, I love talking about this sort of thing :)

my intention is to purchase some rpg's i played myself that time. Like Zelda in NES, vor dragon quest( didn't play that because there wasn't a US Version), but would it be worth to get the japanese Version?

Around the Network
ZODIARKrebirth said:
Johnw1104 said:

my intention is to purchase some rpg's i played myself that time. Like Zelda in NES, vor dragon quest( didn't play that because there wasn't a US Version), but would it be worth to get the japanese Version?

If you don't mind japanese versions then it is almost always worth going with them. The collecting scene isn't as prevalent in Japan, so games that released in all regions are almost always cheapest from Japan.

What exactly is your goal by buying sealed old classics that will cost you hundreds and thousands of dollars (per game)? If you want to make a serious profit, you're 5-10 years too late.
I personally have zero use for sealed games, I am totally fine when I have a complete copy in very good condition, so I can actually look at the manual and play the original cd/cartridge.
I can understand the point of game preservation, but sealed collecting nowadays is mostly about buying them from resellers or other serious sealed collectors, neither of those groups will trash sealed games because they either value them for what they are or for their actual market value.
You should definitely register at some forum that specializes on sealed games such as sealedgameheaven. There's many fraudsters out there, especially on eBay and other big platforms.

I know it is not Ps one but I enjoyed collecting the PS2 shin megami tensei games because they offer also extra's like soundtracks.

Also the gamechasers is a show about some idiots chasing down games they also give hints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_etd-6Yxl0