By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another TV thread, questions inside

Hey all, as most of you know, i have a wii, so thats my main concern regarding which model of tvs to buy.. what i'm currently considering is a 45-50" Plasma 720 or 1080p tv that [despite obviously being over the wiis ideal resolution, yet] would be the best model to get for best results

for the time being, assume money is no object, i'd just like to get a few ideas for some models to look into purchasing

any input would be appreciated, thanks

PS. this is in Nintendo forum, because its related to wiis output..

Around the Network

I'd rank LCD manufacturers in this order:

Sony
Samsung
Sharp

Though be warned, the Sony's come with a nice premium.

Plasmas:

Pioneer
Panasonic
Samsung

However, the Samsungs tend to be a bit better at displaying SD material than the Pioneers and Pannies.

LCD:

Pros:
No image retention
Low power usage

Cons:
Jaggiez on 480p material
Not very deep blacks

Plasma:

Pros:
Excellent contrast, very deep blacks
No jaggies on 480p material

Cons:
Possibility of image retention (isn't permanent)
High power usage

In the end, assuming money is no object, I'd recommend a Sony XBR4 (LCD) or a Samsung FP-T5 (plasma).  Maybe a Pioneer Kuro. The Kuros are the best for HD material, but I've heard (very minor) complaints about their SD output.

We have an XBR4, and I couldn't be happier with it. :) 

I would stay away from plasma as it is more like you will get a burn in.

As for resolution with the wii

480 tv looks great
720 tv looks pretty good
1080 tv looks alright
2160 tv crap

Also the bigger your tv the worse it looks, well given the distance away you are.

Example if your going to be a foot away get a 25 inch.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Since I wanted the best Wii/DVD image possible, I bought a 32'' CRT with component inputs which can display 480p natively. It also supports HD resolutions, and it has HDMI input too so I'm hoping the image is also good with the 360 I just bought (didn't receive it yet). It was much cheaper than all comparable LCDs/Plasmas, at just around 600 €.

The thing is, it doesn't seem like there are many HD CRTs being manufactured these days, even though many people say they have better image than LCDs / Plasmas. In Sweden at least, I can't find the model I bought in stores anymore. I guess most customers prefer the thinness and light weight of flat panels, and companies probably make more profit on those too, which would explain that.

If you can find a good HD CRT, I'd go with that. If the disadvantages of CRTs (weight and size IMO) are too much for you, then I can't help you much as I didn't heavily research other types of TVs.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

IMO, I don't think it is smart to base your tv buying decisions around the fact that you own a wii.

Correct me if I am wrong but, you can either buy a good tv, or you can buy one where the wii looks good on it.

Remember now people it is now 2008. High definition does exist, and you can close yourself in dark room for only so long before you realize that.

If you buy a tv with your main concern being the fact that you own a wii, then by all means throw your money out the window and go with a 720p. You will probably be able to get a discount one somewhere. But before you know it you will be dead , and you will have lived your entire life without enjoying the best of technology at any certain point in your life.
Sure I understand that any tv will be outdated within a certain amount of time, but what does it really say about yourself if you are willing to settle for a tv that was first introduced 3 or 4 years ago.

I mean dear lord people what type of person do you have to be to willingly and knowingly buy a television for a wii? I would guess that you would have to be a democrat who drives a kia. Now there is a chance that your wife/girlfriend.. (if you have one) is good looking. But if you are going to settle on a tv, then I am willing to bet that you would settle on a woman too.

I am not attacking the OP here, just speaking my mind on people that may or may not have the same standard of logic as the OP'er.

Do yourself, technology, the economy, this forum, and the world a favor and buy a television for what it is.... a television. Buy the best, or close to it. Buy a 1080 i/p Samsung or Sony. Size is up to you, as long as it is filled with quality.

I suppose a 26" Samsung 1080i would do the trick for you and your wii.

FYI, this post is aimed largely at being comical, but I personally do attend to agree with what I wrote.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Around the Network

thanks for the extensive list of rankings and pros/cons makingmusic476, i'm probably leaning more towards plasmas considering what you've said.. i've checked out the three you specified, and all look fairly good, and will definitely all be a part of my 'list' of tvs to consider when i come to making a decision sooner or later

kenzomatic, thanks for that, i might look out for 720p in that case (but i'm still quite open to taking ideas for 1080p nonetheless)

thanks NJ5, although i probably am not looking too much into the CRT models atm, mostly because we were looking for a bigger tv which as far as i know come with better quality with plasmas, and also the thin aspect, which was a point you mentioned, is more ideal for me, despite not being a huge difference, but because we haven't got very far to go back, we usually are about 2.5m away from the tv, it might be just that little bit further if its a thin tv

and the distance actually brings up another point, what do you guys reckon is an ideal screen size (or model) for that distance (2.5m) from the screen

@ultraslick, i didn't say that i was buying my tv for the wii, i was saying that i was concerned with which is the best tv, while also giving a plausible output for the wii.. if i were buying a tv just for my wii, i'd stick with my current tv as i'm content with it.. what i'm doing here is to kill (or maybe just attack) 2 birds with one stone, in that i want a good tv size and quality while also being the best model of that size/quality to stop/have less jaggies and the works on the wii.. i definitely get what you are saying and for the most part agree with what you are saying, but you have mistaken the circumstances of my question, which admittedly i didn't really word too well

How are tv's measured in australia? (inch, cm)

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

they are measured in either, but most commonly in inches (pretty weird since pretty much everything else is metric, rather than imperial, here)

Well here are some links I don't know how helpfull they are but from what I read I sounds like between 40 and 45 inch would be best.

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/Tv-viewing-distance.html

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

Just remember that the minimum distance is important, and these are recommendations so that you don't miss one pixel.

ioi + 1

thanks for that, might look into around 42" then