By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Atlus Threatens To Go After People Who Stream Too Far Into Persona 5

Nautilus said:
I can understand where this sentiment comes from.You create a story-heavy game, in which you put alot of hard work and passion in, just for people to spoil itself in the streams before playing the game and experiencing the game as it should.It must be frustrating for the developer.

Having said that, this is far too extreme.I understand blocking the stream option on PS4, but going after them on youtube?Thats just too much.

No. That agurment makes no sense. A person who is watching a stream. Doesn't have a gun to their head. That's forcing them to watch. That's like saying I have no choice in finding what was GTA 5 was about. I waited till the PC port was release. And I avoided ALL information about the game, for 2 years. Besides that it had 3 people you played as. If I can do that with GTA. Anyone can do that, with any game.

deskpro2k3 said:
BraLoD said:

Reviews give a lot of spoiler, about everything, the characters, the story, how the game works, some have lots of images and talk about secrets.

A movie is a completely different subject, though, a movie is made to people watch, it hurts it's directly hurts it basic purpose.
A video game is made to people play, watching it doesn't hurt it basic purpose, to be played, and thus is a non-issue.

I'm going to have to disagree with that because just like movies, there are games out there that is heavy on story, your overall experience diminishes if you know all the plot twist, secrets and ending beforehand.

No. You are wrong. Not everyone thinks that way. I decide if I want to spoil information about a movie/game etc. or not. Example: I still haven't watch Star Wars 7. I'm waiting for all 3 films to be complete. Then buy the boxset. Guess what: I decided I didn't care if I read some spoilers. I know Han dies, and why. Still buying the movies, once all 3 are done.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
Nautilus said:
I can understand where this sentiment comes from.You create a story-heavy game, in which you put alot of hard work and passion in, just for people to spoil itself in the streams before playing the game and experiencing the game as it should.It must be frustrating for the developer.

Having said that, this is far too extreme.I understand blocking the stream option on PS4, but going after them on youtube?Thats just too much.

No. That agurment makes no sense. A person who is watching a stream. Doesn't have a gun to their head. That's forcing them to watch. That's like saying I have no choice in finding what was GTA 5 was about. I waited till the PC port was release. And I avoided ALL information about the game, for 2 years. Besides that it had 3 people you played as. If I can do that with GTA. Anyone can do that, with any game.

What are you disagreeing with me about?I just said that this measure is too extreme.

What I said is that I UNDERSTAND where they are comming from.I understand what the developers are feeling.They want you to experience the game as it should be, not treat it "as a movie".They poured they soul and years of work in this, after all.But this is still a choice that people can make, and trying to scare off streamers just wont work.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

And here I thought Atlus cared about the GAMER.

But seriously, I don't really care what they want to do with this, since it's their IP and not mine. Wish these companies would focus more on game piracy than streams though.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Nautilus said:
archer9234 said:

What are you disagreeing with me about?I just said that this measure is too extreme.

What I said is that I UNDERSTAND where they are comming from.I understand what the developers are feeling.They want you to experience the game as it should be, not treat it "as a movie".They poured they soul and years of work in this, after all.But this is still a choice that people can make, and trying to scare off streamers just wont work.

Atlus' argument still makes no sense. That's what I'm arguing about. People have choices. Just because atlus gets butt hurt, that someone wants to know the answer. Doesn't make it acceptable, to be an ass to people. And abuse the content ID system, on youtube.

That sounds crazy.... common atlus, this is just gonna give you a PR backlash.

Around the Network

You know there should be a ton more focus being put onto online cheating/hacks, than streaming. The real problem is in the multiplayer investments, not the frail folk who lose their minds upon knowing something they were always going to end up figuring out one day.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Hiku said:

By whatever name you want to call it, that doesn't mean that Atlus would have any less right than Marvel to not have someone showcase the entire story they wrote on youtube or Twitch.

Although it doesn't seem like that's what this is about per say. It doesn't seem to be about monetization, but about preventing spoilers to be spread to a degree.

I can understand them not wanting youtube videos with blatant spoilers in the title. But just streaming it into a VOD (with an apprpriate title) seems fine to me. If you go to a P5 stream, you should expect spoilers.

Perhaps they will lift this restriction after a certain amount of time has passed?

And that's comparing Marvel to a video game company, again video games are not movies or comic books either. Mixing both of them into a Gray area is absically trying to make the area not apepar grey, but appear more within the rights of one side than the other.

The main thing is that people should be going out and playing the games, not searching youtube all the time for anything related to P5, trailer and all, they should be playing the game from start to end. I don't think it's entirely fair to adhere to the spoiler free crowd than it is for everyone else. When these types of topics come up, it's always those that greatly dislike spoilers and they want the job of ignoring them done for them, rather than doing what anyone else could have done for countless centuries and just simply turn the other way or even place more barriers of their own, rather than having the barriers put up against everyone instead. We've already had a thread that showcases an addon for multiple browsers for those who wish to block out spoilers, that solution alone benefits the one not wanting to see any spoilers, all without trying to block it for everyone else. 

If they lift the restriction after a few months, then what's to stop all the others from pulling the same stunt, so then in the end if does come full circle to what I was just talking about. That one small group (small enough to not see see public outrage about it 24/7) that wants everything blocked for their own sake while thinking everyone on the planet wants what they want. 

I love how Youtube is going about blocking videos for people of certain ages, like a parental restrction system, that system goes into the hands of those who wish to use it, rather than YT enforcing it over absolutely anyone. It's better for the spoiler free people to have the option to block said spoilers than it is to let them have control over what anyone else could watch. The last thing the itnernet needs is a small group controlling it. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VGPolyglot said:
Yeah, like they'll be able to enforce that!

then test them, u dummy.

quezkatolen said:
VGPolyglot said:
Yeah, like they'll be able to enforce that!

then test them, u dummy.

I can't, I don't have the game.

archer9234 said:

deskpro2k3 said:

I'm going to have to disagree with that because just like movies, there are games out there that is heavy on story, your overall experience diminishes if you know all the plot twist, secrets and ending beforehand.

No. You are wrong. Not everyone thinks that way. I decide if I want to spoil information about a movie/game etc. or not. Example: I still haven't watch Star Wars 7. I'm waiting for all 3 films to be complete. Then buy the boxset. Guess what: I decided I didn't care if I read some spoilers. I know Han dies, and why. Still buying the movies, once all 3 are done.

Congratulations, I guess.

Seriously though, I never said everyone thinks that way. I said your overall experience diminishes if you know all the spoilers. To say that is not true is a lie. I do not believe you..

If i knew Han Solo was going to die before I watch the movie I won't be shocked and surprised when it happens no matter how many times I rewatch it.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5