By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official NHL Thread - NHL Season underway!

How well will Vegas do?

President's Trophy 1 5.00%

First in conference 1 5.00%

First in division 0 0%

2-3 in division 4 20.00%

Wild card 7 35.00%

Outside of playoffs 5 25.00%

Worst in division 1 5.00%

Worst in conference 1 5.00%

Worst in league 0 0%

Total:20
COKTOE said:
p0isonparadise said:
Canadian teams would win every year if our players weren't playing for American teams, lol.

That's what international tournaments are for. The rest of the world has caught up to a large degree, and that's nothing new. Remember Nagano?...You're 26. Maybe not. The Americans won the 96 world cup. There are other examples. More recent. We're still the best, but it's not like it was 30 years ago.

I remember Torino, truly horrific.

Around the Network
p0isonparadise said:
COKTOE said:

That's what international tournaments are for. The rest of the world has caught up to a large degree, and that's nothing new. Remember Nagano?...You're 26. Maybe not. The Americans won the 96 world cup. There are other examples. More recent. We're still the best, but it's not like it was 30 years ago.

Cheering for my national hockey teams, and Canadian UFC fighters, is about as passionately nationalistic as I get. I do get into it for sure. But really, I'm pretty easy, because I just like the competition. My favorite player of all time is Russian. Pavel Bure. I had friend who, and i kid you not, threw his living room furniture onto his front lawn when we lost the 96' World Cup to the U.S. He's mellowed out since then. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
p0isonparadise said:
Canadian teams would win every year if our players weren't playing for American teams, lol.

If the Nagano team had Mario Lemieux (or even Messier), I think they would've won, but that was fun, I remember watching the game's at like 2 AM at a 24 hour pool hall with buddies just getting loaded on beers before. 

COKTOE said:
p0isonparadise said:

Cheering for my national hockey teams, and Canadian UFC fighters, is about as passionately nationalistic as I get. I do get into it for sure. But really, I'm pretty easy, because I just like the competition. My favorite player of all time is Russian. Pavel Bure. I had friend who, and i kid you not, threw his living room furniture onto his front lawn when we lost the 96' World Cup to the U.S. He's mellowed out since then. :)

I was born in the United States, and have dual citizenship, so I've never really been nationalistic, and during the Olympics I usally just root for the underdog.

VGPolyglot said:
COKTOE said:

I was born in the United States, and have dual citizenship, so I've never really been nationalistic, and during the Olympics I usally just root for the underdog.

I have tendancy to root for the underdog too. Teams on the periphery, that are good, but not great, that make moves, are always fun to cheer for.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
COKTOE said:

If the Nagano team had Mario Lemieux (or even Messier), I think they would've won, but that was fun, I remember watching the game's at like 2 AM at a 24 hour pool hall with buddies just getting loaded on beers before. 

Those guys might have made the difference, especially a still prime Mario. Messier was, with all respect, kinda done though.

There are 5 games on tomorrow!:

Rangers @ Canadiens (7PM EDT)
Bruins @ Senators (7PM EDT)
Blue Jackets @ Penguins (7:30PM EDT)
Blues @ Wild (9:30PM EDT)
Sharks @ Oilers (10PM EDT)

jason1637 said:
Go Rangers.

Go Habs! :D

CHI v NSH - Chicago in 6
MIN v STL - Minnesota in 7
ANA v CGY - Anaheim in 6