By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Me and my upgrades are at it again... Help!

Burning Typhoon said:
JEMC said:

It was an example of an active adapter, it doesn't need to be this one.

Of course not.  And thanks.  I ended up going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4k-DisplayPort-Cable-1-3-Professional/dp/B01M1LERDU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490464288&sr=1-1&keywords=Fusion4k+DisplayPort+Cable+1.3+-+Professional+Series+Ultra+HD+%2810+Feet%29

@Qwark,  It's okay.  I was kinda wanting an ultra wide anyway, and I kinda feel like I got one.  Without those extra pixels, there wouldn't be any black bar, there would just be "no tv taking up that space."  I'll take the black bars, because when I switch back to my PC monitor, I get more screen space, and I do get to use it for something.  More is better.

Watch out!

That's a DisplayPort cable, not an adapter from DP to HDMI.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I hope you didn't buy a DisplayPort cable... :o

I don't know about dp to hdmi, but gtx 970 and up supports hdmi 2.0. Get this one a premium hdmi cable which does 18gbit/s. And you can do 4k 60 hz 4:4:4 chroma hdr at 8 bit.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

JEMC said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Of course not.  And thanks.  I ended up going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion4k-DisplayPort-Cable-1-3-Professional/dp/B01M1LERDU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490464288&sr=1-1&keywords=Fusion4k+DisplayPort+Cable+1.3+-+Professional+Series+Ultra+HD+%2810+Feet%29

@Qwark,  It's okay.  I was kinda wanting an ultra wide anyway, and I kinda feel like I got one.  Without those extra pixels, there wouldn't be any black bar, there would just be "no tv taking up that space."  I'll take the black bars, because when I switch back to my PC monitor, I get more screen space, and I do get to use it for something.  More is better.

Watch out!

..... now why did I think there was HDMI 2.0 on the other end?... -_-  The cable will be here tomorrow, so it's too late.  I just have to get another.

Burning Typhoon said:
JEMC said:

Watch out!

..... now why did I think there was HDMI 2.0 on the other end?... -_-  The cable will be here tomorrow, so it's too late.  I just have to get another.

Sorry

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

You don't need to buy an adapter to get 4K @ 60 Hz.

Simply connect your R9 390X from its HDMI slot to your port 1 HDMI slot of the TV via an HDMI 2.0 cable that is preferably less than 3 meters.

Anything extra would be a waste.

Edit: Nevermind, you will need the following to get 4K @ 60 Hz with 4:4:4 chroma subsampling support...

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B017BQ8I54

I initially thought R9 390X has an HDMI 2 slot.

Burning Typhoon said:
sergiodaly said:

@bold

you're not even curious about Vega and wait a bit just to see if it is worth anything against the TI?

No.  I've waited long enough for Ryzen 7 1800x.  Vega will either be slightly worse, or comparible to the Ti, (I think) and I can get the Ti sooner.

Ok. I will too build a R7 rig but i might go with Vega even if it is slightly worse. Hope it comes out in May. I think it will have better support for dx12 and vulkan than pascal and i predict that if it is slightly worse in performance, it will be alot cheaper. Not that money is a problem but if the gains are 10% i won't spend 30% more. (that was just a example, i don't know the Vega/1080 TI difference, obviously)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
Burning Typhoon said:

No.  I've waited long enough for Ryzen 7 1800x.  Vega will either be slightly worse, or comparible to the Ti, (I think) and I can get the Ti sooner.

Ok. I will too build a R7 rig but i might go with Vega even if it is slightly worse. Hope it comes out in May. I think it will have better support for dx12 and vulkan than pascal and i predict that if it is slightly worse in performance, it will be alot cheaper. Not that money is a problem but if the gains are 10% i won't spend 30% more. (that was just a example, i don't know the Vega/1080 TI difference, obviously)

May or early June is when Vega is supposed to launch.

JEMC said:
sergiodaly said:

They did say Q2, early June is more probable but i hope they surprise us. I follow their business closely because i occasionally trade their stock. Made good money last year and this year is shaping up for a good year too. Paying that rig I'm planning to build with the profits I've made on their stock.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
JEMC said:

They did say Q2, early June is more probable but i hope they surprise us. I follow their business closely because i occasionally trade their stock. Made good money last year and this year is shaping up for a good year too. Paying that rig I'm planning to build with the profits I've made on their stock.

During the last AMD Tech Summit, an AMD vice-president, Scott Herkelman, said that Vega was "just around the corner". Also, AMD is using Prey to promote Vega, and Prey which will launch in May:

But yeah, Vega could come a bit later and launch around Computex.