By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did you find M rated games to be "cool" as a kid?

Yep. Mortal Kombat was like... the greatest thing ever created to me and my friends.

Around the Network

Back then I had not idea what was "cool" and what not.  To me ALL videos games were cool.  But for some reason violent games were always my favorites. I used to spend hours (and all my money) playing Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter and the House of Dead on the Arcades.  Mind you, I am a really peaceful person in real life.

chakkra said:

Back then I had not idea what was "cool" and what not.  To me ALL videos games were cool.  But for some reason violent games were always my favorites. I used to spend hours (and all my money) playing Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter and the House of Dead on the Arcades.  Mind you, I am a really peaceful person in real life.

That just makes it creepier.

Paperboy_J said:
chakkra said:

That just makes it creepier.

Lol, how so?

Not really no, it honestly would annoy me more often than not if a game I wanted was M, because it meant I had to drag my mom into the store awkwardly and both look like petty fools. I probably would have traded whatever made those games M to not have to deal with that haha

Around the Network

as a kid, rated M games never appealed to me. they always seemed way too violent, and i didnt understand the appeal of just having a constant lineup of war simulators that all had to be violent and gruesome. and then there were the kids who had to go and brag about how many rated M games they owned, trying to be cool, thinking they were tough, etc.

so really i just saw rated M games as the ultimate edgy thing to have.

I dunno, even as a kid I just played games that looked fun. My parents didn't like me playing gorey games though, which sucked because Smash TV was the shit. I remember hiding GTA (the first one) when I bought it. I eventually slipped up and my parents saw me doing a chainsaw rampage in Vice City, that was a hell of a night.

Nah, they weren't cool. An interesting game is an interesting game, no matter its age rating.

Nope. Never liked them as a kid, still don't like them nowadays. The only M-rated games I like are Bayonetta 1&2, and honestly I see those as T-rated games (They were actually rated T where I live anyways).

No, but I also didn't care about what was cool as a kid. I didn't play my first M rated game until I was 15, and only after a demo really impressed me with its game play: the original Halo.