By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch costs ~$257 to build and 30MM sold through 2018

aikohualda said:
retailers selling it for free confirmed! :P

$257 including the production cost?

shipment is also expensive...

they expect to sell 30 million by 2018? damn if they pull it... that is very good.... pokemon stars confirmed exclusive to switch :P

I'd bet Nintendo is only making $10~$5 per unit based on this figure. 

Around the Network

30 million by the end of 2018 would be faster than PS4 which passed 30 million in November 2015 or 2 full years after launch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

TorterraBoy said:
makin that $43 dollar profit, I think it can make more than 30 million by 2018's end if nintendo stocmks the damn system

Are you for real?? So the retailer gets $0.00. The cost of logistics is $0.00. They pay $0.00 export/import tax, etc., etc.,

You live in a strange world, maybe the Mushroom Kingdom.

OT: I really expected it to be cheaper than that. They offer it at a reasonable price i think.

If they make any money from hardware sales at this moment I would be very surprise. I doubt they care about that right now anyway.

All these sites like the one where I first read this article all omit additional costs, as if they don't exist. It's fake news. It's click bait headlines.

The WiiU was "buy a WiiU and one game to make profit" according to Reggie.. or something like that.

One thing I learnt is that "not selling at a loss" doesn't necessarily translate to "selling at a profit".

If they do make profit it must be very tiny, but a profit is a profit.

wombat123 said:

So after retailer cut, shipping and other stuff they're probably close to breaking even at $300. I guess that should dash away the hopes of people waiting on a 3DS-level price cut by the holidays because I don't see Nintendo selling the Switch at a loss unless it's floundering big time.

if this figure is true, wich I have my doubts about since Nintendo said they are making profit on the system, it certainly explains why 12switch wasn't a pack-in.

SuperNova said:
wombat123 said:

So after retailer cut, shipping and other stuff they're probably close to breaking even at $300. I guess that should dash away the hopes of people waiting on a 3DS-level price cut by the holidays because I don't see Nintendo selling the Switch at a loss unless it's floundering big time.

if this figure is true, wich I have my doubts about since Nintendo said they are making profit on the system, it certainly explains why 12switch wasn't a pack-in.

Is there a source for this? I can't find where Nintendo directly confirmed that.

Well eitherway, yeah probably no price cut this year, but bundles are still very much likely to happen this holiday.

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
wombat123 said:

Very true, still I find it hard to believe they put damn near as much into 1-2switch as they did BOTW which is only $10 more with a 6 year development cycle..

Although I haven't played it 1-2 switch shouldn't be more than $30 retail and if they really wanted to showcase the system they should have sold it at $20. That of course would conflict with their software value philosophy .

So...How much of that goes into making it a hybrid? Either the dock, removable controllers, grips, ect. Or screen, battery, ect. Depending on how you look at it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

i remember shortly after the PS4 first launched, people tore that down to find the production cost. it turned out they only made $22 in profit from each console sold.

but now for my actual thoughts on this. i really do think, even more so than before, that they should have sold it at a loss and priced it at $249.99. they would have only lost $7 per unit, and the competitive price tag would have drawn in even bigger crowds than it already has, meaning they would profit a ton from software sales. or even go a step further and bundle a game with each unit priced at $299.99 to make it more competitive.

Normchacho said:
So...How much of that goes into making it a hybrid? Either the dock, removable controllers, grips, ect. Or screen, battery, ect. Depending on how you look at it.

Im actually pretty sure making it a hybrid was the easy part. 

The dock - its a huge chunk of plastic with a few inputs. pocket change to make those.

removable controllers - just a fancy plastic design, not really more expensive that having a stand alone controller, which are already dirt cheap to produce. they may change $60 for a new Xbox xontroller but truth is they manufacture those for like $10.

grips - basically just plastic with a wrist strap. not very expensive.

screen - probably the biggest culprit actually. think of every screen as a TV. with that in mind, they basically strapped a mini HDTV to a home console. 

spurgeonryan said:
Good, because on Amazon it is 399 .

It's been sold out on Amazon since Firday, you're seeing third party offers.