By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official NHL Thread - NHL Season underway!

How well will Vegas do?

President's Trophy 1 5.00%

First in conference 1 5.00%

First in division 0 0%

2-3 in division 4 20.00%

Wild card 7 35.00%

Outside of playoffs 5 25.00%

Worst in division 1 5.00%

Worst in conference 1 5.00%

Worst in league 0 0%

Total:20

I'm considering this thread abandoned as of now, a mod can lock it if he sees this post.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

I'm considering this thread abandoned as of now, a mod can lock it if he sees this post.

Mind if I continue the thread in that case?

Also really sucks the flames have fell apart. But having a top six crippled with injuries, a goaltender brought back too early, a defense which has given up, and depth thats showing just how crap it really is will do you wonders. Won't be surprising to see the flames lose every game for the remainder of the season as Gaudreau is also out of the lineup. I guess Garth Snow won't just have the Chiarelli well to take from after all...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Also really sucks the flames have fell apart. But having a top six crippled with injuries, a goaltender brought back too early, a defense which has given up, and depth thats showing just how crap it really is will do you wonders. Won't be surprising to see the flames lose every game for the remainder of the season as Gaudreau is also out of the lineup. I guess Garth Snow won't just have the Chiarelli well to take from after all...

Could be worse. I'm a Canucks fan, and we're in the fucking dark ages.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
barneystinson69 said:

Could be worse. I'm a Canucks fan, and we're in the fucking dark ages.

Well its not as if we've had any luck. I'm not really a statistics guy, but from what I've heard, we should be a far better team than we are this year. A 7.9% shooting % and falling fast really killed them though, and our special teams have been godawful. Smith being out for a month didn't help either (and his collapse since his return), and ultimately everything came together into a perfect storm of bad luck. But I feel there is a lot of upside next year for the flames which is good. Honestly don't know if GG should take the fall, as he does run good systems, but has also made some god awful lineup decisions and can't seem to inspire the players or calm them down during adversity. Cameron has to go for sure though (27th in the league PP and only one goal in the last month?!).

The canucks do have a lot of future prospects, but they are pretty fucked for the immediate future.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Sure, you can ask an admin to transfer the thread OP over to you.

Around the Network

I saw a stat on Reddit saying this is the first time both Montreal and Detroit missed the playoffs since the Red Wings formed in 1926.

HomokHarcos said:
I saw a stat on Reddit saying this is the first time both Montreal and Detroit missed the playoffs since the Red Wings formed in 1926.

That's an interesting one. I'm quite sure the Red Wings have the record for most consecutive playoff appearances in modern pro sports history, and Montreal is usually solid solid, but still, that's a ways back.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
HomokHarcos said:

That's an interesting one. I'm quite sure the Red Wings have the record for most consecutive playoff appearances in modern pro sports history, and Montreal is usually solid solid, but still, that's a ways back.

What counts as modern pro sports history?

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

Well, it's a fairly loosely defined term to be sure. One that I cannot peg off the top of my head without using the google machine. For the NHL, I'd say around the time the league expanded to 21 teams, or a few years prior to that. Soooo, mid to late 70's? Certainly, making the playoffs when the league was a 6 team operation, should be treated differently than when it was at 21, 24, ect. 

COKTOE said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, it's a fairly loosely defined term to be sure. One that I cannot peg off the top of my head without using the google machine. For the NHL, I'd say around the time the league expanded to 21 teams, or a few years prior to that. Soooo, mid to late 70's? Certainly, making the playoffs when the league was a 6 team operation, should be treated differently than when it was at 21, 24, ect. 

A higher percentage of teams made the playoffs during the 21 team era (76%) than during the Original Six era (66%)