By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why don't Canadians care about defending our borders?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3321089/illegal-border-crossing-canada-refugees-deported-poll/

This makes me extremely sad. 1/2 of Canadians want illegal refugees from AMERICA to keep coming in. They don't face any danger, no persecution, yet people don't care! Might as well just open the gates to everyone Trudeau. We can't defend our boarders, our people don't want too, and frankly if the majority of our country has no sense to care, may as well! 

I wonder if Canadians even want to care. We have a PM who wastes billions over seas, loves free trade, is the fine example of establishment politicans, and could care less about Canadian citizens, I mean he's on vacation half the time anyway. I love this country, but I have little faith our future will be pretty. Despite that, Canadians love him for his "image". Sigh* I have dual citizenship, and sometimes I'm thankful I could always leave. But for most Canadians...

User is moderated for a violation regarding political threads - Aura7541

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Sounds like a working democracy to me. If you can't stand it anymore you can always move south. They don't give a shit about what half of the country wants there.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Sounds like a working democracy to me. If you can't stand it anymore you can always move south.

I could tell you a lot of reasons why that isn't true, but I don't want this to turn political...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Most Canadians are not into paranoia... the fear of the other is way stronger in USA than it is here.

How the hell would you even enforce what you're talking about. The border is massive. Illegal immigrants can either sit in the alley ways (and good luck in winter) or they can try to enter legally.

What exactly are you suggesting? A 20 trillion dollar border wall? a border patrol?

This quote from that very article

Dan Brien, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, said “trying to slip across the border in an irregular manner is not a ‘free’ ticket to Canada,” noting that all asylum-seekers were detained.

“If they are found to be inadmissible without a valid claim, deportation procedures are begun,” he said by email when asked about the poll.

This quote, is good enough for me.

Around the Network

These people are freezing to death to come to Canada ... they should be allowed in IMO, and then have a background check done on them. One guy literally lost like 4 of his fingers from frost bite ... in a civilized country that is fucking insane. These are "Christian values"? Really? You hypocrites, letting people freeze to death at your doorstep.

I'm for sensible immigration policy, but give me a fucking break, Canada is a monstrous land mass with a tiny population (35 million).

Canada has it easy, it's like 20 people wanting to come in and xenophobes still go crazy over it, jeezus, like it's a mental illness almost, your life is not going to be any freaking different if Canada accepts a couple hundred freezing people on their border. This is Trump's fault for forcing these people to run into the cold like dogs trying to get into to Canada with his ridicilous pandering to American xenophobes. Europe has a refugee crisis, Canada and the US don't. 

There shouldn't even be such thing as borders. They are arbitrarily defined lines that needlessly divide people.

barneystinson69 said:
vivster said:
Sounds like a working democracy to me. If you can't stand it anymore you can always move south.

I could tell you a lot of reasons why that isn't true, but I don't want this to turn political...

Uhh... the idea of Canada and borders themselves are political topics.

You can bet that if Canada bordered a country like Turkey where refugees pass through more people would be against it. At the moment, they are fairly sheltered - they'Ve only taken 40,000 Syrian refugees for example. Try taking in a million and see what happens.

Lawlight said:
You can bet that if Canada bordered a country like Turkey where refugees pass through more people would be against it. At the moment, they are fairly sheltered - they'Ve only taken 40,000 Syrian refugees for example. Try taking in a million and see what happens.

Yes, if Canada bordered Turkey it'd be much easier to scapegoat them, much like how the US has used the Mexican immigrants as scapegoats. It's classic divide and rule politics.