By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will MGS4 live up to MGS2?

Who else here felt like they got kicked in the nuts when they realized that they paid good money to watch The Matrix Reloaded?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Onimusha12 said:
Dragon007 said:

Whether it's humorous or not is a matter of opinion, but questioning the realism of a fantasy game is downright ridiculous...

Then Hideo shouldn't have tried to tackle intense aspects of realism in a Fantasy Game.

Dragon007 said:

and I really don't think Kojima intended for MGS2 to be compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Then Kojima shouldn't have tried to play Stanley Kubrick.

There may have been aspects of realism but it's all happening within the fantasy realm, it's still a fantasy game thus it should be judged as one.

I also stress that it's a game, comparing it to a movie (a Kubrick one at that) is just silly.

It should. But MGS1 is better than MGS2, and MGS2 is better than MGS3.

"I just need to know why snake is old in MGS4?!!!"

He is a clone, he ages twice as fast. He isn't that age, he just has that appearance.

^Dragon, we realize that it's just a game but I'll mock anyone for trying to tackle an extremely complex subject and failing as miserably as Kojima did, no matter what media it involves.

A failure is a failure any way you look at it. If Kojima didn't think he could handle the task, he shouldn't have tried. That's all I'm saying. I'm particularly venomous toward MGS2 because I loved the first game so much.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Dragon007 said:
Onimusha12 said:
Dragon007 said:

Whether it's humorous or not is a matter of opinion, but questioning the realism of a fantasy game is downright ridiculous...

Then Hideo shouldn't have tried to tackle intense aspects of realism in a Fantasy Game.

Dragon007 said:

and I really don't think Kojima intended for MGS2 to be compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Then Kojima shouldn't have tried to play Stanley Kubrick.

There may have been aspects of realism but it's all happening within the fantasy realm, it's still a fantasy game thus it should be judged as one.

I also stress that it's a game, comparing it to a movie (a Kubrick one at that) is just silly.

If you use the fact that video games are fantasy to excuse them of any standard then there is no merit to weigh, value or criticize them in any way what-so-ever.

Your excuse for MGS2 is no different than a Director of a Movie claiming his movie wasn't made to be reviewed by critics.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
^Dragon, we realize that it's just a game but I'll mock anyone for trying to tackle an extremely complex subject and failing as miserably as Kojima did, no matter what media it involves.

A failure is a failure any way you look at it. If Kojima didn't think he could handle the task, he shouldn't have tried. That's all I'm saying. I'm particularly venomous toward MGS2 because I loved the first game so much.

You've got to remember that Kojima's writing was intended to be in Japanese. The translators had to take what was obviously complex material and create their own interpretation.

Yea, Kojima must be so ashamed to have made a game averaging 94.8% on gamerankings and selling around 7 milliion copies.

Jeez, get over yourself please, you may have been disappointed but don't pretend for a second that your opinion actually matters.

Even though this game came out at a time when allegations of Sony buying reviews were at their zenith.

Reviewers bought into the hype, everyone bought into the hype. No one was willing to admit this was bad game until well after it came out, everyone wanted to believe so badly it was the best game in history.

And if number of copies sold determined a game's quality then Halo3 is one of the best games ever made.

Onimusha12 said:
Even though this game came out at a time when allegations of Sony buying reviews were at their zenith.

And if number of copies sold determined a game's quality then Halo3 is one of the best games ever made.

Gamrankings has 72 different reviews. 65 are 90+. Are you honestly trying to tell me Sony bought out every known reviewer? Give me a break man and face the facts that you do not represent the whole gaming population.

By the way, 20+ of those reviews were 100%.