By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So, I started my new job today

Dude, be a man!
You'll get into much better shape, and you'll learn about home repairs and stuff. This is good knowledge to have.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I worked Lawn & Garden at Lowes so I did a hell of a lot of loading. All I can say is make sure you have some pain medication because they will work your ass off in the spring and early summer. If you're working outside then it will be non-stop mulch and landscape stones, rain or shine. Get a good pair of gloves and a great pair of shoes.

Loading in the lumberyard is better in some ways because it's in the shade and less work but I hated when I had to fill in over there because contractors are usually assholes. Lawn & Garden is mostly rich women who want a perfect yard and they can be bitches but they're a lot easier to butter up.

Lol, I worked lawn and garden at Walmart and I swear a lot of the older ladies tipped me even for doing easy stuff (Like loading a bag of mulch in their car). We weren't supposed to accept tips but I did anyway.

NobleTeam360 said:
pokoko said:
I worked Lawn & Garden at Lowes so I did a hell of a lot of loading. All I can say is make sure you have some pain medication because they will work your ass off in the spring and early summer. If you're working outside then it will be non-stop mulch and landscape stones, rain or shine. Get a good pair of gloves and a great pair of shoes.

Loading in the lumberyard is better in some ways because it's in the shade and less work but I hated when I had to fill in over there because contractors are usually assholes. Lawn & Garden is mostly rich women who want a perfect yard and they can be bitches but they're a lot easier to butter up.

Lol, I worked lawn and garden at Walmart and I swear a lot of the older ladies tipped me even for doing easy stuff (Like loading a bag of mulch in their car). We weren't supposed to accept tips but I did anyway.

Well, when they pay their employees shit wages I don't know what they expect.

VGPolyglot said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Well, when they pay their employees shit wages I don't know what they expect.

Exactly xD

NobleTeam360 said:
pokoko said:

I always refused first but then they'd usually stuff it in my pocket or then I'd take it if they insisted.  I wanted to have that excuse ready if anyone said anything (though most managers wouldn't care).  The funny thing is, the people who have you load the big stuff are usually the ones who never tip or even say 'thanks'.  That's why L&G > the lumberyard.  You can load a dozen sheets of plywood for someone and they're standing there tapping their foot, then they hop into their truck when you're done without even making eye contact.

Personally, I loved working in L&G and the customers were usually in a better mood than those on the inside.  The only BIG negative was that Lowes was so damned concerned about having too many people working when it was slow that it was always understaffed when it was busy, which makes both customers and staff disgruntled.  

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

What do you load, and what type of equipment do you use?

I'm not really sure. I have training next week. However, I have to work this Saturday, so I'm not sure how I'm working before getting trained, but I guess I am.

I must have missed this post before.

If you're a seasonal employee (temp) then you probably won't have to use any equipment.  You have to get trained and certified for each type and they don't usually bother unless someone is going to stay on.  Full time employees will use the forklifts to load.  

Training is mostly safety stuff.  Blocking off aisles when someone is using a forklift, walking ahead of a machine to keep customers from getting squished (seriously they WILL walk RIGHT OUT IN FRONT of a loaded forklift)--stuff like that.  

At our store, Loaders went where they were needed.  You might get called to help out at the lumberyard, then called up front to load some home interior stuff, then called out to L&G to help hand-load 200 landscaping stones into someone's pickup truck.  Between that, managers might have you help out associates by stacking inventory or something.  Prepare to sweat.

LOL I've only gone to work for two days and they've already cancelled one of my shifts! I guess I'm not working this Saturday after all!