By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gamestop - New sales overtaking Used, Nintendo top vendor

The uidustry is growing really well, usualy used sales outnumber new sales and used sales are where the money is, gamers are spending more on new it seems.

link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18119

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

How can new sales be lower than used sales?

The only way this could happen is if people bought new games from other places than gamestop but always traded them into GS.... but then surely they would be trading for new games?

I didn't word it brilliantly, new sales are higher than used. Its my poor sentence structure.

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Well, that might have something do with the fact that the wii is the fastest growing console pure numbers wise yet the used wii games i see in gamestop are like... 1/4th to 1/8th of what i see for 360 and PS3.

I wonder if VGChartz records used game sales? or is it only new sales?

Around the Network

Oh I see, so profit used to be higher for used games and now it isn't

Here in UK most of the Wii's used games are only £5 cheaper than buying them new (or if you change between shops you can easily find used versions more expensive than new)

@Rock_on, no because that would be silly, every used game sale was at one point a new game sale, so it has already been counted.

TWRoO said:
Oh I see, so profit used to be higher for used games and now it isn't

Here in UK most of the Wii's used games are only £5 cheaper than buying them new (or if you change between shops you can easily find used versions more expensive than new)

@Rock_on, no because that would be silly, every used game sale was at one point a new game sale, so it has already been counted.

But a game can be sold used several times, while it can only be sold new once ;)

Btw, this thread has been done:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=22620&start=0

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I did not know this thread had been done. My apolgies for creating a duplicate thread.

It is most likely GS's fault, most of their used games cost only 5 dollars less than new, I am always going to pay the extra 5 dollars and get it new.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

bigjon said:
It is most likely GS's fault, most of their used games cost only 5 dollars less than new, I am always going to pay the extra 5 dollars and get it new.

+1

My eyes just roll over those games, I'll usually never buy a used game for more then $39.99 ($49.99 if I really want it!!)

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)