By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - *Rant* Why are Vita memory cards still so damn high!?!

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

See the funny thing is - the reason these cards remained expensive throughout the life of this console is.... they were very expensive to produce. As it turns out, manufacturing your own proprietary memory cards in relatively low quantities wasn't actually cheap at all, so I' not sure where you're getting that from.

That's the first time I've heard this. You are joking, right?

Nope.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

Or.... R&D to make your own technology is expensive?

Making something proprietary isn't expensive. It doesn't take more than taking already existing technology and applying a few simply measures.

It takes some, and they dont have the benefit that SDcard makers have that make 1,000 times the volume of memory cards that they do.

Theres something to be said for economics of scale.

Its just a dumb idea to try and make your own memory at this point, in our age & day.

Its a hardware design flaw in my opinion (waste of money). Same with the rear touchpad.

However unlike MS (kinect), they decided to go all in on it.

The prices of Vita memory cards shot up a few months back when the Vita was hacked, allowing you to install emulators and pirated games, created sudden higher demand for the larger memory cards 16gb and up.

Not that they were ever much cheaper to begin with.